Trader Sam's a major disappointment this trip...

I've never heard of anything in the lobby, but I haven't been since pre-covid. For pre-opening, you lined up at the door of Trader Sam's and eventually a CM would come out with a clipboard and take names and phone numbers.
Now that you say that, I think I might be mixing it up with the check in location for the old Luau.
Apologies if I confused anyone.

Wow that experience sounds terrible! I was considering trying it on our upcoming trip but not sure we want to invest the time.

I will see we had a much different experience two weeks ago, but there were only 2 of us. It was about 6:45pm on a Tuesday and we put our names on the list. I think we were called in within about an hour (we had one drink outside by the pool before going inside) and we were seated at that tall middle table right next to each other. Our waitress was pretty good and I think they were good about moving people through AND clearing tables that day. I didn't see any really big parties though, I think the biggest may have been seated at our table later in the evening, and that was maybe 4 or 5 people? We were staying at the Poly though, so it was a no brainer for us to just put our names on the list.

I have to say I am enjoying how much people are saying the Disneyland/California experience is as we have a trip planned there in July/August. We will definitely try to do some time there!
You can make ADRs for Disneyland Trader Sam’s at the 60 day mark and, in my experience last fall, those adrs drop well before the posted time. I think I got mine around 4 am eastern time on multiple days because I decided to randomly check since I was up anyway (I was potty training our puppy, so up at odd times). I had my choice of times each day checking that crazy early- when I checked at the posted time, there was no availability left.

I've never heard of anything in the lobby, but I haven't been since pre-covid. For pre-opening, you lined up at the door of Trader Sam's and eventually a CM would come out with a clipboard and take names and phone numbers.
That exactly how it worked the one time we did it.

My sister and I got seated at the high top table in the middle of the room that is a communal table and I wasn’t particularly happy, I wanted our own table.

But in the end, we had more fun interacting with all our table mates than I would ever have imagined! So glad it worked out that way. “Jennnnnnnnna” 😂.

That exactly how it worked the one time we did it.

My sister and I got seated at the high top table in the middle of the room that is a communal table and I wasn’t particularly happy, I wanted our own table.

But in the end, we had more fun interacting with all our table mates than I would ever have imagined! So glad it worked out that way. “Jennnnnnnnna” 😂.
I don't think I've ever been seated, they just let you in when there's capacity and you have to figure it out. Once we had to stand at the bar for a while until a couple seats opened up. Another time we sat with random strangers (parents with their minor son, who was the one who really wanted to come) at a table who had two chairs open.

Maybe this is a question where the answer is obvious, but stored in everyone's brains but mine, and, if that's the case, sorry (but not sorry) for asking it:

If the door was locked, and you were waiting on the hostess to come out, how did so many others already have reservations ahead of yours? It would just seem from the situation you described that you would have had the second reservation on the list for that day... Is there some other way to make reservations or something like that?

I'm respectfully asking this question because I could see myself being in the exact same situation as you described and would like to learn what you did "wrong." I'm not sure I would have been so patient...
That's what I'm wondering. How did all these people get added to the list if the door was locked? If they're changing how they take names (phone calls? resort guest priority?), I would want to know so I can weight that against other options.

I don't think I've ever been seated, they just let you in when there's capacity and you have to figure it out. Once we had to stand at the bar for a while until a couple seats opened up. Another time we sat with random strangers (parents with their minor son, who was the one who really wanted to come) at a table who had two chairs open.
Interesting.
I’ve only been the one time and we were definitely seated.
Hopefully we will go again sometime soon!

Every time I've gone, I was assigned to a table and every single time I had to share with another party which I don't mind. Most times I've gone the other party at the table were super fun to talk to but the last time I went, they ignored us completely which is fine but they were completely silent while my sister and I were casually chatting.

That's what I'm wondering. How did all these people get added to the list if the door was locked? If they're changing how they take names (phone calls? resort guest priority?), I would want to know so I can weight that against other options.

This is jsut a guess, but it's possible there was a large line well before 2 PM and that line would have still been there at 2 PM, so they didn't wait and took the reservations. It wouldn't technically add to the wait for anyone showing up after, but it does cause confusion.

Again, I don't know that this is what happened, but it is plausable.

If I was reading this review, I'd think we were crazy people to still be committed to this experience but my kids were so invested, we had already waited so long and at this point I wanted to ride it out and see if anything could be done to redeem the evening. For what it's worth, we counted 5 hostesses working that night, 2 bartenders and then 2 waitresses. I used to be a waitress myself for 5 years and I'm always taking stock of the staff and vibe of restaurants. In the past, I've found Trader Sam's to be chaotic but I always chalked this up to part of the atmosphere. I could see that the 2 waitresses were responsible for running their own food from the kitchens and drinks from the bar as well as bussing their own tables. The people at the bar were having a great time as Dustin was there again but we could see lots of other tables either waiting with menus to order or waiting to pay their bills. As I said, a few tables were empty and really dirty. Our own table was sticky from the previous occupants. Not a single one of the 5 hostesses ever cleared or cleaned a table the entire time we were there. I can't quite fathom why there were 5 of them and no bussing staff at all.

Thank you for sharing this information so others can learn for the future. But I really wanted to highlight this because it struck me.

Please, don't be hard on yourself for the outcome. Knowing what you know now, after a couple hours of poor service, etc., sure, you may have left. But at each moment, there was the opportunity for things to improve, for you to have the experience you were hoping for, and so on. Especially at places like Disney, with so much build up and anticipation, it is so easy to absorb some shortcomings, with the process of an amazing "grand finale".

I think you did the best that you could in the situation, just made the best of it so your kids could have some of that fun experience. And maybe with some Disney communication, things will improve.

Thank you for sharing this information so others can learn for the future. But I really wanted to highlight this because it struck me.

Please, don't be hard on yourself for the outcome. Knowing what you know now, after a couple hours of poor service, etc., sure, you may have left. But at each moment, there was the opportunity for things to improve, for you to have the experience you were hoping for, and so on. Especially at places like Disney, with so much build up and anticipation, it is so easy to absorb some shortcomings, with the process of an amazing "grand finale".

I think you did the best that you could in the situation, just made the best of it so your kids could have some of that fun experience. And maybe with some Disney communication, things will improve.
Aww 🥹 that is such a nice comment to read! It is a good reminder to let go when things go wrong that are beyond our control. It IS amazing how much we let expectation and especially nostalgia build things up for us, probably to impossible standards. Disney does a better job of meeting that need for a nostalgia fix than most or we wouldn’t all be such return customers!

This has been my experience too. No one ever took us to a seat and twice we've been there where there were no empty seats. We just ordered from the bartender and then had to awkwardly stand out of the way with our drinks. I think we're over it permanently at this point. Our experiences weren't enjoyable. We were just chasing the unattainable good experience that others have posted about. It's simply too small and the demand is too great.

Aww 🥹 that is such a nice comment to read! It is a good reminder to let go when things go wrong that are beyond our control. It IS amazing how much we let expectation and especially nostalgia build things up for us, probably to impossible standards. Disney does a better job of meeting that need for a nostalgia fix than most or we wouldn’t all be such return customers!
@LisaDKG It stood out to me how badly you wanted to please your kids and give them the experience they wanted.
When I do a trip with my (grown) kids or with other family/friends, I also feel responsible for everyone's good time. I put so much pressure on myself to make it special. Inevitably, something at some point doesn't live up to the hype and I feel terrible about it. But you know what? Later, down the road, when the trip gets reminisced about, every one remembers the good stuff. So let yourself off the hook, know you did a good job, and whenever you get a chance take a solo or couples trip and just relax with zero responsibility to anyone but yourself :)

I was there with 2 friends on May 9th. We waited about 2.75 hrs for our return text. We were directed to a specific table when we finally entered. Honestly, it was a one and done for me. Just too small and chaotic. I would rather go hang at the Oasis pool and have a burger and a Voyager!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter