Dragon Boat Racing

Gaspode

<font color=blue>Its threatening and romantic....
Hiya,

I'm taking part in some Dragon Boat Racing for charity on Sunday
(8th June).... Was mainly just wondering if anyone else has ever done this? It sounds like fun... I think... LOL!

We have to be able to swim in light clothing and be prepared to get wet so does anyone know why this is? Is it likely we will fall in??!

Will have to post some pics in the aftermath.

If anyone wants to donate I have Paypal ;)

Cya,
Gaspode

CH-Dragon%20Boat.jpg

How fast will it go? :p

I saw some pics on the 'Net since I had never heard of this. It's a rowing/sculling contest on small boats with a dragon theme?

Looks cool; I hope all goes well!

We're having dragon boat races here this weekend, but we're going to be away.:( I often watch our local team practice in the summer because they go out at the same time as my kids are out canoing. It's amazing to watch all of these women who are breast cancer survivors making this huge canoe speed through the water. It chokes me up every time. A lot of the teams that will be here are made up of bc survivors. They've found that the excercise keeps problems from forming in their arms.

Good luck in your race Melissa!

Alan LOL! I'm thinking since there are only ten of us and the drummer it won't be *quite* that size... but not far off I'm sure ;)

Kathy - Sounds like a really heartening event :) We will be competing with other people from around the region/nation (I'm not sure which). Our team all work in the same area of the University. Our leader used to compete nationally at Dragon boat racing, so perhaps we have the edge? LOL, with me in the boat (I get seasick on most vessels, don't like water and only ever sat in a canoe once whilst a Girl Guide and hated it!!)... I doubt it very much!!

Thanks for your support!
Cya,
Gaspode

Dragon Boat Racing History

The Dragon Boat Festival falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese Lunar calendar. Chinese people celebrate this day by wrapping rice dumplings in bamboo leaves and hold Dragon Boat races. The celebration of this festival is a tradition that has lasted two thousand two hundred and ninety-two years, to commemorate the great poet Chu Yuan (343 - 290 B.C.)

Chu Yuan lived during the Warring States Period. He was a minister of the Ch'u State, which was among the seven strong nations. After Ch'u State became a major power, Ch'u leader, King Huai indulged in women and alcohol. Chu Yuan tirelessly tried to persuade King Huai to amend his course and this offended the corrupt King. Chu Yuan was sent into exile to the North shore of the Han River. Tormented by his worries about the future of his country, he wrote the everlasting epic "Li Shao" - meaning "Sorrows, away from the fatherland", in the hopes of bringing King Huai to his senses.

In the meantime, under ill advice, King Huai was tricked into attending a summit meeting with the King of Chin in Chin's territory. He was detained and died in captivity. Subsequently, the Chin army defeated the Ch'u army and occupied one third of the Ch'u territory. After the son of Huai became King, he re-appointed Chu Yuan to a prominent position. Chu Yuan succeeded in convincing the Chin and Chao states to form a united front and defeated Chin, thus reclaiming all lost land. When the new king saw that his kingdom was again strong and secure, he also indulged in women and alcohol, and was under bad influence of corrupt advisors. Once again, Chu Yuan was banished into exile, to the Miluo River community in Hunan. There he wrote "Ask Heaven", "Nine Songs" and other patriotic poems. The King remained unrelenting, Chin again attacked Ch'u and occupied half of its territory, including its capital.

Chu Yuan was heartbroken. He jumped into the Miluo River on the fifth of May to commit suicide, hoping to awaken the people of Ch'u with his death and become concerned about their own futures. The people in the River community went in their boats and combed the Miluo River, hoping to save Chu Yuan. Unfortunately, their efforts were fruitless. The people, saddened by the loss of a wise, conscientious and courageous poet, burned incense and threw sacrificial food (meat and rice), packed into bamboo trunks, into the river. Thereafter, every fifth day of the fifth month, the people of this river community commemorated this day by holding boat races on the Miluo River to remind themselves and their children and grandchildren of the teachings of Chu Yuan to be united and protect their country.

In the one hundred years or so following this event, the boat used in the boat races evolved into highly decorated dragon boats and the food-packed bamboo trunks were replaced by glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves, in sweet and salty flavours. The celebration of dragon boat races and bamboo rice dumplings spread throughout China and became one of the most popular folk festivals. Today, it is celebrated throughout the world in all Chinese communities.

Since my mom and dad, who are from China, are staying with us for a few days, we celebrated the holiday yesterday, eating the sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves -- yummy!!

Good luck on the Dragon Boat races!

Thanks for the info Deb, what an interesting history this sport has!!

I'll be posting some pics as soon as I can for those who are interested.

Our team raised 806 GBP (about 1,330 USD). Unfortunately, we lost all our races :( but we still claim we came second in our final one. They clocked the times as us at 1 minute and 37.94 seconds and the other team as 1 min and 36.14 seconds so it was very close and my Dad filmed it and it looks like we actually beat them but never mind LOL

I am pleased to say tho that we didn't fall in and over the three races we took part in we improved our time by over 20 seconds!

It was amazingly hard work! I am very very tired and sore, but lots of fun, if you get chance, give it a go!

Cya,
Gaspode

Congratulations! It still sounds like you did well and raised some good money besides.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Deb - thanks for the history; it was very interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter