Done the Soarin' tour at Epcot

zavandor

DIS Veteran
I was lucky enough to book the Soarin' tour at Epcot for last Wednesday and I attended it. Spoilers ahead.

So what to expect? Not much.
I know that having said that it looks I din't like it, on the contrary I liked it a lot but it was different from what I was expecting.
The tour is talked a lot. Our guide was very knowledgeable and told us a lot of Disney history. At the beginning that looked out of context but then all somehow fit in. The parts I liked the most were about the immagineers decisions about landscaping and architecture of the Land pavilion.
We then went a bit backstage, but we just went out of a door and had a look at one of the theater buildings, he shown us a canister used to diffuse the smells during the ride and we went back in.
And that's it, we then entered the FP+ queue and waited out turn to ride Soarin'. So it's true that one can use his tier 1 FP+ for something else, but doing the tour one looses the opportunity to rope drop efficently the park: the tour started late, around 8:30 and finished at 9:40.

So that's it, I liked the tour but because I enjoy to know more about Disney history and the little untold stories behind the immagineers work. But there was no look at the ride behind the scene, we didn't see any secret control room or had access to anything interesting backstage. When we arrived at the ride the park was already open and we just rode it like everyone else. If you're expecting a bit of "action" you're going to be disappointed. I think they are not allowing children on the tour? That's because they would be bored to death.

Since I couldn't get a slot for either of our trips this year then I'm glad to hear we're not missing too much.

The tour at WDW seems a bit different from the DL one then because in DL, we had an opportunity to ride then enter through a door and ended up behind the big screen where the images are projected on. We got to touch the mesh screen and when he was describing the material etc, we had the opportunity to see the ride in action. We also went backstage and he let us sniff the scent canisters and talked about the engineering behind it. Seems like the DL tour is a bit better!

Our tour was delayed a bit, it started at 8:30, so maybe if the group arrives to soarin before park opening they are let slip a bit more backstage. Maybe others can report their experiences.

I'm just curious-how much walking is required on this tour? I usually use a scooter at WDW, because walking is a challenge for me. I've ridden the Soarin ride, and leave my scooter at the Land building entrance. Walking through the line for Soarin seems like a pretty long walk. Or do you think I could use my ECV for part of the tour? So excited to hear that someone actually got to do the tour.

.We also went backstage and he let us sniff the scent canisters and talked about the engineering behind it.
Quick question tangential to the original post.
I rode the "new" Soarin' in December. Rode it twice, actually. The only scent I detected was when there were the (CGI?) elephants; a kind of musty smell.
Are there other smells I missed? Seemed to me there were a lot more smells in the original (pine forest, orange grove, sea mist, etc.

Yes, with my DH, wdrl, we are looking forward to meeting you bobbiwoz.
Ok... we may have discussed this before, I think I remember talking about it, but I look forward to meeting you and your DH too! We will be with my DSis and Patricia, a friend who is also a DVC member. So, 6 of our group are accounted for!

Ok... we may have discussed this before, I think I remember talking about it, but I look forward to meeting you and your DH too! We will be with my DSis and Patricia, a friend who is also a DVC member. So, 6 of our group are accounted for!

I think you spoke with wdrl before. I don't know if you knew we were married. It is interesting that we might be almost half of the tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter