DVC has lost focus

However, I think the people who are "unhappy" are that way for a very simple reason:

They want to feel special.

and this I've never understood, why anyone would think it's Disney's responsibility to make you feel special ! What makes me and my family and friends feel special is the actual vacation, spending time together in a fantasy like setting, laughing & having fun. Yes, DVC is part of it but a small part at that!

For a family that goes every year for that length of time, yeah I would love to see some more perks, but we take what we can get and enjoy our vacation while we can with as little complaining as possible, because at any given moment it could all be gone anyway

By this do you mean we could all get hit by a bus tomorrow or that DVC could take it away, true perks come & go but the contractual obligations do not!.

I think many owners have a hard time distinguishing DVC from any old timeshare and in the end, it's just a timeshare! I'm sure in the beginning, it was a more special experience to be at the forefront of DVC ownership, the best kept secret! But times change!

When the annual passes went up by $60 last month and the DVC AP only went up $6, I'd say I felt special. They added the TIW card, which has been requested for a long time. DVC is giving benefits to the members but for some people they are not good enough, they always want more.

Anyone who relies on others or things to feel special need to find God only He can fill that void.

I see both sides and the more people share their points of perceptions the clearer it becomes.

Thank you all for your contributions to this string.

All I have to say is DVC one of the best vacation decisions my wife and I have made.

God Bless

When the annual passes went up by $60 last month and the DVC AP only went up $6, I'd say I felt special. They added the TIW card, which has been requested for a long time. DVC is giving benefits to the members but for some people they are not good enough, they always want more.

Either that or people only give consideration to how changes impact them personally. It's human nature to view the situation from that perspective at first glance but DVC cannot please all members, all the time. Better to focus their energies on things with the widest appeal.

To someone who doesn't buy APs, doesn't golf, doesn't use the Internet while on vacation, doesn't want/need the TIW card and doesn't shop at the Disney Store, it's very easy to be dismissive of all of those additions. And if that same person was a heavy user of the valet parking perk, that's probably how we get to "the DVC perks are nothing like they used to be!!!"

From a more objective POV, it's hard to argue that member perks are worse today than 5 or 10 years ago.

The current price of points has absolutely no bearing on an existing member's ability to use their existing points. If the price goes up, what does it matter to me? I am not planning on adding on. If anything, I see the current price and just think I'm glad I bought when I did.

Agree 100%.

Disney is allowed to make $$ and like any other company they are allowed to set a price for their goods and services based upon market conditions.

Why some want that regulated or think that Disney is being unfair for the prices they charge to buy into DVC makes no sense to me... :confused3

...a friend who said they wish they could afford it says how lucky we are... i tell them its a matter of choices... you and your wife smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day at over 400 dollars a month...you could quit... become healthier and purchase your own DVC....but it is their choice

We became members in 2007 @AKV the bought another one later @BLT.
Prices were what I was willing to pay...no complaints. We travel to DW at least twice a year. Airfare AP TIW DDP and Dues, all costs when added up is a fair commitment financially. NEVER NEVER once have I regretted it. Family Memories, Romantic Stays, Escapes from NE weather have been priceless.
When we stay we have had many conversations with total strangers and CM's sharing highlights and best "Disney Secrets". When we see young children and their reactions to Attractions and Characters it brings back many memories of our own. I always thought Walt was sharing "Possibilities"... and EVERY time I come back I see more of them, a place where we can all enjoy each other, be excited that your excited, engaged as a family or couple in the same experiences, learn new things, share cultures...AND ANXIOUS TO RETURN AGAIN....It does come with a price and you have to make choices....I choose to be part of it...including a member of DIS Groups...This is what makes me feel special.Thanks for letting me rant.

Does it seem that recently DVC has lost its way. It seems to me the focus is no longer on its members and the Disney way but on making the most money it can. Recently we have seen the benefits decrease. To where there is no real advantage being a DVC member. The prices have gone up at a increased level that is unjustified. It seems pure greed is taken over at DVC.
The member cruise last year was a disappointment. Disney cruise line was great the DVC part was lacking. The incentives were a slap in the face.

Us DVCers come to WDW on a regular basis and spend alot when we come. DVC has forgotten that.
They sell rooms for cash when they tell us their full. We are not paying dues so they can sell the rooms to cash customers.
I haven't had time to read the replies yet but I have a different take. DVC is really a prepaid accommodation program and no more. All the other options are just window dressing and no one should have bought with those as a make or break issue, nor should they cont to expect them to remain or be viable going forward. While I have seen minor changes with DVC, much of those have been for the better OR represented the right decision given the options available (valet parking & reallocations as examples). It may be that the other discounts for non DVC options and maint fees will erase the value of DVC but so far I haven't seen this. However, one needs to realize that DVC is an expensive option associated with a personal choice, that of staying on property at more deluxe locations. I can stay in 2 BR units in the area for cheaper than just paying the fees on enough points for a studio yearly. While I often prefer staying on property, I usually do so with exchanges anyway. The same principles apply for many destinations. For example, I write this looking out of my Ocean Front window on Kaanapali Beach. Timeshares in general are a balance of cost and choices. Knowledge and effort can often yield a lot of benefits and choices but like most situations, the first choice is often the most critical.

Tough life there Dean! :rotfl2: Enjoy the islands!

That pretty much sums it up, as you usually do.
Thanks, LOL. This week has been mostly work but the meeting finished a little while ago.

By this do you mean we could all get hit by a bus tomorrow or that DVC could take it away, true perks come & go but the contractual obligations do not!.!

Well... both LOL.

...a friend who said they wish they could afford it says how lucky we are... i tell them its a matter of choices... you and your wife smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day at over 400 dollars a month...you could quit... become healthier and purchase your own DVC....but it is their choice

We became members in 2007 @AKV the bought another one later @BLT.
Prices were what I was willing to pay...no complaints. We travel to DW at least twice a year. Airfare AP TIW DDP and Dues, all costs when added up is a fair commitment financially. NEVER NEVER once have I regretted it. Family Memories, Romantic Stays, Escapes from NE weather have been priceless.
When we stay we have had many conversations with total strangers and CM's sharing highlights and best "Disney Secrets". When we see young children and their reactions to Attractions and Characters it brings back many memories of our own. I always thought Walt was sharing "Possibilities"... and EVERY time I come back I see more of them, a place where we can all enjoy each other, be excited that your excited, engaged as a family or couple in the same experiences, learn new things, share cultures...AND ANXIOUS TO RETURN AGAIN....It does come with a price and you have to make choices....I choose to be part of it...including a member of DIS Groups...This is what makes me feel special.Thanks for letting me rant.

Oh I know... and I still have people that think we are crazy for becoming members because of the costs. But as you said, we CHOSE this. We chose to spend our money this way and this is what we enjoy. We too, look forward to going every year and it is simply what you said... a vacation. I don't want to think about spending money on my vacation, just having fun with my family and enjoying it. Of course, if there was something to help allieviate those costs in the end, I would not be against it - but i am not going to cry about it either.

Just to say that I am a very happy DVC member.

People often say that Disney ignore us because we are 'locked'. You know, we are alway free to sell our contract if we feel that DVC is not for us anymore.

As per the fact that we spend a lot while vacationning at Disney, it would be interesting to make a study on that.

Personally, I do coking in my unit so I go to the restaurants less than a cash guest.

Also, since I go to Disney more often, I do not buy much souvenirs anymore. How many Mickey plush do I really need ?? :rotfl2:

For the Perks, I am very happy with the annual pass discount.
We the recent increase, we now save near $300 for both of us, this is a nice perk !

Just echoing this sentiment. Maybe we are in the minority, but we spend way less in the parks (and resorts and shops) now that we have DVC.

Perfect example...my husband and I just checked out this morning after 3.5 days at SSR. Total cash expense? $10. and that was all in tips to Bell Services and Magical Express. We brought groceries for the villa. And when we ate out, we had Rewards Dollars from our Disney Visa. No real souvenirs...as was said, I don't need another Disney plush or t shirt or anything.

I should mention that we also flew down for free using my husband's miles. Used Magical Express, stayed in DVC, and this was a no-parks trip. So it was truly a free trip other than tips and groceries. (and I don't count the money spent on groceries since we would be eating that way at home.)

This morning reminded me how glad I am that we bought DVC. Disney just announced the AP room rates that would cover our fall trip. According to

7/13 DIS UPDATES:

Late Summer Offer

Discount is valid for stays most nights 8/17/12 - 9/29/12.

Enjoy smaller crowds, great weather and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! Get a great deal on room rates when you make a reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts from 8/17/12 - 9/29/12!

Sample Pricing: The following pricing is for select dates 8/19/12 - 9/29/12, Sunday – Thursday in a Standard Room. Sample pricing does not include tax. Rates will vary depending the resort, room type, and dates of travel. Click Here to see a list of the non-discounted Rates.

Disney's All Star Music Resort - $66/night
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - $115/night
Disney's Boardwalk Inn - $241/night
Old Key West Resort - $215/night

We'll be in a BWV 1 Bedroom for about $162/night (figured as cost of dues plus a prorated amount for initial buy-in times number of points required for the stay). That's way less than either of the deluxe studios and the prices listed above don't even include tax or weekend nights!

Without DVC, we'd be in a value or possibly a mod. With DVC, we are ever so comfortable in our 1 bedroom just steps away from the Boardwalk & EPCOT's International Gateway!

I am a happy DVC member and especially grateful for the discount members get on the APs!

Without DVC, we'd be in a value or possibly a mod. With DVC, we are ever so comfortable in our 1 bedroom just steps away from the Boardwalk & EPCOT's International Gateway!

I am a happy DVC member and especially grateful for the discount members get on the APs!

:thumbsup2 It's nice to always have a future trip to look forward to!

:thumbsup2 It's nice to always have a future trip to look forward to!
I've said many times that having future trips (usually pleural both DVC and otherwise) planned greatly diminishes post trip depression.

A timeshare is a timeshare is a timeshare. Dvc exists to make money--if it creates goodwill and magic on the side that's great--but the bottom line is profit

Perfect example...my husband and I just checked out this morning after 3.5 days at SSR. Total cash expense? $10. and that was all in tips to Bell Services and Magical Express. We brought groceries for the villa. And when we ate out, we had Rewards Dollars from our Disney Visa. No real souvenirs...as was said, I don't need another Disney plush or t shirt or anything.

I should mention that we also flew down for free using my husband's miles. Used Magical Express, stayed in DVC, and this was a no-parks trip. So it was truly a free trip other than tips and groceries. (and I don't count the money spent on groceries since we would be eating that way at home.)

Sounds like you had an awesome trip. For my family, most of that is just not realistic.

We really can only go down once a year during the summer (we are teachers) and I could never imagine a "no park" trip for us, ever. You also only went for 3.5 days, didn't have to pay for airfare and I couldn't ever imagine getting away with $10 tips expense! LOL! We also enjoy going to the in-park/hotel resturants too much to just do groceries.

Like I said earlier, when we go down for vacation, we get in as much Disney as we can for the year, so just staying at the resort would never cut it for us.

One day, maybe that will be an option, but I don't think anytime soon with a DD2.5 and a DS<1. :)

Sounds like you had an awesome trip. For my family, most of that is just not realistic.

We really can only go down once a year during the summer (we are teachers) and I could never imagine a "no park" trip for us, ever. You also only went for 3.5 days, didn't have to pay for airfare and I couldn't ever imagine getting away with $10 tips expense! LOL! We also enjoy going to the in-park/hotel resturants too much to just do groceries.

Like I said earlier, when we go down for vacation, we get in as much Disney as we can for the year, so just staying at the resort would never cut it for us.

One day, maybe that will be an option, but I don't think anytime soon with a DD2.5 and a DS<1. :)

I hear you....it was a while before we were able to vacation like this. For many years (when our kids were the ages yours are now), we had to get the most out of our Disney trips. I remember reading posts here on the DIS about "resort-only" stays and I was like, WHAT?!?!?! :lmao: I remember one trip in particular where every single TS meal we had was a character meal!

But that is one of the great things about Disney and DVC. Your vacations change as your family changes. Our kids have been 17 times (give or take...we keep losing count), so they are totally fine skipping certain parks or certain attractions on any given trip. They know we will be back and they know they will have plenty of opportunities to hit the parks and attractions then.

Our next plan is for me to do a one-on-one trip with each of the kids in the coming year or so. The child whose trip it is will get to choose which DVC we stay at, which parks, which rides, which restaurants...all of it. A custom-made trip just for him/her. I can't wait! I think it is going to be so great to see what each of my kids choose.

I think it is so exciting for you that you are just starting out with your children at Disney. You have so many years of magic ahead of you! And who knows...maybe in several years you will be the one writing a post about a relaxing Disney trip as opposed to a park commando trip! :thumbsup2

Our next plan is for me to do a one-on-one trip with each of the kids in the coming year or so. The child whose trip it is will get to choose which DVC we stay at, which parks, which rides, which restaurants...all of it. A custom-made trip just for him/her. I can't wait! I think it is going to be so great to see what each of my kids choose.

Wow! I love that idea. What wonderful Disney magic that will bring to each of your kids and they'll feel so special. :goodvibes

...I think it is so exciting for you that you are just starting out with your children at Disney. You have so many years of magic ahead of you! And who knows...maybe in several years you will be the one writing a post about a relaxing Disney trip as opposed to a park commando trip! :thumbsup2

Hehe yeah well we have been there planty of times ourselves. This will be going on our 12th trip together and obviously only the third year with kids.

We have already come off the "park commando" parts and basically just go to the parks and cruise through taking our time. Sometimes we only go for a few hours at a time and we actually do have a few non-park days scheduled, but I could not imagine goign for as long as we do and not entering a park, even just to go eat! LOL!

This year will be interesting with it being the first time with the two kids together. Wish us luck! :cool1:

Wow! I love that idea. What wonderful Disney magic that will bring to each of your kids and they'll feel so special. :goodvibes

Thanks! I think I am more excited than they are! :rotfl: We are extremely fortunate to be able to go to Disney frequently. And because of that, sometimes trips blend together or get confused. As in, "Which trip was it when..." But these trips will be SO unique that the memories will be really special. :goodvibes

Hehe yeah well we have been there planty of times ourselves. This will be going on our 12th trip together and obviously only the third year with kids.

We have already come off the "park commando" parts and basically just go to the parks and cruise through taking our time. Sometimes we only go for a few hours at a time and we actually do have a few non-park days scheduled, but I could not imagine goign for as long as we do and not entering a park, even just to go eat! LOL!

This year will be interesting with it being the first time with the two kids together. Wish us luck! :cool1:

Ha! Good luck....you'll need it! Just kidding! :lmao: Clearly you are Disney pros, so that will make all the difference. And being DVC members, you know you will come back annually so you will never feel that pressure to "do it all."

One thing we have loved over the years is that each trip it seemed one of our kids would reach some milestone that made the trip unique. The youngest one was old enough to really interact and engage with the characters for the first time, or this one was finally tall enough to ride Space, etc. Just different developmental stages along the way to make each trip meaningful and somehow different.

Here's something we have always done and is part of our family tradition that you might like since your kids are the perfect age to start it. Our kids love Tigger. He's a family favorite. So every trip we make sure to get a picture with Tigger and we use him as our very own height/growth chart for the kids! We have them stand back to back (or side by side) with Tigger and we see (measure) how high up on his stripes they are. And then we can compare with the other pictures we have taken over the years. The end result is that we have literally watched our kids grow up at Disney! I suppose you don't have to use Tigger...you can use any character or landmark. But since Tigger has stripes it just looks like the lines you would draw on the wall when measuring your kids' height.

I do agree with you about going into a park just to eat or watch the fireworks or something. Some of my favorite days are when we spent the whole day at the resort and pool...sleeping in, lounging about, the kids participating in the pool parties, etc. And then get dressed and head into Epcot just for dinner and Illuminations. Or maybe even to stroll World Showcase with an ice cream or something as simple as that. But my husband doesn't have an AP this year, so we didn't want to use an entire day of a ticket just for dinner, if that makes sense. So we decided on the resort-only route and LOVED it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter