• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dorian

I spent the morning bringing in all the outside furniture, door wreath, etc. On Saturday, I will let several inches of water out of our pool in anticipation of a large amount of rain. I've already been to the grocery store to get water and food (crackers, tuna, etc.). DD, my sister and I all have close to full tanks of gas. I guess we're as ready as can be. Hoping it goes out to sea, but aware that it is very unlikely. It's a big one, so all of Florida will probably feel an impact. This will make my 6th hurricane since moving to Florida.

I spent the morning bringing in all the outside furniture, door wreath, etc. On Saturday, I will let several inches of water out of our pool in anticipation of a large amount of rain. I've already been to the grocery store to get water and food (crackers, tuna, etc.). DD, my sister and I all have close to full tanks of gas. I guess we're as ready as can be. Hoping it goes out to sea, but aware that it is very unlikely. It's a big one, so all of Florida will probably feel an impact. This will make my 6th hurricane since moving to Florida.
Question from someone that has never had a pool...how do you let water out? A pump? I know you aren't bailing it out by the bucketful. :p

Question from someone that has never had a pool...how do you let water out? A pump? I know you aren't bailing it out by the bucketful. :p
Well mine leaks lol so it's usually not an issue for us. DH fools with it, but you can drain it by the pool pump/filter part.

Heh - mine too! Well, it only leaks when I run the pump now, since I had the liner replaced. It's always something with pools!
Absolutely it is! Ours needs to be re-plastered, but we think the leak is actually in the tile work at the top of the water b/c once it goes below that line it stops. But, it rains so much, it's really a non issue.

We've been in the Tampa area for years, but this will be our first storm in a house in the flood zone. We're juuuuust barely in evacuation zone A (literally by a block or two). Obviously if they issue the order we'll leave, but I'm thinking we may have to go anyway. We're only a single story and the roads here are notoriously flood-prone. I'm terrified of getting trapped.

Luckily I don't think we'll have to go too far to get to safety--there seem to be plenty of viable options within half an hour of us--but I'm not looking forward to loading up us and the cats and all the supplies. I may not be cut out for living here. :scared:

We've been in the Tampa area for years, but this will be our first storm in a house in the flood zone. We're juuuuust barely in evacuation zone A (literally by a block or two). Obviously if they issue the order we'll leave, but I'm thinking we may have to go anyway. We're only a single story and the roads here are notoriously flood-prone. I'm terrified of getting trapped.

Luckily I don't think we'll have to go too far to get to safety--there seem to be plenty of viable options within half an hour of us--but I'm not looking forward to loading up us and the cats and all the supplies. I may not be cut out for living here. :scared:
Yuck! That sucks. I am just hoping to escape at least one more season w/o evacuation while DS is so young. Would have to load up 2 dogs, a toddler, and all the supplies. Hope you don't have to leave.

Same! We live in Pasco County and two streets down is zone A (we're zone B) but when it rains the streets are flooded. I'm terrified to be in my house when it hits but my boyfriend keeps saying not to worry. We rode out Irma but we were in a much safer house then.

Same! We live in Pasco County and two streets down is zone A (we're zone B) but when it rains the streets are flooded. I'm terrified to be in my house when it hits but my boyfriend keeps saying not to worry. We rode out Irma but we were in a much safer house then.
Are y’all talking about fema flood zones that flood insurance is based on or something else?

Are y’all talking about fema flood zones that flood insurance is based on or something else?
I'm in a different city then them but out evacuation zones do not line up perfectly with the fema flood zones at all. We have evacuation A - E, with A being the islands all the way to E being just the flood prone areas inland. During Irma we had mandatory evacuation of A and B zones and voluntary for C-E.

It's getting a little scary around here! We moved to the Orlando area (about 45 minutes from WDW) ten months ago, so this is going to be our first time riding out a hurricane. The water and bread aisles at our local Publix are completely empty!:eek: There are already long lines of cars at most of the service stations. Some stations have no cars in line, so I'm guessing the pumps are out of gas.

We've stocked up on water and food, our cars have full tanks, and we've brought in anything from our screened enclosure that could possibly blow around. We have flashlights, batteries and candles. We always figured we'd be safe living inland in Florida, but right now it looks like Central Florida is really going to get hit!:headache:

Keeping everyone in Dorian's path in our thoughts and hoping the hurricane will not be as powerful as they're predicting. Please stay safe, everyone!

There is a spigot near the pump. We simply attach a hose which we lay along the edge of the road near the sewer. We turn in the spigot and water empties. The pump must be running to do so. To take it down a couple of inches usually takes about 30 minutes. It's really very easy.

We live in South Florida (Boca Raton), which is between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We're ready with our supplies and today I closed up some of the accordion shutters we have on our house.

In Tampa they're two different things. You get your FEMA flood zones based on their maps (V/VE, A/AE, or X) and then the county designates evacuation zones as well. I believe they correspond to the possible storm surge/inundation levels and areas vulnerable due to structural issues (I think all mobile homes are automatically assigned A, for example). We have zones A-E, with A being the first to be evacuated.

Fingers crossed you don't have to leave either! It's just no fun at all with a family and pets.

I'm in a different city then them but out evacuation zones do not line up perfectly with the fema flood zones at all. We have evacuation A - E, with A being the islands all the way to E being just the flood prone areas inland. During Irma we had mandatory evacuation of A and B zones and voluntary for C-E.
Oh ok. I was going to say fema flood zones are nothing to go by. I’m technically in a flood zone, but this house never flooded in 40 years including Katrina. We don’t have evacuation zones here though. Pretty much we’re all in a potential evac zone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter