• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from DL to Sea World

natsprat04

Earning My Ears
I tried looking for a similar thread but I couldn't find it so i apologize if this has been talked about a gazillion times before.

We will be in Anaheim mid-September (Wednesday-Sunday), I wanted to know what would be a good day to visit Sea World with as less traffic as possible. How long of a drive is it? What time should we leave Anaheim for Sea World & back to make sure we don't hit rush hour? I appreciate all your input.

If you leave Anaheim after about 8:00 in the morning you should avoid traffic - maybe even earlier, since most traffic is northbound and not southbound.

Unfortunately, if you're going north from San Diego on a weekday, traffic starts around 2:30-3:00, and it'll probably take 2-1/2 hours to get to Anaheim (normally it's only 90 minutes!). So you might want to wait until after 6:00 to leave Sea World. On a Saturday you should have clear sailing going north (once you get past Del Mar), and coming south you're fine as long as you leave Anaheim before 9:00 a.m.

We have never really driven on LA freeways before & a little nervous about it as we don't really know what to expect. Is it really not as bad as people say? We are planning to rent a car. Do you think it's worth it to pay the extra money to get the GPS navigation system? Thanks.

Just in case you're interested, there's an Amtrak train that goes all day from Anaheim to San Diego, it's only something like 10 dollars per person, and I *think* there's a station closeby to Seaworld. No idea if that sounds good to you, but I always have to mention it! I think the name of the route is the Pacific Surfliner. And if you're a AAA member and book ahead of time, you can get 10% off.

Oh, and if you have kids under a certain age, they are half-off. If interested, check out Amtrak's semi-difficult website. :)

I personally couldn't even stand to be in the car going from San Diego to Anaheim with my brother, let alone driving...so if we go to San Diego on our upcoming trip, you can bet it'll be by Amtrak! (but I haven't yet done it)

I just checked on Amtrak.com and the fare from Anaheim to San Diego (SAN) is $24. The interesting thing is you can book your trip to Sea World and they'll have an Amtrak bus there at the station to get you there, and presumably back. Use the station code SDS. The fare for that is $30 including the train and bus. I didn't check the AAA discount, or whether you get a break if you book roundtrip.

interesting. that bus trip costs an extra 6 bucks (date i randomly picked was sept 19 and i got $26)! I guess they changed, or I had only priced it to san diego itself. An adult w/ AAA comes down to 18 w/o the bus. that direct trip is $10 for a kid 2-15, and if parent has AAA the total of one AAA adult and one AAA child is $27.

system won't let me do AAA check for train + bus, gives a phone#. Reg price one adult one child is $39.

I think i personally would skip the bus and grab a cab, assuming price for cab is ok.

I guess if one really wants to drive and/or really doesn't want that cash outlay, driving is cheaper! But for me, I'll take paying rather than getting grey hairs. :)

But from a post elsewhere seems like the OP really wants to drive...so, from peeking through my fingers at the road while my brother drove us....drive at a good clip, don't dillydally with merges or lane changes, use your mirrors and *know where you are going*... don't forget you do pay for parking and it can be a loooong walk, depending on where you end up parking.

Bah! All of you! It's EASY to drive from DL to Sea World. Take the 5 south. Get off at Sea World Drive. Follow the signs. Half a mile on your right.

Leave Anaheim about 7 am to head to San Diego. Leave San Diego about 7 pm to head back to Anaheim.

Average speed when traffic is moving: 75 MPH. At 70 no one will bother you. at 65 people will cruise past you. At 60 they will honk or direct hand gestures towards you. At 55 you should be on surface streets!

:rotfl2:

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter