Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
2531_Toy-Story-characters-eating-popcorn.jpg

I believe Walt said he wanted a place for families to enjoy time together.

Kae

Yep.

And the moment they made anything being a kiddie ride that opened it up to any sort of family.

I'm short. My kid is taller than me and he's not even a teen. If I plan poorly so he somehow can't see, do you want to offer up that spot in front of you if he's as tall as or taller than you? Doubt it.

So at what point do you personally cut it off? All minors get to go? Under teens? But my preteen is taller than a shorter woman. So ultimately does it become kids who you are taller than? Then your cutoff might be different than mine.

So what about we not get up in arms because someone wants something some way? If by chance I sit and wait for a parade for an hour, that's my spot. If I let a kid in I'm being extra nice. If I don't, I'm not actually being rude.

To me what really seems to be the issue the OP is bringing up is not that WDW isn't a place for all to come and be kids at heart (because that is what WDW is for) but that the attitudes of people.

I'm 5ft 3 1/2ish" there are def kids taller than me..so I'm not exactly like "yes please come in front of me because you're a kid and I'm 28 so I should be ok with it." My husband is 6ft 5 1/2inches. Out of respect for others he does move himself to the back of things. It actually can work out in our favor because there are many times he can get better pictures/videos lol

I don't think it's wrong for someone not to want their special event to be recognized but I don't think they should also lament about it if it doesn't happen. That goes for kids too.

If you see someone who cusses out a CM or is extremely rude to them chances are they are that way outside of WDW in their everyday life. That's not a Disney issue that's a personal issue.

As far as ADRs are concerned well yes sometimes people do get really upset and I don't always agree with their reaction but I do respect that for them getting their ADR might be part of their magic of their vacation. It's like if you got your heart set on a certain resort but it was sold out..sure another resort could do the trick and be fine but it would be hard not to be bummed out about not getting the resort you wanted.

I know the OP has already corrected herself but I do find myself getting a bit annoyed when the thought process is WDW=only for kids. If a family or couple decides to not go to WDW or any other Disney park unless they have their kids with them or have kids at all then that is a personal decision but is not the rule. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with going only with your kids but nor do I think it's wrong to go without kids.

I think the OP was trying to get people to consider the little guys rather than saying the big ones aren't welcome (that's how I read it anyway!)

I will happily let a little kid in front of me if they can't see a parade, the same as someone in a wheelchair; not the entire group just the people that need a little help.
I've not bought a balloon because it was the last Tinkerbell in the bunch and the little girl in line behind me told her mom that it was the one she wanted, I've given up my seat on the bus/monorail for another mom who just looked like she'd was at the end of her tether.

I have been to DW waaaay more times childless than with my boys, and I have always lined up for character photos etc. but I try to be as kind and thoughtful to others as I can be!

I also don't think Disney is just or mainly for kids. After all it's us adults who plan & pay for it. If we didn't like or want to be at Disney, I doubt many would pay so much money to spend days somewhere we disliked, not even for our children.

Also, I do not give up my spot for kids at a parade. If I decide to wait for 30-45 minutes to be sure we have a good spot instead of riding rides, there's no way I'm letting someone else stand in front of us. Plus, I'm short & most kids are my height or taller, so nope, no, no way.

I do believe people should always be polite & courteous to all the cms. Even when upset, there's no reason to be ugly & rude.

And magic isn't guaranteed. I've been to Disney multiple times. The times I had a good attitude were more magical than the times I was a little bit like Grumpy. So a lot depends on a person's attitude. Be light hearted, be happy & the magic will be there.

We'll be there in September & I'm just as excited to go as I was the first time I ever went.

I was also going to make a comment about adult children, So now because my son is 23, we cant enjoy the parks together anymore? We are still a family, heck, my DH and I are a family and so are those without kids.

Dont apologize, adults get to enjoy WDW also. I will also be getting in line for characters and waiting for a spot for the fireworks and parades.

Adults also get to participate in the magic, with or without kids.
My DS is 23 and making the trip with us this year he is more excited than my 10 year old. My kids are my babies and will be when they are 50.
I am not a granny bully or a double stroller bully by any means. I just think that some get way to serious about the 'perfect' vacation and they forget all about what WDW is for. Spending time with family and enjoying each others company

I also don't think Disney is just or mainly for kids. After all it's us adults who plan & pay for it. If we didn't like or want to be at Disney, I doubt many would pay so much money to spend days somewhere we disliked, not even for our children.

Also, I do not give up my spot for kids at a parade. If I decide to wait for 30-45 minutes to be sure we have a good spot instead of riding rides, there's no way I'm letting someone else stand in front of us. Plus, I'm short & most kids are my height or taller, so nope, no, no way.

I do believe people should always be polite & courteous to all the cms. Even when upset, there's no reason to be ugly & rude.

And magic isn't guaranteed. I've been to Disney multiple times. The times I had a good attitude were more magical than the times I was a little bit like Grumpy. So a lot depends on a person's attitude. Be light hearted, be happy & the magic will be there.

We'll be there in September & I'm just as excited to go as I was the first time I ever went.
Maybe that was what threw me to begin with. Yes everyone should be treated with kindness and respect and I saw alot of bad apples last time around. I also saw some special people spreading the pixie dust. Again I must remember the former is the minority. We are also head to WDW in September (thats why I have spent too much time on the boards). Hope you have a Magical trip an Boo to you :maleficen

Disney is for children of all ages, not specifically for those under a certain age. I am an adult and I dont have children and Disney is my happy place. I have been to Disneyland California and Disneyland Paris multiple time on my own. My time in the park is in no way not as special or not as magical or not as enjoyable just because I am on my own and not sharing it with a child.

If I have a prime spot for a show or a parade and have waited whatever length of time before that show or parade, then NO a child has no automatic right to that prime spot. If the childs parents want that prime spot, then THEY just have got there before me. I will not let you push your special snowflake in front of me , just cos YOU didnt get there in time.

I really like Roy Disney's quote on opening day:

“Walt Disney World is tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney … and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place … a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn – together.”

-Roy O. Disney, October 25, 1971

Disney is for children of all ages, not specifically for those under a certain age. I am an adult and I dont have children and Disney is my happy place. I have been to Disneyland California and Disneyland Paris multiple time on my own. My time in the park is in no way not as special or not as magical or not as enjoyable just because I am on my own and not sharing it with a child.

If I have a prime spot for a show or a parade and have waited whatever length of time before that show or parade, then NO a child has no automatic right to that prime spot. If the childs parents want that prime spot, then THEY just have got there before me. I will not let you push your special snowflake in front of me , just cos YOU didnt get there in time.

My kids have manners and they don't cut line or break in front of people. They are kind and polite and mostly well behaved. They learn from me and how I treat people and I would never be rude or ugly. I don't expect anything from anyone and neither should they, but It is more magical when any person makes a sacrifice and puts someone else above themselves. If you shared your spot with my child I would be appreciative and I would wait further back and not expect to have a place up front. Just figured that kindness would be more widespread in the World. The trip in 2014 was the last time my family was there and like I stated I have seen some good and some BAD but I guess that is anywhere .

To me what really seems to be the issue the OP is bringing up is not that WDW isn't a place for all to come and be kids at heart (because that is what WDW is for) but that the attitudes of people.

I'm 5ft 3 1/2ish" there are def kids taller than me..so I'm not exactly like "yes please come in front of me because you're a kid and I'm 28 so I should be ok with it." My husband is 6ft 5 1/2inches. Out of respect for others he does move himself to the back of things. It actually can work out in our favor because there are many times he can get better pictures/videos lol

I don't think it's wrong for someone not to want their special event to be recognized but I don't think they should also lament about it if it doesn't happen. That goes for kids too.

If you see someone who cusses out a CM or is extremely rude to them chances are they are that way outside of WDW in their everyday life. That's not a Disney issue that's a personal issue.

As far as ADRs are concerned well yes sometimes people do get really upset and I don't always agree with their reaction but I do respect that for them getting their ADR might be part of their magic of their vacation. It's like if you got your heart set on a certain resort but it was sold out..sure another resort could do the trick and be fine but it would be hard not to be bummed out about not getting the resort you wanted.

I know the OP has already corrected herself but I do find myself getting a bit annoyed when the thought process is WDW=only for kids. If a family or couple decides to not go to WDW or any other Disney park unless they have their kids with them or have kids at all then that is a personal decision but is not the rule. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with going only with your kids but nor do I think it's wrong to go without kids.
I think As I read the post I agree 100 percent. I am realizing my issue was more with the attitude that people carry around in WDW
I will always try to put others ahead of myself, and I was able to see some very ugly sides to people. I just want a pleasant trip for all:goofy:

Last edited:
but It is more magical when any person makes a sacrifice and puts someone else above themselves.

AGREED :) and I do pixie dusting when I can, for example I have given away paper fast passes in Disneyland California and Paris when I know I wont make them, I frequently give first timers help with directions or insider tips and so much more.

BUT I draw the line at prime spots for parades and shows. I am a small person and I know that my view will be obstructed by a regular sized person, so I make sure I get a prime front spot. Honestly if a child tries to squeeze or wiggle in front of me, I will make it an issue and stop them, push them away!

"That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up" - Walt Disney

"growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"- Walt Disney

We like to try to go once a year, and who our family consists of on each trip varies, two years ago it was, ME, DH, DD, DS, DBFF x2, step brother and my dad, last year just DH and me, this year, me, DH, DBFF x2, next spring just me and DS. If we are able we will always give up a seat on the bus for someone, always let a family ride together, we will never get in the way of other's vacations or believe that ours is more important, nor will we expect any extra pixie dust if we are celebrating. We will share in the magic that Walt envisioned and probably never grow up, we will stand in line, enjoy characters meals, travel around the world at Epcot, and yes I will go on FEA, and no it doesn't bother me that my group of 4 adults may cause a 5 year old to wait 12 more seconds for the ride. Yes I have been questioned a. why do we go so often and b. isn't that for kids

If it was just for kids there would be no TOT or Food and Wine festival and it probably wouldn't cost what it does now.

We have been treated rudely in the past just before a parade started where a family of 6 just showed up as it was approaching and told us to move so them and there kids could see, normally we will let a kid in front but not the whole group, this was not acceptable and grandma decided to try to move DH with her scooter, luckily a CM was near by and told them to move on. I am tired of being judged for taking part in the magic, I am polite and I am nice but I also save and plan my trips, and we deserve to enjoy it as much as anyone else, it doesn't matter if you are 4, 14, 39 or 86. Just have fun!

Disney parks are made for families of all ages even if none of the family member are 10 years and younger. Not all kids/ young people get to go Disney because going is NOT a right, it's a privilege.

Some people like me experience the parks for the first time when they are in their 20s and others even older. I think adults who have never been have just as much of a right to experience the magic of it all, compared to an 8 year old who has visited 10+ times. Of course everyone should be nice to each other, but I don't think parents or kids should take advantage of the "expected niceness or courtesy" or shame other guests into do things for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter