• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving to WDW from CT...

Wendy5055

DIS Veteran
It just seems that airfare has become so very costly that I am contemplating driving to WDW this year. Can anyone give me input such as distance, time, overnight stop (inexpensive but safe hotel/motel)?

I drive a Nissan Versa Hatchback (economy car) so I think I can do pretty well on mileage...I know it would be a minimum of $200 per person round trip (3 people) for airfare.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you can find airfare for about $600 total you would save money by flying.

I don't know what year car you have or where in CT you are coming from, but I quickly went to the AAA gas calculator. With a 2010 Versa, leaving from Hartford to Orlando would be $327.26 in gas round trip.

Then you need to factor in tolls (I would guess about $50.0 round trip)

Then a Hotel for going down and coming home ($100.00 each way)

Although you will pack food you will be bound to stop for something warm-Figure $75.00 total

Gas: $327.00
Tolls: $50.00
Hotel: $200.00
Food: $75

Don't forget to factor in the fact you will loose almost 4 days of your vacation (about 21 hours to drive each way)

With that being said, I've done the trip from RI twice, alone with three kids, and I MAY do it again in April if my income tax refund cooperates.

factor in the possiblity of traffic tie ups or the possiblity of you haveing car trouble. If you have car trouble then you have to find some one to fix it and hope they have the parts on hand to do it.

The wear and tear you are putting on your car.

I really think $200 per person for airfare is a good deal.

Like PP said 21-24 hours in travel time is wasted Disney time! And it might be a tight squeeze with 3 people and luggage in a small car would not make for a comfortable trip

What are the dates you are looking for. We have our airfare to Disney in Aug. with SW and it was $100/person to - return date not open yet. JetBlue is $130/person for our return date at this point. For me that would definitely beat driving. Have you checked all the other airports in the area to see if you can do better out of there. Not sure of your dates but I would keep checking.

I've driven from central Mass. 4 times, twice with just DW and 2 more times with kids, once when DDs were 2 and again last February, when they were 6. We have gone straight through 20 hours and we have had it take us almost 2 whole days.

If you are set on driving, try to drive when you are normally awake, or close to it as possible, in other words don't work all day or half of a day then try to drive all night. Check in with gas buddy and find good gas prices. Try to combine stops, if you have to make a potty break, fill the tank, get everyone out, stretch the legs and hopefully you won't have to make as many stops.

We have enjoyed our drives with the exception of last year, we hit traffic at every turn, hence the flights this year, plus the SW miles promo.

Watch out for the trucks on 95 and watch your speed at night they don't love us yankees

We've done the drive 3 times to Florida from Southeastern Mass. First time we stopped twice on the way down, 2nd time we stopped once and the last time we drove straight. It actually took us longer the 3rd time to get there than when we stopped. This year we are opting to try the train. Flights are $700/pp RT and with my AAA discount I can do the train from Boston for just over $1000 total. Granted it is in coach but if I can be in a car for 36 hours with my husband and 3 kids then I think 23 hours on a train is an option.;)

Mom2JaSaKa said:
We've done the drive 3 times to Florida from Southeastern Mass. First time we stopped twice on the way down, 2nd time we stopped once and the last time we drove straight. It actually took us longer the 3rd time to get there than when we stopped. This year we are opting to try the train. Flights are $700/pp RT and with my AAA discount I can do the train from Boston for just over $1000 total. Granted it is in coach but if I can be in a car for 36 hours with my husband and 3 kids then I think 23 hours on a train is an option.;)

Well said.... I don't fly, period.... We have done the drive, 1100 miles from northeastern Ohio, some trips straight thru and some with a stop overnight....

But then we discovered Amtrak, northeast Ohio to DC then DC down to Kissimmee... Cheaper than the drive plus the train moves while I'm sleeping.

We just came back from a driving trip, $240.00 r/t gas, 12.00 r/t tolls, 2 hotels (one each way) 200.00.....total R/T...452.00

Amtrak, coach for 2 adults R/T 458.00...

About the same amount of time but no wear and tear on car and road stress taking the train.... We thought we could drive straight thru like the old days, but sadly as we got alot older, that wasn't an option.... The train is some hours more, big layover in DC, but even with that, it's relaxing, comfortable traveling by train and seeing the states roll on by, feel like a nap, just close your eyes and when hungry grab a snack.... Never rule out train travel.... It's great riding "the rattler"!

I was planning on driving from CT too but we have six in our family. We were GOING to drive until I took my kids from Milford to East Haven and couldn't make it that short distance without three of my kids having to stop and pee and the youngest one peed her pants on the way into the restroom, thus creating a meltdown. ahhh, life with littles!

I'd say just fly. The cost of driving vs. flying seems comparable and it'll get you there in three hours rather than 2-3 exhausting and unpredictable days. we have always flown and used Disney Transportation without ever needing a rental car. The nice thing about living in CT is that we have so many airports to choose from, giving us a lot of options. Look into booking just one way each way. You may get a better deal rather than booking a round trip with one carrier.

Have a fun trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter