Donate plasma?

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for tips and information on plasma donation. There is a Talecris nearby. I went in Saturday morning to donate for the first time (hoping to become a regular donor). I was denied to even try due to "small veins"!

I always drink about 2.5L water per day and the only other liquid I drink daily is one large mug of coffee. I consider myself well hydrated. I don't have any chronic illnesses or take any medication regularly. I workout most days doing 30-45 minute activities like yoga, jogging, or popsugar workout videos. I've never had a problem problem doing a blood draw or the one time I donated blood. They find my vein the first time and blood comes out easily.

What's up!? Should I go back and hope for a different screener? I can't believe they didn't take any history on me or even try. Just a little palpation and I don't qualify

That is super weird, I would call the office manager then maybe try again. I have one of the best blood types for plasma donation I need to get back to it. Not so much for the cash but because it's needed.

They are very picky here about plasma donors. There is a process to go through to qualify. I went through it and was deemed acceptable, but I have not done it yet.
This is through our local blood bank, and other than cookies and juice, there is no compensation for it. I didn't think it was legal anymore in the U.S. to pay for plasma. Clearly I am wrong.t

Plasma donation is different than blood donation. I think a larger needle is used because they reinfuse the red blood cells. I'm a regular blood donor, tried donating platelets at the same facility(so same staff), it didn't work because my veins were to small and when the reinfusion stated it ended up all under the skin instead of the vein.

No experience with this but as someone with small veins thr one time I donated it hurt the entire time. When I had my wisdom teeth out at 25 they had to do the iv needle with a children's size. I'm 5'4" so I don't consider myself child size but I can understand why vein size would be a problem when needing to use a larger needle.

They are very picky here about plasma donors. There is a process to go through to qualify. I went through it and was deemed acceptable, but I have not done it yet.
This is through our local blood bank, and other than cookies and juice, there is no compensation for it. I didn't think it was legal anymore in the U.S. to pay for plasma. Clearly I am wrong.t

Ya it's not a lot like $30-40 maybe?

Ya it's not a lot like $30-40 maybe?
I know it was a popular way for the homeless to make money 35-40 years ago. There used to be a plasma center next to the homeless shelter. But it's long gone.

I agree that you need larger veins for plasma donation, and they probably deemed you unsuitable because of that. You can try again, but you will probably get the same response.

My sister-in-law did it once, and after that, she looked like someone beat her arm black and blue, it looked horrible!

I was rejected twice by our blood bank trying to donate regular blood. The first time they tried and tried, and sent me home. Said, "do not feel bad, not everyone can donate". A few years later, I tried again, because it was for my own surgery. After some failed attempts they saw in the computer that I was turned away before, and asked, "Did you think something CHANGED?" I said, "I have no idea how it works, maybe".

I have B+, so not in demand anyway, lol. My husband is O- and donates regularly. I will add that I also have trouble with IVs and bloodwork at times, so some people just have crappy veins. (They use the butterfly small needle for labs)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter