• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving route 81/77 to Hilton head - sightseeing along the way?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are planning a road trip from MA to Hilton Head DVC in August. We are looking to avoid most of 95 and use 81/77 routes.

I hear this route is very pretty but was wondering if there are any unique stops along either way?

Good hotels yo stay at? We plan to take 2 days going up and back.

Any other tips for the trip are appreciated!!

Hershey's Chocolate World is not far off of 81. The tour ride is free and they have a giant store too. I'm actually going to go there next month on my trip north.

If you plan on taking 78 to get to I-81 in Easton PA they have the Crayola Experience. My daughter was 5 when we did it and loved it. About 45 min off of 81 is Gettysburg.

In VA if you want a scenic drive you could do part of the Skyline Drive. Also look at Natural Bridge, Luray or Shenandoah Caverns, and the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library in Staunton.

In the Charlotte area there are a ton of NASCAR team shops. They are free and you can see them working on cars etc. CLT also has the NASCAR Museum and right outside there is Charlotte Motor Speedway and they have tours.

Also off just about every exit on 81 you will find food, gas, and hotels.

We always drive the 81/77 route when heading to Hilton Head and Disney (we're from New England, also). We usually stop at Hershey (Chocolate World, Hershey Park or Hershey Gardens.) There is a lot to do in the Hershey area. We've also stopped for the night in the Shenandoah National Park area and toured the National Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter