• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I had to look this up, but it is kind of funny. I saw a good shirt at last year's W&D, there was a group with shirts that said "It's not a marathon until your nipples bleed". I learned this the hard way! The other day I saw a bumper sticker that read "My sport is your sport's punishment". I thought that was funny.

OK - now THAT's funny! I may have to steal it.

Happy Saturday Ducks! I hope everyone is doing good. I have signed up for 3 races last night. The Solstice Run 10K in June 23rd. I did this last year, it was a good race but very hilly. The Dexter Ann Arbor half marathon on June 3rd. The last 2 years I did the 10K for this event, so I am looking forward to trying the half. This race has a 13 minute mile average, so no slacking off on this one. I signed up for the Detroit half marathon today, October 21st. The cool part about this race is we run over the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor Canada then back into the U.S. through the tunnel under the Detroit River. We have decided not to do the flying Pig half in Cincinnati, so I have to find a race for May. Hopefully I can stay injure free this summer.

Debbie, Stephi and I went to Beauty and the Beast musical in Detroit today, it was good, but I think I like the HS version better. It still has all the good songs and once its over you still have the day at the park.

I like the shirt and bumper sticker running jokes, I might have to make one of those to put on my car.

Have a good week everyone!!

Joe

Good morning Ducks! Hoping everyone is doing well.

On the TM this morning for 2.5. Slow jog, and no knee issues! :thumbsup2

Signed up for a 4.4 mile race (Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate) scheduled for 28 May, so I guess I need to get back to a regularly scheduled training program.

There is a Galloway sponsored program starting in June which will run up to WDW marathon weekend. May sign up for it as we get a discount through work.

Karen, Joe and Augie- Congrats on your races!

Everyone - Take care.

:cool2:

I have been a VERY bad Duck. I haven't been on here in forever. I've been very bad with the computer lately doing anything other than work, Facebook, and Pinterest. I don't think was was even subscribed to this Duck link. I think I was still on the old one! Liz - thanks for reminding me where the pond is!

I won't even attempt to read all I have missed. I will just have to fill in the blanks as I go along. Anyway, since the last time I have been here (I'm guessing shortly after the Disney Marathon), I have kept running a marathon a month. However, in between races, I have been very naughty and have gotten lazy. I flew to Birmingham, AL and did the Mercedes-Benz Marathon. In March, I did the Rock n Roll USA Marathon and the Ocean Drive Marathon in Cape May. Shanonn (bounceliketigger) and I are registered for the North South Gettysburg Marathon next weekend - but neither of us are prepared. Yesterday, I couldn't even run a mile without walking. We are both also registered for the Bob Potts Trail Run Marathon in York, PA in May. After that, I'm not sure what I will do...reigster for more or start training all over again - from the beginning in hopes of improving rather than just getting the miles in. Now, I have 8 marathons under my belt. I became a Marathon Maniac and had a goal to do one a month - not sure if I will do that. Another crazy goal would be to do 50 marathons before my 50th birthday. Since I'm 42, its doable if I don't totally burnout.

I am registered for Goofy. Tried to get a room tonight online, but it says they are not accepting reservations for that time period yet.

Forgive me for not being in the loop...I know Karin and Liz are in for Disney 2013, but who else?

I apologize for being absent for so long. Hope all is well with everyone!

Marathonmommy - the last word I would use to describe a lady running monthly marathons is lazy. Way to go! DH and are are doing the WDW Marathon in 2013. It will be our first. Glad to have you back at the pond.

Joe, sounds like you have a busy schedule planned. You will be in great shape for January! Vic, the Eglin race sounds cool. I was never at Eglin, that was only one of four bases I could be at in the US, but wound up in SC. Laura, a marathon a month sounds like you have been busy.
Yesterday I did my first tri. A short one, only 400 yards swimming, 6 miles on the bike, and 2 miles running. It took me almost as long to swim as it did to bike. The bike and run saved me, was 24th in the bike segment, and pretty decent in the run. Will have to work on the swim part!
Have a great week, everyone!

Hi Marathmommy

I am also registered for the TOT & 2013 Half with sister & a co-worker in tow.
This will be my 2nd Half. 2nd time around a bit better now I have some idea what to expect with just getting to the corrals and DONT over hydrate!!!
Barely made it to portolets last time with TERRIBLE bus service (coach buses - not Disney bus) to the drop off area at EPCOT.

Staying at ASSports for TOT and Shades for Half.

Good morning, Ducks! About to hit the shower and drive to Gettysburg for the North South Marathon with Shanonn (bounceliketigger). I am meeting her on the way. This is her very first marathon and my 9th. I am so not prepared but should be able to muddle/waddle through. I hope I am able to encourage her to finish instead of the other way around. LOL! Have a great weekend, Ducks!

Good morning, Ducks! About to hit the shower and drive to Gettysburg for the North South Marathon with Shanonn (bounceliketigger). I am meeting her on the way. This is her very first marathon and my 9th. I am so not prepared but should be able to muddle/waddle through. I hope I am able to encourage her to finish instead of the other way around. LOL! Have a great weekend, Ducks!

Good luck! :thumbsup2

Happy Saturday!

Laura & Shanonn have a good time on your marathon tomorrow.

I ran my first trail half marathon this morning and let me tell you that was the hardest thing I have ever done. My normal training runs are pretty flat and this course had a lot of steep climbs and then back down. A mile in and my legs were already on fire. The trails were very narrow, normally room for 1 person and some of the twists and turns resembled a bobsled track. While running I kept remembering some good advise I received about 18 years ago, "watch out for woots and wocks!". When Stephanie was little we went hiking and she was the tour guide and that was what she said every time we went by a root and a rock. Just past the 5 mile marker my mind wandered and I forgot that good advise. My foot clipped a root and I took a tumble and scraped my knee. Luckily lil Donald broke my fall. For those that haven't seen him this is lil Donald that has come with me on every race this year.

lilDonald.jpg

I finished the run in 2:40 and I am feeling every minute in my legs right now. If I ever do this again I have to do training runs at the state park. It was a cool run through the woods and on bridges over the river, pretty peaceful, except for the pain In my legs:rolleyes2.
Well its time to ice the shins.
Have a good week everyone.

Joe

Congrats on completing your first trail race, Joe! Sorry the woot got you. :( Gotta love that Donald -- what a pal! :thumbsup2

Happy Monday Ducks!

So last night I had a marathon weekend anxiety dream...I posted about it on that thread if you want to read. I can't believe I'm already feeling stress over it though! Who knew?! :confused3

I'm doing well keeping up with my 3-4 milers for now. I need to start thinking about my official Goofy training plan. Summer will be here before I know it!

Joe~You aren't the only one who saw Beauty on the Beast on stage recently. I saw our high school's performance. :) They were actually quite good, Belle and the Beast were amazing singers and great actors! And they were both gorgeous kids, I could see them doing the HS one.
Lol..woots and wocks...she knew what she was talking about! ;) Congrats again and I hope you're starting to feel better!

Vic~That's great you've got a race to kick your training back into gear! :thumbsup2

Laura~Glad you came back! :) I read that if you want to book rooms for January now, you have to call them, can't do it online yet. How did your marathon go this weekend? I can't believe you've done so many in such a short time! Obviously your body is cool with them. I wonder how mine is going to react. eek!

Augie~Congrats again on your first tri! :cool1:

Carissa~Ok, I know you posted on fb that today was day 1...what did you do? :)

Carissa~Ok, I know you posted on fb that today was day 1...what did you do? :)

I did 20 minutes on the bike. My plan was to do the 20 minutes and then do a 20 minute insanity workout dvd that I bought recently. Well, just a few minutes into the insanity, I decided I needed to wait a couple of weeks before attempting. :rolleyes1 Tomorrow I plan to hop on the treadmill. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do -- walk or walk/run. I'm sure I'll throw some runs in.

Thanks for checking up on me! :hug: And sorry to hear about the stressful dream. I have total confidence that you will rock the Goofy, no problems. :goodvibes

Liz - I'm with you. Every once in a while I think about the reality of doing the marathon and I start to panic. :scared1: But we can do it! Time and training are on our side. :yay:

Hey Team Triple D's! I wanted to post a little bit this morning! I'm running in a 5k tonight (my first since early December since I've been marathon training). That's no big news, but I'm excited because my daughters will be running their first 5k tonight as well! DW will be running with DD7 and DD10 at the Gnat Days 5K in Camilla, GA tonight! Wish them luck please (and you can throw some my way since I'll be aiming for my first medal in a 5k tonight!!!!)

Well, DD's finished their first 5k Friday night and I was so proud of them. Although I didn't finish quite as fast as I wanted (25:21 vs. my goal time of 24:48), they did much better than expected. Neither of them had ever run any distance races at all and had never even walked/ran long distances other than Disney trips which was all walking prior to last Friday. They completed their 1st 5k in 47:53. They are both looking forward to their next race anxiously.

Liz - I'm with you. Every once in a while I think about the reality of doing the marathon and I start to panic. :scared1: But we can do it! Time and training are on our side. :yay:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Well, DD's finished their first 5k Friday night and I was so proud of them. Although I didn't finish quite as fast as I wanted (25:21 vs. my goal time of 24:48), they did much better than expected. Neither of them had ever run any distance races at all and had never even walked/ran long distances other than Disney trips which was all walking prior to last Friday. They completed their 1st 5k in 47:53. They are both looking forward to their next race anxiously.

I saw your post but didn't have time to reply. But I was thinking of you all on Friday! Congrats to your daughters! What an exciting accomplishment and that's great they want to do it again! Way to go to you, too. Sorry you didn't reach your goal, but dang, you're still fast! Lol

Way to go to you and your DDs!!! :thumbsup2 My kiddos are still small, but I am looking forward to the day they can run with me...or more likely run passed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter