• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive or bus from AKL?

EnchantedPrincess

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at the AKL in couple weeks. We will be driving, so we will have our car with us, but just wondering what the bus services are like from AKL to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. Should we drive to the parks or should we bus it? What are your experience?

Thanks!

We always ride the bus. It is a direct route...no stops at other resorts. The bus drivers know exactly where to go and how to get there, even around busy traffic. (like I know which roads to avoid at busy times in my home town). Plus, they let off really close to the entrance gates (especially at MK).

My vote is for the buses. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I'd take the buses. Even having been to Disney many, many times - and most of the time with a car, I got lost coming back to the AKL from the MK one night. We missed a turnoff and ended up off the property. Then to get back I couldn't find the turn back to AKL and ended up off the property in another direction - how this happened I'm still not sure. So I'd vote for the buses

We always drive to WDW and have stayed at AKL.

I would definitely drive to Epcot and HS time is valuable in WDW and this will be much faster.
I would definetely take the Bus to MK -- at MK the parking lot is at the TTC and you still have to take a boat or monorail to get to the entrance whle the bus drops you right there.

DTD is the only debatable one -- this can vary on when you are going (day , time etc.) as parking can be difficult there. but I would tend to drive there also.

We always take the bus from AKL to any of the parks, whether we have a car or not. The trip is short enough, and we're on vacation so there's no need to rush to get somewhere! Have fun!

Always used the buses and they weren't that bad. There were a couple times it seemed like forever but I think we had just missed the bus and that was why the wait was so long. One morning it did stretch to 45 minutes which ticked me off but what can yo do!

another consistent bus user here. I love not driving for the week and the bus is direct and so much easier to not have to worry about turns or gates or walking from the parking lot.

I have stayed at AKL three times and always use the buses to get to the parks. I always have a car when at WDW and when I stay at other resorts (mostly, YC), I do drive to AK (the bus ride from YC to AK just seems unusually long, so I just think it is easier to drive there). But, at AKL, I have never had the feeling that driving is really much of an advantage, so I always use buses.

Agreed, use the buses. I am on vacation so I let Disney do the driving. We always drive down and once we park, we don't see the car again until we leave.

Agreed, use the buses. I am on vacation so I let Disney do the driving. We always drive down and once we park, we don't see the car again until we leave.

of being on vacation if you have to drive?:confused3
The bus may (or may not) take a little longer, but it's great family time together. We park the car and forget it until its time to go home.:thumbsup2

I love not having to drive. Wonderful Husband and I never drink and drive, so only one of us could have a drink with dinner otherwise. With the bus, we can each have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner and not feel a bit of concern. :drinking1
I don't learn my way around quickly and getting lost at Disney would not be fun.:car:

We will be staying at the AKL in couple weeks. We will be driving, so we will have our car with us, but just wondering what the bus services are like from AKL to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. Should we drive to the parks or should we bus it? What are your experience?

Thanks!
I'm taking my car. I've read some reviews about people waiting 45-60 mins to get on a bus....its free to park when you stay on property. I think if we were at a closer resort i'd use the buses, but seriously the thought of standing for an hour for a bus at night waiting to go to back to the room after standing in lines all day freaks me out. Its as good 25 min ride to the MK from the resort. Either way-good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter