• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't understand. Please explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
love Disney and like Star Wars just fine...

But at HS and the parade with the storm troopers coming up the street with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very militaristic as they march in sync (similar to our enemies)
They are the bad guys right?

What is the attraction to all this??

Don't get it.

And doesn't seem to fit into what Disney is all about.

Am I just missing something?

All the villain frenzy baffles me too. All the hype over darth vade and the other bad guys, with little to no presence for the good guys.

All the villain frenzy baffles me too. All the hype over darth vade and the other bad guys, with little to no presence for the good guys.

That's because Darth and Kylo and the storm troopers have face coverings. I believe there is a current standing agreement that even though Disney owns Lucasfilms now they won't do face characters in the parks except for special tickets events. Or at least that is what I was lead to believe when I specifically asked why they don't have Lea, Rey, Luke, Han, etc.

That's because Darth and Kylo and the storm troopers have face coverings. I believe there is a current standing agreement that even though Disney owns Lucasfilms now they won't do face characters in the parks except for special tickets events. Or at least that is what I was lead to believe when I specifically asked why they don't have Lea, Rey, Luke, Han, etc.

And honestly since they really won't be able to replicate such iconic "human actor" characters to look exactly as they should ... I see it as no plus.

I personally try to research as much as I can before I go somewhere on vacation. And if I feel something would make me feel uneasy, I'd avoid it. Personally, being a SW fan, I'd enjoy the heck out of this and hope I can see it in person someday. DW is my happy place. The minute I walk through the gates, it's fantasy for me, and all ties to reality disappear. I don't compare the things I see there to problems facing our world- I enjoy it for what it is. And I don't say that to be condescending. My vacations are for forgetting about real issues if even for a tiny bit, and just having fun :)

stormtroopers-animated-gif-11.gif

Same could be said about anything and everything.

True. My point was that when I respond to someone's opinions, I try not to present my personal take as fact, so as not to offend the op. I think its gentler to present your take as opinion rather than as fact. And THAT is just my opinion. ;-)

But at HS and the parade with the storm troopers coming up the street with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very militaristic as they march in sync (similar to our enemies)

Don't get it.

You won't get much support. Don't take the criticism to heart. Look at the grammar. Think about the poster. Let it go; let it go; let it go. (psst - you're right :-)

Guess I'm in the minority. And for the people who enjoy it more power to you.

I like villains too and would love to see a parade of them. But faceless group of 10 or 20 or 30 (wonder at what number is the most joyful) just don't see it.

Maybe having seen too many history channel clips of crowds cheering synchronized faceless soldiers that it freaks me out a little to see crowds cheering this.

Anyway we had fun in all the parks...

Kind of Germany pre World War II....They won't get it

But as a previous poster pointed out, The Force Awakens shows that they aren't necessarily evil, they only know what they are taught. Finn actually tuns out to be a good guy who questions what the Empire stands for. Kind of like how ST:TNG humanized Klingons.

Welp, time to get my nerd on.

In case anyone is curious, the breakdown is like this.

Prequel Era-Clone Troopers. They're literally bred and raised to be soldiers, it's all they know and they're proud of their role. (Aside from Order 66, which was not of their own free will. Once the command ended, many were horrified at what they had done.)

Original Trilogy Era-A mixture of willing enlistees and conscripts. A lot of the willing enlistees didn't really understand what they were getting into when they signed up, but are too afraid to do anything else now. That being said, there were a lot of defections after the destruction of Alderaan. (I really, REALLY recommend the novel Star Wars:Lost Stars for this. We follow two characters from childhood onwards, through their enlistment and training, one of them staying with the Empire until around a year after the events of Return of the Jedi, the other defecting to the Rebellion after the destruction of Alderaan. It's easily the best book we've gotten since Disney bought Lucasfilm. Seriously, go get it. Right now.)

Force Awakens Era-From what we know thus far, from Force Awakens and the novel, Bloodline, modern Stormtroopers are a mixture of Imperial loyalists in the upper ranks and the rank and file, like Finn, are conscripts that were taken from their families at birth and raised to do nothing but be Stormtroopers.

I imagine that a child who has suffered the trauma of watching his parents get taken aside and questioned in airports, by police, or elsewhere might have a hard time distinguishing between reality and fantasy while watching something like this.

Because that is a bit of the tricky part - for many, Disney lets people escape the real world. But sometimes the real world comes roaring back in.

That's no judgment on people who enjoy it. Not in the least. At the same time, it's okay to take things like Disney seriously every once in a while, to ask ourselves how different people might experience these wonderfully immersive stories, for good and for bad.

I think this is a great point, and thanks for offering a perspective I had not considered.

Of course Disney is about total immersion and fantasy, and the vast majority of guests will enjoy this show.

Nothing wrong with showing a little empathy, though, and the truth is a lot of families and a lot of kids are experiencing some scary stuff out there right now. I could see how that would make the show unsettling.

Fortunately, part of what makes Disney shine above the rest is the incredible CMs who seem to be prepared for anything. I think CMs know how to appropriately react to a child or family that is uncomfortable, and I would certainly hope that if a child is feeling traumatized that the parents would know how to respond as well.

Read Allegiance at all?
I know this stuff isn't Disney "Canon" anymore, but that's an interesting take on Storm Troopers gone good guys.

Eh, I think it's fun. My toddler LOVES the storm troopers. She wasn't afraid of Kylo Ren either.
It's actually a nice way for people to meet some "scary stuff" head on and stand up to it in a more fun way, in a safe environment.

Welp, time to get my nerd on.

In case anyone is curious, the breakdown is like this.

Prequel Era-Clone Troopers. They're literally bred and raised to be soldiers, it's all they know and they're proud of their role. (Aside from Order 66, which was not of their own free will. Once the command ended, many were horrified at what they had done.)

Original Trilogy Era-A mixture of willing enlistees and conscripts. A lot of the willing enlistees didn't really understand what they were getting into when they signed up, but are too afraid to do anything else now. That being said, there were a lot of defections after the destruction of Alderaan. (I really, REALLY recommend the novel Star Wars:Lost Stars for this. We follow two characters from childhood onwards, through their enlistment and training, one of them staying with the Empire until around a year after the events of Return of the Jedi, the other defecting to the Rebellion after the destruction of Alderaan. It's easily the best book we've gotten since Disney bought Lucasfilm. Seriously, go get it. Right now.)

Force Awakens Era-From what we know thus far, from Force Awakens and the novel, Bloodline, modern Stormtroopers are a mixture of Imperial loyalists in the upper ranks and the rank and file, like Finn, are conscripts that were taken from their families at birth and raised to do nothing but be Stormtroopers.

Read Allegiance at all?
I know this stuff isn't Disney "Canon" anymore, but that's an interesting take on Storm Troopers gone good guys.

Eh, I think it's fun. My toddler LOVES the storm troopers. She wasn't afraid of Kylo Ren either.
It's actually a nice way for people to meet some "scary stuff" head on and stand up to it in a more fun way, in a safe environment.

We all enjoy the Storm Trooper parade.

I do think it's a bit odd that the animation courtyard is not more of a "safe space" considering its home to the Disney's jr show.

We all enjoy the Storm Trooper parade.

I do think it's a bit odd that the animation courtyard is not more of a "safe space" considering its home to the Disney's jr show.

And Little Mermaid, character meets and main route to TSMM. When they first announced Launch Bay I felt like the placement was not appropriate and since the addition of the "march" it just reinforced that. We are just going to have to deal with mismatched areas until SWL opens.

Don't get it.

we saw them in August with grandkids 11.5 years, 7.5 years, 2.5 years all boys plus 4.5 year girl all of whom loved the storm troopers. girls was not sure of fur characters most of week including Mickey and Minnie who she had talked about meeting for weeks yet when she got to them was scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter