• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that there are 6 of us going to TOT. :cool1:
According to Liz's list on page 1
I have one niece and one nephew with Autism. Thanks for those coming out to support. I am looking forward to the Villian party afterwards!

Colleen

Happy Wednesday Ducks!

It's so HOT! I skipped my run this morning because my partner couldn't go and I couldn't motivate myself to go into the heat alone. Now if I want to stick with my running 4 days a week this week and since I only ran on Monday so far, I'll have to run tomorrow, Friday and Saturday...we'll see if I can manage that...

Easter~Way to go on breaking free from your bed! I know that isn't easy!

Joe~Harry Potter world was AWESOME!!! Oh we all loved it so much. We fell in love with Butterbear (both frozen and not) and Pumpkin Juice. The Forbidden Journey is THE best ride we've ever been on. (And btw, Spiderman is the 2nd best.) The atmosphere of Hogsmeade is amazing! We went there first thing in the morning and then again later in the day. It was so hard to pull ourselves away from it especially knowing we don't know when we'll be back. I'm so glad we finally sucked it up and bought the one day Universal tickets. It is a must do for any HP fan! And Islands of Adventure really impressed us overall, too. We had a great day there.

At least when you get up to your 20 mile run it won't be so stinking hot out there!

Glad Stephanie is enjoying her trip!

Colleen~Thanks for the well-wishes. :) I am happily injury and illness free at the moment! Just hot! lol

Karin~Woohoo! Kidani in August, that's great! And the water parks too, yay! You're going to have a blast!
That's so funny what your dh's friend said! LOL! I can sympathize though...my runs lately are really more like walks with some running thrown in here and there!

Carolynn~Welcome to the Ducks! :donald: Nice to meet you! Yay, another Goofy goer! I'll get all your races added to the list (in post #2). :)

Shanonn~Welcome back! Glad you decided to rejoin us! :donald: Now please tell me if I'm spelling your name correctly..one n and then two?

Vic~I love and envy that you are so close to beautiful beaches!

All~We definitely have to plan a Duck meal (or two or more!) for marathon weekend!

I'll be there 11-14. It'll be my first time doing marathon weekend alone, and first time going for three nights instead of two. I'll be at OKW, and I won't have park tickets. So I'll need to meet at a resort or DTD.

I'm open for dinner all three nights (Fri,Sat,Sun). I'll just want to be back in my room by 9pm on Fri and Sat.

Here are the menus if anyone wants to start thinking about where to eat: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm#res

... I have a few races coming up:

July 28 Stomp the Mega Quarry 10k
Aug 25 Mud Hero 5k
Sept 8 Haliburton Forest 12k trail run (tentative)
Sept 22 Oasis Zoo 10k
Sept 22 Zombie Run 5k (for fun, with my kid - tentative)
Sept 29 Tower of Terror 10miler
Oct 14 Scotiabank Half Marathon
Jan 12/13 Goofy

I added your races, not the tentative ones though. Just let me know if you decide to do those and I'll add them. :)

... Can someone clarify what the WISH racing team is and how it works?

Thanks!

Here's my attempt to explain:

WISH stands for We're Inspired to Stay Healthy. I honestly don't know who first started this section of the DISBoards, but I'm glad they did! You are a member of the WISH team simply by choosing to be and posting here. This particular board, the Events/Competition Board, is a place to meet fellow Disney-loving runners/walkers and share motivation, information and camaraderie.

Apparently the WISH group became so large that it was decided to create teams so that people had smaller groups to interact in. So we Ducks are one of those teams. All teams are open to anyone new joining in.

As far as how it works, you can take from it and make it what you want it to be. You can participate (ie post on the board/threads) with the WISH group, with just this group and/or with both. There is WISH gear (running shirts, hats) that some people buy if they want. There is a WISH meet planned for every marathon weekend, and it's been held at POP Century in recent years on that Friday night before the half.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for all the welcomes :hippie:

Today I did core and weights, and tonight is a 4k steady run with my running group. Tomorrow is 3k, Sat is 9k and Sun is 4k. We are in week 4 of the half marathon 18 week program. Keeping up so far, though many in the group have done it before. Nice group of people. Love our Sunday coffee afterwards.

When I didn't run I assumed that runners were elitist people who looked down at beginners. I have found the opposite: everyone is very encouraging and supportive, no matter how fast or far you run. :lovestruc

Evening all!

This heat & an awful work week are really thwarting my efforts! Managing to do some core work & plan to cross train 2moro. Hope everyone's more successful at beating the heat than I am!

Liz- yes, you're spelling it correctly! & thanks for asking. (& thanks Mom for making my life just the teeniest bit more difficult ;)

I vote Pop or maybe Portabello for a Duck Dinner. One more suggestion, very underrated but always available & a great place to dine outside---the Turf Club @ SSR.

Liz...here are my upcoming marathons:

July: 24 Hour Around the Lake marathon in MA
August: ET Midnight Marathon in NV and Self Transcendence in NY
September: Fox Valley in IL
October: Steamtown in Pa and marine corps in Va
November: Raleigh City of Oaks in NC and NCRR Trail Marathon in MD
December: not positive yet
January: Goofy!!!!

Trying to do one a month so I maintain instead of train. Lol! Not getting any faster, but it's fun!

Oh. Wanted to add that I'm going to a chi running workshop on Sunday. Hoping to improve my form and my chi. Have fun, all!

Morning Ducks!

Got my 5K in this morning. I'm on the third week for my TOT program. It stormed last night, so good news - it was not as hot as it had been. YAY! Bad news, the air was so thick I felt like I was breathing in mud. Booo! But with the help of my trusty inhaler, I made it through. Moving up to 5 miles for my long run this weekend. Can't wait to get back to WDW!

My business partner is doing a midnight 5K next month. I'm thinking about doing it just to get a feel for night runs.

Funny side story - I just found out that my partner is AUDisneyDad's brother-in-law. It was hearing about Tim running the 2010 WDW Half that inspired me to run in the first place. It's a small world after all. Thanks Tim!

For my TOT folks, what are you doing about meals on race day? I usually run in the mornings on an empty stomach. Wondering how to properly fuel for a night run.

marathonmommy said:
Liz...here are my upcoming marathons:

July: 24 Hour Around the Lake marathon in MA
August: ET Midnight Marathon in NV and Self Transcendence in NY
September: Fox Valley in IL
October: Steamtown in Pa and marine corps in Va
November: Raleigh City of Oaks in NC and NCRR Trail Marathon in MD
December: not positive yet
January: Goofy!!!!

Trying to do one a month so I maintain instead of train. Lol! Not getting any faster, but it's fun!

Dear Lord! Now 2/ month? Someone's really after that 50 state status! U go Laura!

Hey Ducks!

Just wanted to check in at the pond. I've been lurking from the tall grass on the water's edge for about a month.

I twisted my tail feathers up in June. In runner's lingo, that means I've got serious IT band issues. Went to the orthopedist who gave me some miracle drugs and his physical therpist gave me some stretches that ACTUALLY work, so I'm on the mend finally. Hope to be running again by August 1. That will give me just over 3 months to prep for the W&D Half, so I'm good.

Hope everyone has a cool weekend, temperature-wise. Keep hydrated! ANd quack on.

Renee

Happy Saturday evening Ducks!

Well I managed to run two of the three days I intended to, today and yesterday. Better than one or zero! I'll be back out there tomorrow, too.

Carolynn~That's great you've felt welcomed and supported with your running. :goodvibes

Laura~Wowza, so many marathons, how does your body handle it?! I KNOW mine couldn't. I'm fully expecting ailments when I get into the long training runs this fall... Oh, throw me some dates and I'll add your races to the list!

Jeni~I bet it is extra challenging for you with asthma running in the humidity and heat. I know it's hard for me without that! You're tough!
I think doing that night 5K to prepare is a great idea, I would do it if I were you.
That's crazy that Tim is your partner's BIL! Small world indeed!

Renee~Oh sorry about the IT issues, ugh! Hang in there...heal up!

Marathon Weekend Ducks~I was just looking at the ADR's to get an idea of what's still available for us for dinners that weekend, and there are still plenty of restaurants open. I had an idea that might be fun.... What about eating at Chef Mickey's on Sunday night to celebrate the weekend's races, we can get some fun pics of us with our medals with the characters. What do you think? The only downside I thought of is being sore and having to get up and down from our seats for the buffet and pics! LOL! But then I thought, I'll probably have some pain meds in my system by then...
Shanonn, Turf Club is one that I thought of, too. Even though we've stayed at SSR several times we haven't eaten there yet. It gets great reviews!

Liz, I love the idea of our flock getting together to celebrate somewhere. However, I've already made plans with my friend for us to eat at Chefs de France for a celebratory dinner! But I'd totally be up for meeting for a cocktail or something, say about 3pm? Would most of us be ready to function again about that time?

On another note, I've lost my mojo. We were on vacation for the last week (Lake Tahoe) and I didn't do a darn thing while out there. Nada. Zero. And I just don't seem to care to start up again. I last left it at a 6 mile LR on 7/6, and then some 3-4 milers with the last one being on 7/12. I've got two 5K's this week (Thur. night and Sat. morning), so I'll be running by then, but just have no motivation to get going!! :confused3 Alas, I'll get there eventually. Maybe this is just much needed rest? Continued good running to the rest of you! I'll catch up. Sooner or later. :)

Hi everyone!

I did a 8 mile run this morning. Everything was good, but I was slow. This heat is beating me up. My usual run day is Tuesday, but it was 104:firefight out, so I skipped it. Wednesday was 94, I did 5 miles. Only 2 runs last week, hopefully I can get back on schedule this week.

Liz: A Sunday meet sounds good to me, hopefully my legs will be working, Debbie might have to wheel me around. I am open for anything, Chef Mickey sounds like fun, I haven't done a character meal before. We are doing our first character meal Christmas day at Aulani. I am pretty excited about it, Steph, not so much.

Renee: Hopefully you are on the mend.:thumbsup2

Tanya: Did you do any hiking while at Lake Tahoe? I used to live in Sacramento back in my Air Force days and we used to spend a lot of time in the Tahoe area. They have some really nice trails on the west side of the lake.

Laura: WOW on the races you have coming up. I guess if you are going to run anyways, you might as well have fun and come away with a medal.

To all of the Tower of Terrorers, any ideas for a get together? Debbie and I plan on spending most of our time Friday & Saturday in Epcot for the Food & Wine.

Have a good week.

Joe

Joe - I can't believe you haven't done a character meal yet! They really are lots of fun, even for grown ups! As for Tahoe, we didn't do much hiking. Just two short ones around Fallen Leaf Lake. Our kids are too little for anything much over 1 mile, so we really just relaxed by the pool and beach for a week.

I had a thought regarding a gathering of sorts. Maybe for a pre-dinner round of drinks, like I mentioned before, say about 3 or 4pm? As far as location, would the bar at The Wave work if many ducks go to Chef Mickey's for dinner? Or the Polynesian? Alternatively, would Raglan Road (or anywhere at DTD) work as well since there seems to be a handful of people staying at Port Orleans/OKW area? :scratchin Just thinking out loud here, and apparently thinking about celebrating with a drink. Or three. :drinking1

Or, duh, the Outer Rim bar at the CR! Even closer to Chef Mickey's.

Hey Ducks! Happy Monday! Sounds like everyone is getting some good runs in, in spite of blistering heat & relaxing vacations ;)

I did 7 VFF miles yesterday with my almost 4 yr old in the stroller & I dont mind saying it was brutal. The stroller is a Baby Jogger City Elite & BARELY acceptable for running. Some sidewalk, some trail & no music (ended up giving the kid my ipod) made for a loooong run. But I felt pretty good & now rejuvenated to get my groove on. MCM here we come! Then on to Marathon Weekend!

Laura- sorry, ther's no keepin up with your kamakazee schedule! But I am planning to do the MD trail run after thanksgiving!

Can't wait for a Duck meet!

Anyone doing the W & Dine?

Managed to get in my long run of the week - 9k (week 4 of HM training). I was so sweaty afterwards that DH chastised me for getting out of the shower without a towel. Um, no, hadn't made it into the shower yet! LOL It was *that* hot. Did some short intervals in this run (I usually do 10:1s) and was surprised how good I felt afterwards and how my per km time was just a little lengthened. Going to play with this and stop feeling like I can't be a real runner if I incorporate walking into it. I guess with starting running very overweight I am still a very self-conscious runner - even with a lot of the weight off.

Got all packed up and headed out of town to a kids' camp where I am the camp 'nurse' for a week while my older two attend the camp. I am here with my 5 year old and doing my best to entertain him. Unfortunately that, coupled with my need to be present for camp kid needs, it meant that I wasn't able to get in the 3 runs I ought to have this week per my training schedule. BUT my mom is coming to visit and staying overnight in my nurse's cabin, so I can likely get in a run both days! Yay! I'm trying to keep myself entertained and not snacking out of boredom.

I would love to do a meet with either or both of the ToT runs or Marathon weekend. Unfortunately we are leaving both weekends on Sunday. For the ToT weekend we are leaving BLT at around noon. Marathon weekend we are leaving BLT around 4pm, so could manage a 3ish drink meet at The Wave as someone suggested. I will certainly be staggering by that point with my Goofy attempt - I'm just warning you! :rotfl2:

This weekend is my 10k Stomp the Mega Quarry. It is my second 10k. My first went well, partially due to a net downhill course and the certainty that my coach was waiting at the finish line. This weekend's race is described as 'rolling country hills, trail and gravel road'. I suspect a PR is not going to happen :laughing: My most recent race was an 8k at the end of June and that was a hot mess: golf course (steep hills, full sun, very very hot and humid, rushed to get there, glaring sun, asphalt course). I am hoping to *feel* good on this race and just enjoy. My next race is a 6k Mud Hero race with a team of 8 women all my age (30s and 40s). So enjoying some good variety to figure out what I like and how to best prepare for stuff going forward. Figuring out fuelling and water, pacing, etc.

Enjoying reading all the updates!

I only did 4.4 miles yesterday, but felt good.
I'm SURE I'll need to do some foam rolling soon - felt a twinge in the ITB/Knee.
Renee: PLEASE do share your stretches!

Joe: Chef Mickey's is so fun! Love it there!

Hope everyone is well!

... On another note, I've lost my mojo. We were on vacation for the last week (Lake Tahoe) and I didn't do a darn thing while out there. Nada. Zero. And I just don't seem to care to start up again. I last left it at a 6 mile LR on 7/6, and then some 3-4 milers with the last one being on 7/12. I've got two 5K's this week (Thur. night and Sat. morning), so I'll be running by then, but just have no motivation to get going!! :confused3 Alas, I'll get there eventually. Maybe this is just much needed rest? Continued good running to the rest of you! I'll catch up. Sooner or later. :)

I bet your 5K's will spark your motivation! :thumbsup2

Hi everyone!

I did a 8 mile run this morning. Everything was good, but I was slow. This heat is beating me up. My usual run day is Tuesday, but it was 104:firefight out, so I skipped it. Wednesday was 94, I did 5 miles. Only 2 runs last week, hopefully I can get back on schedule this week.

Liz: A Sunday meet sounds good to me, hopefully my legs will be working, Debbie might have to wheel me around. I am open for anything, Chef Mickey sounds like fun, I haven't done a character meal before. We are doing our first character meal Christmas day at Aulani. I am pretty excited about it, Steph, not so much. ...

Wtg on your 8! The longest I've gone so far this summer is 4 miles. I'm planning on 5ish this week though.

I can't believe you've never done a character meal! But having your first at Aulani on xmas day is perfect! :) I'm glad you're interested in Chef Mickey's for that Sunday, I hope some others are too so we can make it a plan.

... I had a thought regarding a gathering of sorts. Maybe for a pre-dinner round of drinks, like I mentioned before, say about 3 or 4pm? As far as location, would the bar at The Wave work if many ducks go to Chef Mickey's for dinner? Or the Polynesian? Alternatively, would Raglan Road (or anywhere at DTD) work as well since there seems to be a handful of people staying at Port Orleans/OKW area? :scratchin Just thinking out loud here, and apparently thinking about celebrating with a drink. Or three. :drinking1

Or, duh, the Outer Rim bar at the CR! Even closer to Chef Mickey's.

I love the idea of meeting then, but honestly I'm not sure how the timing will work! I'm using the full 7 hours for the full to estimate timing...so say I start at 6am that takes me to 1pm. Get back to resort to clean up and eat. I have no idea how I'll be feeling. So I hesitate to plan a meet for 3pm...ya know? I know I can make 5pm since that allows a couple more hours.

What about another night? Do you already have plans for Friday and Saturday?

Hey Ducks! Happy Monday! Sounds like everyone is getting some good runs in, in spite of blistering heat & relaxing vacations ;)

I did 7 VFF miles yesterday with my almost 4 yr old in the stroller & I dont mind saying it was brutal. The stroller is a Baby Jogger City Elite & BARELY acceptable for running. Some sidewalk, some trail & no music (ended up giving the kid my ipod) made for a loooong run. But I felt pretty good & now rejuvenated to get my groove on. MCM here we come! Then on to Marathon Weekend!

Laura- sorry, ther's no keepin up with your kamakazee schedule! But I am planning to do the MD trail run after thanksgiving!

Can't wait for a Duck meet!

Anyone doing the W & Dine?

I used a jogging stroller for awhile a few years ago and boy was it hard! I really commend anyone who runs with them. You should be very proud doing so in this weather!

There are a couple Ducks doing W&D this year, see post #2.

Managed to get in my long run of the week - 9k (week 4 of HM training). I was so sweaty afterwards that DH chastised me for getting out of the shower without a towel. Um, no, hadn't made it into the shower yet! LOL It was *that* hot. Did some short intervals in this run (I usually do 10:1s) and was surprised how good I felt afterwards and how my per km time was just a little lengthened. Going to play with this and stop feeling like I can't be a real runner if I incorporate walking into it. I guess with starting running very overweight I am still a very self-conscious runner - even with a lot of the weight off.

Got all packed up and headed out of town to a kids' camp where I am the camp 'nurse' for a week while my older two attend the camp. I am here with my 5 year old and doing my best to entertain him. Unfortunately that, coupled with my need to be present for camp kid needs, it meant that I wasn't able to get in the 3 runs I ought to have this week per my training schedule. BUT my mom is coming to visit and staying overnight in my nurse's cabin, so I can likely get in a run both days! Yay! I'm trying to keep myself entertained and not snacking out of boredom.

I would love to do a meet with either or both of the ToT runs or Marathon weekend. Unfortunately we are leaving both weekends on Sunday. For the ToT weekend we are leaving BLT at around noon. Marathon weekend we are leaving BLT around 4pm, so could manage a 3ish drink meet at The Wave as someone suggested. I will certainly be staggering by that point with my Goofy attempt - I'm just warning you! :rotfl2:

This weekend is my 10k Stomp the Mega Quarry. It is my second 10k. My first went well, partially due to a net downhill course and the certainty that my coach was waiting at the finish line. This weekend's race is described as 'rolling country hills, trail and gravel road'. I suspect a PR is not going to happen :laughing: My most recent race was an 8k at the end of June and that was a hot mess: golf course (steep hills, full sun, very very hot and humid, rushed to get there, glaring sun, asphalt course). I am hoping to *feel* good on this race and just enjoy. My next race is a 6k Mud Hero race with a team of 8 women all my age (30s and 40s). So enjoying some good variety to figure out what I like and how to best prepare for stuff going forward. Figuring out fuelling and water, pacing, etc.

Enjoying reading all the updates!

Too funny what your dh said. I believe it! My running partner and I are big sweaters so we always look soaked and dripping at the end of our runs! So gross! lol

For marathon weekend what about Friday or Saturday nights? As I said, I am personally open all three nights, so I'd be happy to attend meets any or all of them.

I only did 4.4 miles yesterday, but felt good.
I'm SURE I'll need to do some foam rolling soon - felt a twinge in the ITB/Knee.
Renee: PLEASE do share your stretches!

Joe: Chef Mickey's is so fun! Love it there!

Hope everyone is well!

Hang in there with the knee/ITB Karin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter