• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dr. Jones and the Spitting Camel - Link to Alaska Cruise TR 9/18

LOVE the sundresses you got. And while I'm not into HP, I can tell how cool those items are.

So funny, probably the last thing I thought I'd be buying but I've gotten a ton of use out of them.

I don't know why I torture myself reading about souvies that I can't see. Glutton for punishment, I guess! :rotfl:

I have to say that there is NOTHING WRONG with cool guitar picks! I, personally, love that kind of stuff. go figure! :laughing:

Well you will just have to come back and see what I got (though you've seen the sundresses and one of the shirts live lol).

Great purchases, Cythina. I love your "sparkly pants" and your sundresses. Sundresses are my mission this trip.

Not something you can find up here, at least not at those prices, they were everywhere at universal but the YC gift shop had a decent selection and I'm sure there are some in DTD as well.

Right nifty wares C!

That reminds me...I need more coffee.
Thanks!

Me too. Always. :rotfl:

Super cute sundresses, love them! I wouldn't think you could find something like that at Disney, but just goes to show that they have everything! :rotfl:

- Christine

I wouldn't have thought of it either. We kind of stumbled on them at the YC gift shop, it was a spur of the moment purchase where Sandie bought all 3 of us sundresses (same style, different pattern) and then there were TONS at Universal and I spied the red one just while cutting through the racks of one of the outdoor shops. They've gotten a ton of use, you can't find stuff like that here especially at those prices.

I could use some input here. I am helping my best friend, single mom with 2 kids (DS 12 DD 9) book a trip!

I've got her, with free dining, at POR over President's weekend, 15th-23rd. First visit for all of them! Given that they will want to do MK first and then it hits a CRAZY busy weekend I'm thinking they should wait to do WWOHP until their last day, the 22nd. Her kids are super boring eaters...as in plain noodles kind of eaters. BLEH! LOL. So I'm trying to match up what they will eat with value for the dining plan and have made the following initial ressies.

What am I missing? Any better ideas? I have a list about twice this long with options but she's like..whatever you think works for me! Trying to keep her in park as much as possible so it's not overwhelming to get to their meals.

Dinners
  • Crystal Palace
  • Biergarten
  • Tusker
  • Chef Mickey's
  • Mama Melrose
  • 1900 Park Fare (may switch to Askerhaus but they were asking for CC to reserve)

Lunch (based on arrival they have an extra credit)
  1. Le Cellier

We've got one more credit to play with for a breakfast or lunch but I don't want to duplicate. She may end up with CRT for breakfast and drop the LeCellier but that seems like such a rip off to me on the credits. I think a breakfast would have to be in park and so maybe Akserhaus for that one? (2 princess meals though, her son might flip out lol).

So funny, this one was hard for me as they are such picky eaters!

What do you guys think of this line up for a bunch of newbies??? Idea's welcome! With it being a capacity weekend I wanted to get some things in the system but it all can change. I know from experience not to trust the park hours for that weekend so it's a little hard to plan but have used touring plans to pick days and times as best I can.

I could use some input here. I am helping my best friend, single mom with 2 kids (DS 12 DD 9) book a trip!

I've got her, with free dining, at POR over President's weekend, 15th-23rd. First visit for all of them! Given that they will want to do MK first and then it hits a CRAZY busy weekend I'm thinking they should wait to do WWOHP until their last day, the 22nd. Her kids are super boring eaters...as in plain noodles kind of eaters. BLEH! LOL. So I'm trying to match up what they will eat with value for the dining plan and have made the following initial ressies.

What am I missing? Any better ideas? I have a list about twice this long with options but she's like..whatever you think works for me! Trying to keep her in park as much as possible so it's not overwhelming to get to their meals.

Dinners
  • Crystal Palace
  • Biergarten
  • Tusker
  • Chef Mickey's
  • Mama Melrose
  • 1900 Park Fare (may switch to Askerhaus but they were asking for CC to reserve)

Lunch (based on arrival they have an extra credit)
  1. Le Cellier

We've got one more credit to play with for a breakfast or lunch but I don't want to duplicate. She may end up with CRT for breakfast and drop the LeCellier but that seems like such a rip off to me on the credits. I think a breakfast would have to be in park and so maybe Akserhaus for that one? (2 princess meals though, her son might flip out lol).

So funny, this one was hard for me as they are such picky eaters!

What do you guys think of this line up for a bunch of newbies??? Idea's welcome! With it being a capacity weekend I wanted to get some things in the system but it all can change. I know from experience not to trust the park hours for that weekend so it's a little hard to plan but have used touring plans to pick days and times as best I can.

Cynthia, I would knock out Crystal Palace for dinner and make that a breakfast and, if possible, do that early morning ADR. If you drop Crystal Palace for dinner and need another one, I would go with The Plaza -- simple, basic food that should please everyone. We were very disappointed with Biergarten in September, but at least there is something for everyone (and I believe there were noodles, etc.).

everything seems pretty good, but i was going to suggest to knock off the beirgarten one, as i loved the food but with picky eaters, not sure the kids will find much they like there.

if your looking for a fun time would they eat, the chicken from tappen edu? dont they serve noodles there?

we liked 1900 park fare, seemed like they had a large variety of food there for everyone.

Cynthia, I would knock out Crystal Palace for dinner and make that a breakfast and, if possible, do that early morning ADR. If you drop Crystal Palace for dinner and need another one, I would go with The Plaza -- simple, basic food that should please everyone. We were very disappointed with Biergarten in September, but at least there is something for everyone (and I believe there were noodles, etc.).

Believe it or not there is nothing at the Plaza that her DD would eat, she doesn't do sandwiches or burgers. While I like the Plaza myself, I can't imagine doing it for dinner as it just seems like lunch food but that's just me. CP would be a great breakfast but I'd love for them to have somewhere "special" for that first night at the MK and outside of doing 2 credits for CRT I don't see a good option as Mama Melrose is the best Studio fit since PTC and Sci Fi actually doesn't work very well given their options. Her DD would end up only having a milkshake at Sci fi! Which I'm sure she'd be fine with but....LOL. It doesn't help that her DD, at non buffet locations, is limited to the kids menu and she doesn't eat pizza or nuggets or fish. Makes it close to impossible.

They are German, hence the Biergarten, she wanted that one.

everything seems pretty good, but i was going to suggest to knock off the beirgarten one, as i loved the food but with picky eaters, not sure the kids will find much they like there.

if your looking for a fun time would they eat, the chicken from tappen edu? dont they serve noodles there?

we liked 1900 park fare, seemed like they had a large variety of food there for everyone.

They are German so she loves the idea of Biergarten, which reminds me, I should try to figure out show time, hopefully I made the ressie at a good time for that. It does have a whole kids section with all the usual kid fare, I remember Kendall getting her entire meal from there in 2009.

Teppan does have noodles but not the kind she will eat. She is literally a plain pasta with butter and bagels and cream cheese kid. It's about all she will eat. Her DS is better but not great. I'd suggested Ohana and she didn't feel they'd eat anything off of that menu.

Hi Cynthia :wave: I've been lurking on this TR and commented a couple of times on the "How do we stay so happy" TR, love them both, sad to see this one coming to an end.

As far as ADR recs, they might like 50's Prime Time Cafe...lots of down-home cooking, not a lot of funny sauces. Just an idea. :goodvibes

Alex & I are super picky eaters so we generally go with the more basic restaurants. Here are our favorites:

MK - Crystal Palace breakfast & Chef Mickey's dinner

Epcot - Teppan Edo - they can skip the seeds in the noodles if they ask & the chicken & steaks are pretty basic. I think they should give it a try. They also serve white rice - a favorite of mine. :rolleyes1 We also like Le Cellier but would stick with lunch due to the credits.

DHS - 50s Prime Time for sure! We didn't really like Mama Melrose's but if plain pasta is what they are looking for, then maybe?? Sci Fi was pretty basic food, but not a good bang for your buck with the DDP - a decent lunch option (maybe even OOP as an alternative to a CS meal if they would be short on CS credits?). Would they want to do a Fantasmic dinner package? If so, Mama Melrose's is probably the way to go - better than Hollywood & Vine.

AK - The only TS we've done there is Tusker House breakfast but it's a little exotic as far as buffets go. I'd probably stick with CS there.

I think 1900 is a good princess meal when there's a boy involved. :thumbsup2

Anyways... I think you have some great choices & they will have a great time with your planning help!

I'll take it a step back and question if "free" dining is really the best choice for newbies with only 2 adults and 1 child getting dining? One for the money and two for tying them down to TS meals with picky eaters.

You have a lot of buffets and I think that is great! There is always something there for a picky eater- they can choose what they want.

Mama Melrose obviously has pasta and Le Cellier does as well! That is what my youngest ordered from the kids menu on our July 2010 trip. Pasta? Seriously? At a steak place?

I agree with you that the Park Faire is the best of the Princess/Character dinners for them.

What about Coral Reef? Not so much for the food as the atmosphere? Are there things on the menu that would interest the family? Disney didn't make that signature, did they?

Cape May Cafe. there has got to be something there they would like and the location is great.

It's hard for me to believe that DD doesn't eat sandwiches.

I think CP or TH for breakfast is wonderful.

Via Napoli? Anything there?

Sci Fi???? Or too sandwichy?

I give up.

Anyway - I have seen most of your souvies! :rotfl: but the ones I didn't see I really like! :thumbsup2

Hi Cynthia :wave: I've been lurking on this TR and commented a couple of times on the "How do we stay so happy" TR, love them both, sad to see this one coming to an end.

As far as ADR recs, they might like 50's Prime Time Cafe...lots of down-home cooking, not a lot of funny sauces. Just an idea. :goodvibes

Hi and :welcome: LOL, the downhome cooking is actually not at all what her youngest will eat, but even if it was, at PTC she'll be stuck with the kids menu which has nothing on it she'd touch except maybe the chicken noodle soup appetizer. I had that pretty high up on the list until I looked at the kids menu. When we went to PTC, those of us not on the kids menu loved our meals but the E's were less than thrilled with theirs.

Alex & I are super picky eaters so we generally go with the more basic restaurants. Here are our favorites:

MK - Crystal Palace breakfast & Chef Mickey's dinner

Epcot - Teppan Edo - they can skip the seeds in the noodles if they ask & the chicken & steaks are pretty basic. I think they should give it a try. They also serve white rice - a favorite of mine. :rolleyes1 We also like Le Cellier but would stick with lunch due to the credits.

DHS - 50s Prime Time for sure! We didn't really like Mama Melrose's but if plain pasta is what they are looking for, then maybe?? Sci Fi was pretty basic food, but not a good bang for your buck with the DDP - a decent lunch option (maybe even OOP as an alternative to a CS meal if they would be short on CS credits?). Would they want to do a Fantasmic dinner package? If so, Mama Melrose's is probably the way to go - better than Hollywood & Vine.

AK - The only TS we've done there is Tusker House breakfast but it's a little exotic as far as buffets go. I'd probably stick with CS there.

I think 1900 is a good princess meal when there's a boy involved. :thumbsup2

Anyways... I think you have some great choices & they will have a great time with your planning help!

I'll run Teppan by her, she was so against Ohana that I discounted it as they don't like teriyaki but you never know. They are actually over on the TS based on their flight times and doing HP one day so may well end up moving to a 2 credit meal but if so it will probably be CRT. I do think 1900 is a better choice though.

I'll take it a step back and question if "free" dining is really the best choice for newbies with only 2 adults and 1 child getting dining? One for the money and two for tying them down to TS meals with picky eaters.

2 adults on the meal plan but it is one adult and 2 kids. It is the 9 year old who is super picky, 12 year old not so bad. I think it's a fair question. She does want to do several buffets and had planned to do sit down meals once a day already. Not to mention the fact as a single mom, she wants and needs some scheduled breaks in there.

Otherwise she'd be paying rack rate plus full buffet prices which is definitely pricier than the DDP kids meal price. Her original plan was do to POP but really didn't want the QSP at all. A PIN code would be a better fit for them but without any other offers out there, at present it's the best deal for them. This way she gets to upgrade to a mod and not think about the buffet prices for what she'd have paid for POP and OOP. Does she save over that option? Probably not, I've not costed it out, but it is the only way she'll be able to do a mod. If she gets a PIN code though, I'd probably recommend she switches, depending on the deal. Given that it's President's weekend, I'm doubtful that since free dining runs till the tail end, that they will offer anything else but you never know.

You have a lot of buffets and I think that is great! There is always something there for a picky eater- they can choose what they want.

Mama Melrose obviously has pasta and Le Cellier does as well! That is what my youngest ordered from the kids menu on our July 2010 trip. Pasta? Seriously? At a steak place?

I agree with you that the Park Faire is the best of the Princess/Character dinners for them.

What about Coral Reef? Not so much for the food as the atmosphere? Are there things on the menu that would interest the family? Disney didn't make that signature, did they?

I mentioned Coral Reef but it didn't appeal to her, I would think it would work but it's funny, I hadn't looked at the kids menu's in so long I forgot how awful and limiting they are. She's a very adventurous eater and doesn't want to be completely tied to just what the 9 year old will eat (as they'd all starve) but trying to balance it. I'd suggested HDDR but they don't like fried chicken or ribs! It does make me grateful for my own kids.

Cape May Cafe. there has got to be something there they would like and the location is great.

It's hard for me to believe that DD doesn't eat sandwiches.

I think CP or TH for breakfast is wonderful.

Via Napoli? Anything there?

Sci Fi???? Or too sandwichy?

I give up.

Anyway - I have seen most of your souvies! :rotfl: but the ones I didn't see I really like! :thumbsup2

Cape May is on the list I sent her, both for breakfast and dinner. That said, giving her directions on how to get there seems more complicated than getting them to CM or 1900 Park Fare but would be a great breakfast if she can manage it. She's a bit overwhelmed by the concept of getting places right now so trying to keep that as simple as possible. Sci Fi is too sandwhichy (and a rip off for dinner on the DDP if you ask me). Via is definitely an option for them and is on the list she has.

My challenge with CP or TH for breakfast is that right now they have dinners booked at both so it would be duplicating... I had no idea her daughter was so bad but you know what? When I think back to HS, she was the same. An absolute nightmare. I think she lived on cereal and salad.

:rotfl:

Almost 7 years now, Taylor was 12 when we married. I've never tried to mother either one of them, they have a good mom and don't need that. I'm a friend, a bonus adult who cares deeply and I do think overall I have a good relationship with both of them. I do know his mom experienced a lot of the same thing last summer and fall so it wasn't me or the step thing, just a lazy, self centered teen. He is a bit better one year later. I think it just surprised me that without Jeff there he didn't try to step up to the plate. I do think he would now.

Twenty-three years later for me and I'm still not sure either of mine would step up and offer to help. :sad2: And they are both married with kids of their own now...actually with teenagers of their own
smiley_signinsertevillaughhere.gif
and in one case - step-kids of his own. :rolleyes1 They do do more for their mother, but her second husband was a waste of air, and she has a lot of health issues. She does have to request them to do things - and I guess with a batch of kids of my own I don't think to ask the older ones for much since I've got my own to boss around. ;)

Also, a picture of what I got back on our Spring Break trip that I hadn't taken a picture of. As Evan calls it...

Sparkly Pants!

I wear this a LOT. As you can see in those trek pictures. :rotfl:

IMG_6923.jpg

Up next...one last update....BFP comparison and what's next??

Love the souvies!! It's great when they buy clothes...my 18 year old son bought a tricorn hat as his souvenir this trip:sad2:

Sparkly Pants is cute!! I have a tote bag similar to your shirt that has been dubbed "Mickey Fancy Pants" :rotfl:

What about Ohana's? You could time it so they could watch the fireworks from there without fighting the crowds or they could go for breakfast after going to rope drop?

Wow, great souvies and recap!!! I love all the information.

But I really love that Epcot MUG!!! How do I not have one of those yet?

Tough call for your friend on the ADRs. I thought my DD was picky, but she eats all the traditional kid favorites. Of course, now she's a "Disney adult", so we'll see how she does next time.

I think most places will bring a bowl of noodles for kids, they might just have to ask. I've seen it done a lot. Definitely if you lean toward the Italian places it would work.

I've got to get over to your cruise PTR before you leave!! A few days away from the DIS, and I'm so behind!!!

Thanks for sharing all the great fun and adventure your family had last summer!!!

Twenty-three years later for me and I'm still not sure either of mine would step up and offer to help. :sad2: And they are both married with kids of their own now...actually with teenagers of their own
smiley_signinsertevillaughhere.gif
and in one case - step-kids of his own. :rolleyes1 They do do more for their mother, but her second husband was a waste of air, and she has a lot of health issues. She does have to request them to do things - and I guess with a batch of kids of my own I don't think to ask the older ones for much since I've got my own to boss around. ;)

In our case I think the real issue is their mom has never asked them to do a thing or lift a finger so...

Love the souvies!! It's great when they buy clothes...my 18 year old son bought a tricorn hat as his souvenir this trip:sad2:

Sparkly Pants is cute!! I have a tote bag similar to your shirt that has been dubbed "Mickey Fancy Pants" :rotfl:

I love sparkly pants, he makes me smile and it makes me smile when Evan requests that I wear him!

What about Ohana's? You could time it so they could watch the fireworks from there without fighting the crowds or they could go for breakfast after going to rope drop?

Good idea, I hadn't thought about Ohana's. Not sure if it's too limiting a menu but worth tossing out there!

Love all the souvies!!! That Epcot mug is great! So fun to drink morning coffee out of Disney mugs!

I love that mug :goodvibes I rotate between taht, my flower and garden one, my AK one and my mickey diner one. :thumbsup2 Occasionally....I let my Kennedy space center one slip in the rotation.

Wow, great souvies and recap!!! I love all the information.

But I really love that Epcot MUG!!! How do I not have one of those yet?

Tough call for your friend on the ADRs. I thought my DD was picky, but she eats all the traditional kid favorites. Of course, now she's a "Disney adult", so we'll see how she does next time.

I think most places will bring a bowl of noodles for kids, they might just have to ask. I've seen it done a lot. Definitely if you lean toward the Italian places it would work.

I've got to get over to your cruise PTR before you leave!! A few days away from the DIS, and I'm so behind!!!

Thanks for sharing all the great fun and adventure your family had last summer!!!

You need to get the mug Sheree! it really is the perfect size too, not too big, not too small...just right!

Good point about the bowl of noodles. SO grateful my kids were never like that. Eric's best friend is like that and UGH! Love that boy but he is high maintenance.

I'm so behind everywhere with no real hopes of getting caught up until we get back.

I haven't been over to your cruise PTR, so I'll wish you

BON VOYAGE!!!!

over here. Have a boat drink for me. Maybe a margarita.

party:

I haven't been over to your cruise PTR, so I'll wish you

BON VOYAGE!!!!

over here. Have a boat drink for me. Maybe a margarita.

party:

Thanks Dee! Outside of embarkation day I'm not sure it will be margarita weather but we will see. I can have a rum and coke for you if that will do.

Hoping to do one last update later today...the BFP comparison.

But hey...come over to the PTR! It will be a TR soon :goodvibes

I've never noticed the "on this day in 2010" thing on FB before. Here's what mine says today (that I posted on this day one year ago)

Cheeseburger in paradise, landshark lager and lunch in my swimsuit. Sad that vacation is almost over but its a good way to close it out!

Butterbeer is delicious! Especially frozen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter