• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Writing this from a warm tub, eating frozen blueberries!

Had a busy, busy week with many mamas birthing. I missed my Thursday run but substituted a stand up paddle board lesson instead. While no cardio, the leg work was amazing! I worked straight from early Friday morning until 9am this morning, and fell into bed for 6 hours. Got up and returned to the two hospitals I have privileges at (I am a home/hospital community midwife) and visited some of my mamas and babies, then came home for some dinner. I convinced myself, thought it was excruciatingly difficult, not to miss my scheduled 4k run, so I went out. I ran 3k and to tell the truth, I power walked one kilometer. I was weary and worn out and let myself off the hook. The run was a gentle one and I am glad I went out. Hoping I don't get called out tonight! I'd love to sleep in my bed and get out for my scheduled 14km run tomorrow.

Well Ducks, today I proved that a duck's natural habitat is in the water. DH and I had planned to run at LSU this morning. Got there and it was pouring. So we drove across town to my gym to use the treadmils. It was closed. Great. By that time, it looked like was clearing up. We headed back to LSU, stretched and just as we started, it began to pour again. :headache: We headed home. Got there and was clear again. :rolleyes: DH pushed to just run anyway. Fine! I gave it one more shot. It drizzled most of the way. Then at mile 5.5 the skies opened up. We were two very wet ducks by mile 7. But it was cool and the asthma took the morning off, so I had a pretty good long run. And I have to say That water is definitely better than the heat for this duck.;)

Good morning Ducks!

Out for a 10 miler yesterday with the Galloway group. The pace was a little slow for me, but I keep thinking about those last miles of the marathon and maybe it's better to embrace the tortoise instead of the hare. :) I've settled into the 1:1 jog/walk intervals. Very comfortable. Next race up is the Blue Mountain Beach 1/2 Marathon in October.

Everyone - Keep up the great training runs, and races!

:cool2:

Happy Monday morning Ducks and Duckling!

I'm feeling super happy this morning with my progress: down 60# as of this morning! 60!!!! Makes my BMI 30.5 so still have some to lose. Only 4 more pounds before I get to shed the 'obese' category! How awesome will that be?

My 14k run went well. I didn't have enough water so I needed to stop off for some water at a convenience store :rotfl:. I am a slow runner: it took me 2 hours in total, but it was a LSD and my longest run ever, so I am just happy I finished and felt good afterwards. I usually do my LSD at about 8:00/km but this was slow even for me. It was not a flat route, and there was a monster hill that I walked briskly. Mostly I did 10:1s but did take a few longer walk breaks to fuel up as I don't like running and eating goo. I want to run comfortable, not all dripping with goo and with my mouth all sugary.

I used about half a pack of Honey Stingers gel candy thingies, one PowerBar gel, and a Nuun tablet in my water. I had three running water bottles - I needed a fourth. So I stopped at the c-store and bought a vitamin water as a treat with only 3k left to go. Was gooooooood and cold. I think that I need to get some salt tablets for these longer runs, after I do some research, although everything that I ate/drank had sodium in it. My shirt and face and grossly, my running shorts, were all encrusted with salt stains when I was done. HOTNESS! :rotfl: I think I did a good job of the fuelling and hydration in the end because I had a decent pee when I got home that was light (TMI?) and felt pretty good. I am recognizing the signs of being in need of fuel on a run: a little foggy brained, and my muscles feel heavy, and I feel weary. Luckily I have had no stomach upset at all so far, except a wee bit after chugging some of that vitamin water crap.

I think I need a hydration pack as the kilometers creep up. More than 3 of those little water bottles feels clunky and heavy around my waist. Yay! More money spent on running gear! Ack!

jenifred said:
Well Ducks, today I proved that a duck's natural habitat is in the water. DH and I had planned to run at LSU this morning. Got there and it was pouring. So we drove across town to my gym to use the treadmils. It was closed. Great. By that time, it looked like was clearing up. We headed back to LSU, stretched and just as we started, it began to pour again. :headache: We headed home. Got there and was clear again. :rolleyes: DH pushed to just run anyway. Fine! I gave it one more shot. It drizzled most of the way. Then at mile 5.5 the skies opened up. We were two very wet ducks by mile 7. But it was cool and the asthma took the morning off, so I had a pretty good long run. And I have to say That water is definitely better than the heat for this duck.;)

Just have to say I love this story. Have had many similar outings. Good for you in sticking with it!

Did we ever decide on a Duck meet for marathon weekend?

We didn't pick a place for Saturday night yet. But those who chimed in were fine with the DTD restaurants or Turf Club at SSR as you had suggested. I vote Turf Club! :)

For Sunday it's an open meet at the Contemporary Bar, Outer Rim, from 3-5pm.

Then Chef Mickey's for dinner at 5pm. I have just myself, Joe, and his wife Debbie confirmed for that. I'll need to know who is coming so I can adjust the ADR I made. It's currently made for 14 people, the max it would let me. :)

You're confirmed Karin! I'm glad you all will be there! :)

Ok so that makes 6 of us for Chef Mickey's so far. 8 spots left.

Liz, Chad and I are planning on coming to the Outer Rim for drinks...assuming I'm not still lying along the marathon course somewhere. :faint:

Hello Duckies! Liz, bought my plane tickets for a Monday departure, so I will join the Ducks for Chef Mickeys. Just thought it would be too much of a rush to get back to room by 11 for check out. Actually not sure what to expect for a Full, this will be a new thing. Running for over four hours just seems so long! Today finally started extra running, and felt good. I have two 10K's within a month, and two long bikerides coming before the ToT.

Yay Augie! Glad you'll be joining us! I need to book my flights...

Chef Mickey's: 7 spots filled, 7 left.

I will definitely meet my flock at the Outer Rim for cocktails before your fun dinner at Chef Mickey's! My friend who's joining me this trip really, really wants to eat at Chefs de France, and that Sunday is the best time to squeeze it in. So I will toast with a few cocktails and then ride off into the sunset on the monorail for our dinner..... ;) I'm sure you will all have a really fun dinner!

We didn't pick a place for Saturday night yet. But those who chimed in were fine with the DTD restaurants or Turf Club at SSR as you had suggested. I vote Turf Club! :)

For Sunday it's an open meet at the Contemporary Bar, Outer Rim, from 3-5pm.

Then Chef Mickey's for dinner at 5pm. I have just myself, Joe, and his wife Debbie confirmed for that. I'll need to know who is coming so I can adjust the ADR I made. It's currently made for 14 people, the max it would let me. :)

Hi Ducks!

I'll be there from 10th - 13th
Can make it to meet Thurs - Sat any place works for me.
Leaving Sunday by 10AM. For RSVP purposes It's me and my coworker.

Too hot to walk outside. Terrible this week only did a 4 hour on Saturday and walked Busch Gardens on Sunday :) Alot of rain this week also.
Hope to get back into in. 5 weeks to TOT!!! Eeek.

Stay cool. :cool1:

Hello Duckies! Liz, bought my plane tickets for a Monday departure, so I will join the Ducks for Chef Mickeys. Just thought it would be too much of a rush to get back to room by 11 for check out. Actually not sure what to expect for a Full, this will be a new thing. Running for over four hours just seems so long! Today finally started extra running, and felt good. I have two 10K's within a month, and two long bikerides coming before the ToT.

For over 4 hours!, what are you going to take this run easy?:lmao:

I had a good week running, Sunday I got 11 miles in at a decent pace. My legs felt good. Tuesday I ran 5 miles and usually the next run after my long run is tough, the legs always feel heavy, but this time I was able a 9:30 mile pace. The weather has finally cooled down and that has helped.

My sister & brother in law are coming down for marathon weekend and doing the 5k, so Debbie and I might sign up for the run also. What's it called, to do the 5k and full on the same weekend, the Sleepy?

Our bags are packed and ready to head south tomorrow night. We are looking forward to a weekend at WDW, hopefully tropical storm Irene stays away long enough.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Joe

disney_runner said:
Well, Ducks, I got my long run in this morning because we have a busy day today and tomorrow. 9 miles, and it went really well! Actually, all my runs have been going very well lately. I'm not sure what's up with that, so I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Half marathon in two weeks - and it's looking good!

We're picking up another dog today! He's a Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenees mix. 6 mos. old and 60 lbs. He's gonna be a big boy! Our current Golden is 11 years old and while he still has some good years left, he's getting up there.

Happy waddling to everyone this weekend. Quack, quack!

Nicely done!! I hope I have your running luck as I head out soon for a 7 mile

Oh crud. Just realized I'm supposed to do Be Our Guest on Sunday eve. Guess it will depend on whether or not I can swing park tics! Either way will come to dinner Sat' & Outer Rim Sunday!

Curious about shorter intervals too. Might try that for my 14 miler tomorrow.

How many days are folks running? XT? I've been doing 3 days & will add 2 days of XT this week. Work up or tire out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter