Drinking around the world ... for a lightweight?

Packy2003

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
We are heading to Disney in June for our honeymoon/my 30th birthday! It's my first time as an adult and my spouse's first trip ever. We wanted to drink around the world in EPCOT, but I am a super lightweight. I can have maybe 3-4 drinks before things start running into me. I was wondering if anyone who has done this before has some tips on the BEST drinks since I have to limit myself. I enjoy sweet/fruity/frozen drinks, but will try almost anything!! Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer!!

It might be a success to reach the top of Mount Everest (the real one, not the one in Animal Kingdom), but if you crash and burn on the way down, doesn't seem to be as good a story.

If you plan on having more than a few of anything, stick with beer or stick with wine.

The frozen drinks in France typically seem to win rave reviews if you need something with the sugar that will likely make you sick....

Margarita's inside Mexico work for some people too.....

And China seems to have a heavy hand, so you might take that into consideration.

I love the frozen margaritas outside the Mexico pavilian. However last time DH and I were talking to some CMs and they said that the margaritas that they sold inside were much better.

I also love German beer.

I love the frozen margaritas outside the Mexico pavilian. However last time DH and I were talking to some CMs and they said that the margaritas that they sold inside were much better.

I also love German beer.
Agreed, inside Mexico serves the better margaritas with some interesting flavors.

When are you going? If you are going durning the flower and garden festival I saw some cool stuff on the specialty menus that come out just for the festival. I am an extreme lightweight lol I seriously don't usually drink at all except on holidays I may have a glass of wine but that's really it. Anyways I also like the fruity stuff and wine is my fav I usually don't drink anything else. While I was browsing the specialty menus for the festival I noticed this 1 place is going to be serving sparking pineapple wine. Now again I don't really drink but that just sounds amazing so I might have to try that lol.

If you're a light weight and want to try fitting in more than a few drinks, try seeing your hubby will share some with you. You get more drinks to try, but wont get crazy drunk.

Drinking around the world for me consists of only three drinks.

Mexico - margarita
Germany or Italy - white wine
France - Grey Goose Slushie

Pace yourself for maximum enjoyment. :drinking1

The more you mix alcohol, particularly those with added sugar, the more likely you will get very intoxicated.

Also, if going during Flower & Garden, I have read that beer portion-sizes have been reduced. This would make beer the best option for someone looking to try many things. Wine works for most people too, although, some people are allergic to sulfides used to make nearly all wine.

And as mentioned in PP, France & inside Mexico are better than most and would be more than enough [2 drinks] for any self-described light-weight.

Do not mix alcohols. Do not over drink alcohol on a very hot afternoon walking in the sun.

How long is your vacation? You might want to break up your drinking around the world into 2 or 3 different days/evenings. That way you can sample without feeling terrible the next morning ;). Just be sure to snack around the world at the same time and you should be A-OK :)

I think its fun, and I too like the fruity drinks! In Mexico I don't like the mixed Margaritas, just the simple regular frozen Margarita! In Italy I truly love the "red champagne" or Rosa Regale it has the fragrance, and taste of strawberries! and its a "champagne"! I agree with those that stop in France for a Grey Goose Slush again, its refreshing lemon/lime drink! All of these are very popular, you see them around while walking -

but

If not for these questions on the Dis I would've never tried a Welsh Dragon in England's Rose and Crown! You can get it to go in a souvenir glass, (the glass cost extra) you can have it in the bar in a nice bar glass - it is green... I do not like creme de menthe, and honestly the first time I ordered I asked about "holding the menthe" The waitress said to try it, you won't taste it, and if I don't like it, she'll bring me another - she was right! The fruity-ness of the drink hid the taste of the menthe, but gave it the color green! Its a great drink! I'm sure if you google Welsh Dragon, then hit images, you'll see what I'm talking about - or I'm sure you could sure welsh dragon here on this forum and get the same!

Have fun! That's what its all about, trying new things (new to you) it's a good thing!

I also tried ice wine due to these boards in Canada, I loved learning how special the harvesting of the grapes, and how little juice, but very sweet and dry at the same time! Its expensive, so I wouldn't buy a bottle, but to try it? At Disney, I have a budget for new and different!

What is a Grey Goose slushie?

Like the PP said it is Grey Goose Vodka, lemon slushy - its light refreshing, lemonade!

The orange Gran Marnier is more "warm"... if you have had the Gran Marnier you'll understand, but its not a bright orange/citrus flavor at all! I love Gran Marnier - straight up though, and in the hot Florida sun, I prefer the lemonade slush!

For me it's 2 places...a grand marnier slushie in France and a 'Rita in Mexico. I have also gotten some drink in China. Drink water in between drinks. We were at F&W last year with friends and let me just say that was an experience. We went all the way around the world and hit many many booths. I was feeling no pain. But I'd drink water between drinks and we also spent some time resting in the Chase lounge where we drank free soda. Having food with each drink probably helped too. Have fun and happy honeymoon/birthday!!

If it's there (sometimes you can find it) the alcoholic Dole Whip is what I like to drink/eat. They do light/dark rum and I've found it at Epcot during Flower and Garden. But I always grab a margarita in Mexico, and I can never remember which of the three flavors I like most. I feel like it's the mango-ish one, but to be safe I usually get one that mixes all three.

This grand marnier slushie sounds delicious...I'm gonna have to seek that out next time! :drinking1

Definitely see if you can split with someone. Saves money and prevents you from getting more drunk.

I believe when I went we did:

France - Champagne/Mimosas
UK - Strongbow Cider
Canada - Some mixed drink (They have beers, try a moosehead)
Mexico - Tequila shot and Margarita (probably don't do that, you can get a beer like Corona here)
Norway - Ice Shots (don't do that)
China - Plum Wine
Germany - I think I got the Reisling wine here, but they have Oktoberfest
Italy - Limoncello was so good! But you can probably get wine
America - Beer
Japan - Sake, though I think they had a wine that tasted like cake.
Morocco - I had what was called a Morrocorita. Everything started hitting me at this point. They should have something more tame.

Definitely get the Orange, Grand Marnier slush drink in France. It is so good.

This is my second favorite drink in Epcot, my very very favorite is the Happy Lychee in China. Sweet & Strong. Just like me :-)

We drink around the world but typically what we will do is share a drink in country one, share a snack in country 2, share a drink in country 3 (and so on alternating around) then we take a break and go do some rides/shows and later in the evening we start again, this time country one is a snack, country 2 is drink (and so on). So ultimately we end up with a drink & snack from each country. For us, sharing and pacing ourselves works best. If not I would just hang out in China and drink Happy Lychees all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter