Dumb Question about water in the parks and Brita water bottles

mrorke

Earning My Ears
I purchased Brita water bottles with the filters based on advice from DIS boards.

1. Should I flush the bottles as directed in the instructions at home or wait until I get to the resort?

2. Where can I get water to fill each day? Do I use the bathroom faucet or are there water fountains in the parks?

I purchased Brita water bottles with the filters based on advice from DIS boards.

1. Should I flush the bottles as directed in the instructions at home or wait until I get to the resort?

2. Where can I get water to fill each day? Do I use the bathroom faucet or are there water fountains in the parks?

2. There are water fountains all over. You can also get free ice water at any counter service location.

Any snack station will give you free ice water (tap water) if you ask them to. It's not usually advertised. They'll probably put it in a cup then you can just pour it into your bottle?

I don't know how the resort ones work with the new RF program.

I bought dd a Brita water bottle for school this year. She's doing an advanced fitness course, both semesters (girl is serious about her fitness!). I fill her bottle the night before and stick it in the fridge so it's still cold when class starts the next day.
Guess what? It leaked her school bag. We figured we must not have closed it properly.. Nope.. it leaked again even after being sure it was closed. Now she has to leave it in her locker and fill it at school to avoid wrecking all her notes.
This wasn't a slow leak either. By last period it was empty.:scared:

Anyway, having that experience I wouldn't bother with the bottle and would ask for the free ice water at the waterpark. It's less to carry anyway.

We might have a defective bottle though I can't see anything wrong with it.

Any snack station will give you free ice water (tap water) if you ask them to. It's not usually advertised. They'll probably put it in a cup then you can just pour it into your bottle?

I don't know how the resort ones work with the new RF program.

:thumbsup2

We have a Brita water bottle too. We flushed it at home, but we have been using it between when we bought it and our trip in November. I doubt it matters when you do it, and it takes like, 30 seconds, so if you prefer to wait until you're at the resort, go for it.

Ours has never leaked, FWIW.

We bought Brita bottles for all 5 of us two years ago and used them on our trip in 2012 and again this past June. We fill them with ice and water at the resort each morning. While in the parks, we just get cups of ice water from the snack stands/CS places to refill the bottles. We have never had any of our bottles leak.

I bought dd a Brita water bottle for school this year. She's doing an advanced fitness course, both semesters (girl is serious about her fitness!). I fill her bottle the night before and stick it in the fridge so it's still cold when class starts the next day.
Guess what? It leaked her school bag. We figured we must not have closed it properly.. Nope.. it leaked again even after being sure it was closed. Now she has to leave it in her locker and fill it at school to avoid wrecking all her notes.
This wasn't a slow leak either. By last period it was empty.:scared:

Anyway, having that experience I wouldn't bother with the bottle and would ask for the free ice water at the waterpark. It's less to carry anyway.

We might have a defective bottle though I can't see anything wrong with it.

We all have the Brita bottles and absolutely love them. DD did have a similar issue with her Brita bottle but it turned out that it was an error in putting on the cap. She put the cap on three or four times before she got it right. Now she has no problem with it.

OP, if you aren't planning to use the bottles before you get to WDW there is no need to flush them until then. If you are flying, keep in mind that they are great for travel. We take ours through security empty and then fill them (from a water fountain or sink) once in the terminal area.

Happy travels!

1) we wait until we get to the resort to flush the filters. If we got straight to a park we do it there. You just fill it up and squeeze the water back out. Only take a few seconds.

2) We get ice water from CS places or any place that has fountain drinks. A few places only have ice to give you, one I can think of is the small stand next to Rock n roller Coaster. If no place is convenient we fill them out of fountains. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting them out of the water faucets in the bathroom. But that's me.

Looks like I maybe just got a defective one. It's the hardsided one fwiw. I checked some online reviews today and apparently it's the seal? Glad to hear it isn't a problem with them all because I like the idea.

I didn't know the snack stands have water that isn't bottled. Like the pretzel and ice cream carts?

No the small carts don't. But the some of the bigger snack stands do. The one I was thinking about is next to RnRC. It's not a CS but sells more than just ice cream or popcorn, it's more like a trailer than a cart. They will give me cups of ice but won't give me ice water. We take the ice, put it in the Brita bottle, and fill it and the water fountain that's right around the corner.

I'm pretty sure that any stand that sells fountain drinks will have the ice water available for free. We left out Brita bottles at the resort since it was easier just to ask for the free water. I felt funny asking at first, but soon got over it:) Many cast members encouraged asking for the water since it was sooo hot!

I just bought a new Brita bottle myself (wanted a bigger one). Be sure to tighten not only the main cap but the small cap where the filter is as well.

I would wait until you get to your resort to flush the filter- it's not a major deal, you're just squeezing out one bottle full of water through it to remove any sediment.

You do need to be careful about leaving these closed up with wet filters in them for long periods of time, mold will grow.

I use these bottles too, and I have heard of leaking problems with the current model (the real old ones never leaked). Most of the problem seems to be with the hanging loop that goes around the top of the bottle near the thread. If you take that off, the bottle can seal more tightly and is not likely to leak.

We have used Brita bottles for years. Like a previous poster, I like to use it at the airport and take a full bottle on the flight with me, plus on ME and in line at check-in :)

I have found that I only need it at the park on hot days when I drinks lots of water. On a temperate day, I am content with getting cups of water. Although cups of water are free, there are times when there are lines at most snack/food areas. Drinking fountains were the most convenient.

We have used Brita bottles for years. Like a previous poster, I like to use it at the airport and take a full bottle on the flight with me, plus on ME and in line at check-in :)

I have found that I only need it at the park on hot days when I drinks lots of water. On a temperate day, I am content with getting cups of water. Although cups of water are free, there are times when there are lines at most snack/food areas. Drinking fountains were the most convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter