• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Downgraded our trip"...add me to the list!

newtodis

Disney Lover!
I officially "downgraded" today...tried to do so and stay on property but NOTHING is available. We're getting a condo so our friends going with us can just stay with us while we're all there. I'm happy to have the extra money and less stress but so disappointed. I was SO excited to stay at AKL-especially CL-for my birthday and let the boys see the animals every day. :sad1: :sad2: :guilty: It's a sad day. I still have to officially cancel our reservation but I want to be sure everything the IPO staff did will not be cancelled. If not, we'll have to stay there for a night then check into the condo-I think that would be WAY worse being teased by a night then checking into a condo.

Alright...if ya wanna come to my pitty party this morning, you're more than welcome!:goodvibes I know it's the "right" decision but it's certainly not the "fun" decision!

:grouphug: I am so sorry that you are disapointed! But you are right you made the right decision! And after all you are still going to the most magical place during the Merriest season - how could one possibly stay disappointed? :) :hug:

Some times it stinks to be a grown up.

:grouphug: I am so sorry that you are disapointed! But you are right you made the right decision! And after all you are still going to the most magical place during the Merriest season - how could one possibly stay disappointed? :) :hug:

I know :santa: I'm now trying to get excited about seeing the castle with all of the lights on instead of a giraffe every morning! :goodvibes

Some times it stinks to be a grown up.

SO TRUE! Coming from a very disfunctional family where both parents (when they were around) just gave in and we got whatever we wanted (or they thought we wanted) it's a harsh reality but I don't want my kids to grow up like I did so it's the right thing in the end. :goodvibes

Thanks guys! :grouphug:

I know :santa: I'm now trying to get excited about seeing the castle with all of the lights on instead of a giraffe every morning! :goodvibes
QUOTE]

Here... I'll help! Simply think about me - I'll be the one in Chicago, most likely freezing my fingers, toes and behind off - while shoveling 12+ inches of snow. Only to get my car out go over to the folks house, freeze my remaining body parts off and shovel another 12+ inches of snow... but at any time I will be able to look at the snow covered windows and see the pretty lights shining from inside! Did I mention the whole while dreaming of WDW and the lucky souls who got to visit it during the holidays? :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Did that help? Come on I know it brought a tiny bit of a smile to your face...- you see today is not a sad day, just a different day!:goodvibes

I hate being responsible too. :hug: :grouphug:

I officially "downgraded" today...tried to do so and stay on property but NOTHING is available. We're getting a condo so our friends going with us can just stay with us while we're all there. I'm happy to have the extra money and less stress but so disappointed. I was SO excited to stay at AKL-especially CL-for my birthday and let the boys see the animals every day. :sad1: :sad2: :guilty: It's a sad day. I still have to officially cancel our reservation but I want to be sure everything the IPO staff did will not be cancelled. If not, we'll have to stay there for a night then check into the condo-I think that would be WAY worse being teased by a night then checking into a condo.

Alright...if ya wanna come to my pitty party this morning, you're more than welcome!:goodvibes I know it's the "right" decision but it's certainly not the "fun" decision!

You may just find yourself pleasantly surprised at how much you enjoy the extra space and amenities (kitchen, laundry, multiple bathrooms) in the condo! Especially if you're still relatively close by so that transportation is a quick, easy drive to the parks. We much prefer being able to be in control of our own transportation and drive our own vehicle even for the occasional visit where we stay on-site. We're firm believers in the "magic" of nearby, off-site condo-type accomodations! Enjoy! :goodvibes

I'll add to say that we definitely still enjoy visiting and dining at the different Disney resorts - we just don't pay to sleep there!

Hey at least you get to go this year. I have not been there since 2005. We will be going back in Oct 2009.
Go, enjoy...you are at the Happiest Place on Earth!

I changed our Onsite reservations to a nearby hotel which we have stayed at before and I am glad I did.

I saved Thousands of dollars.

I am booking 3 rooms.

The entire trip now will cost what 1 1/2 rooms would have cost.

That makes me the Happy MonkeY.

Saving over 3 thousand, i just can't justify wasting that money.

And the savings has allowed me to upgrade the multi park hopper passes to annual passes for a little more.

:goodvibes

what dates?

You may just find yourself pleasantly surprised at how much you enjoy the extra space and amenities (kitchen, laundry, multiple bathrooms) in the condo! Especially if you're still relatively close by so that transportation is a quick, easy drive to the parks. We much prefer being able to be in control of our own transportation and drive our own vehicle even for the occasional visit where we stay on-site. We're firm believers in the "magic" of nearby, off-site condo-type accomodations! Enjoy! :goodvibes

I'll add to say that we definitely still enjoy visiting and dining at the different Disney resorts - we just don't pay to sleep there!

I totally agree. I have DVC now so I do stay onsite - but I still like having a car. Of course I was born in Southern California (and lived in Detroit as a child) so I think it is genetic for me to be car oriented. :)

You may not wake up with a giraffe - but remember you can stop by AKL and visit. I usually do that every trip - especially if it is around Christmas. You don't have to be a guest to go watch the animals (several viewing points are available) or to just sit around and enjoy the atmosphere.

And since you will be in a condo you can do your own version of conscierge. Splurge a little at the grocery store and get your favorite snacks. You could even shop at Goodings after all you are saving.:) :) :)

Be sure to tour the deluxe hotels. I love going to visit the Christmas decorations. I usually walk over to the Boardwalk hotels from the international gateway at Epcot. I take the monorail or boat to the MK hotels. I guess AKL is the only one that I drive to.

Have fun! I am going in November this year and will miss the Christmas stuff.

We downgraded out category cabin on the Magic for November 09. We saved over $500, so even though I am sad, I find comfort in knowing (at least for now) that I don't have to cancel my trip altogether. Let's hope that doesn't happen...:hug: :sad1:

We just got back from our trip that we "downgraded" to a condo, and I had felt just like you before we went. Once we got there and saw how beautiful, big and clean our condo was, I was so glad that I had changed. It was so nice to have 2 bathrooms (especially with teens) and the washer and dryer were wonderful. We saved so much money with having a kitchen to have a quick breakfast before heading out and to pack a simple lunch to eat in the parks. The full size freezer was great for freezing our water bottles and cooler packs. We simply threw a package of turkey, cheese, half a loaf of bread, a can of pringles and some grapes, carrots and some individual packets of lemonaid mix into a little soft cooler that we put in the bottom of our preschooler's stroller. (I didn't even make the sandwiches up ahead of time.) The counter service restaurants provide large cups of ice water that work great for the lemonaid or iced tea mix. When we ran out of grapes, we just purchased the little bags of cut-up apples that they sell at the parks. We saved so much money and time.
Our condo was a wonderful Disney-decorated condo at Windsor Hills. The pool and the grounds were also beautiful and we were only minutes from the parks. It was also very easy to have a car at Disney as everything is so well marked. I do not regret our "downgrade" decision and feel like we really upgraded (ie. king bed, separate bedrooms, 2 baths, and much cleaner than our last Disney on-site experiences). We used vacationcentralflorida dot com and they were wonderful. They have some great deals ($199/week for some weeks). The only negative was having to pay for parking at the parks, but we planned ahead for that. I would definately "downgrade" again in a heartbeat.
(P.S. We did see some giraffes on the safari ride at AK if that helps.)

You're still getting to go to Disney which is still great. Honestly at your DS's ages, they probably wouldn't remember that much anyway. You can do AK when they're older and will appreciate it much more. Have fun on your trip.

I changed our Onsite reservations to a nearby hotel which we have stayed at before and I am glad I did.

I saved Thousands of dollars.

I am booking 3 rooms.

The entire trip now will cost what 1 1/2 rooms would have cost.

That makes me the Happy MonkeY.

Saving over 3 thousand, i just can't justify wasting that money.

And the savings has allowed me to upgrade the multi park hopper passes to annual passes for a little more.

:goodvibes

Did you compare the cost of three rooms to a condo? As others have mentioned, it's SO great to have a convenient kitchen. My brood hates to sit in restaurants, never wants to eat the same food or at the same time. With the condo, they can eat at will.

It's also nice to have somewhere besides a bedroom to hang out. You don't have to be on the same sleeping schedule. I can get up early and run a load of laundry. (I hate coming home with a week's worth of dirty clothes.) DH can stay up late and watch movies without disturbing my sleep.

Sheila

For those of you who have rented condos, how do you know if it's smoking or non-smoking? Can you park near your unit?

$199/week has definite possibilities!

NHWX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter