Dog skin care -- try this before the vet -- & save $$ for Disney

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
My eight-year-old rottweiler is having dry skin issues and also "licking" paws, legs, body, etc.

While her vet is pretty good about not going $$$, it still is a hassle to take off time, pickup dog, drive 30 minutes to vet, wait, et al.

So, I went online and found everyone was recommending Coconut Oil. Well, never even knew there was such a thing, but wifey told me we had a jar in the kitchen and she uses it in stir-fry, etc. Hmmm.

Various sources recommended around 2-3 tablespoons for her size of dog a day with their normal food, but to start out slow with one teaspoon and increase week by week (she is 120 pounds and not fat).

Well, a week ago, offered her a teaspoon and she gobbled it down. For the last week has had a teaspoon in her food. A couple of days ago, I upped it to teaspoon and one-half.

All the online stuff said it would take a month. Last night I noticed no more flaking skin. Wife said she had noticed no licking.

I think I will stick with the teaspoon and a half and see how it goes. Is this scientific? Did I prove the coconut oil worked, no. But, hey, it is cheaper than the vet. The extra cash saved by avoiding the vet and potential "prescription meds" can go to Disney.

Oh, I should also say that in the past two days, her coat (fur) feels much more silky and smooth -- again not scientific in any way -- and what does silky and smooth mean, but? BTW, apparently people are using this stuff for the same purposes (as for me, my "coat" is just fine, thanks).

Oh, one last edit. Online, everyone was saying to use extra virgin oil. Wife just had bought some "standard organic," but not extra virgin stuff. Use what you want, but I don't think you have to go the extra virgin route -- or even organic (whew, wife would smack me for that!).

Last edited:
Since coconut oil is quite fatty and has a decent number of calories, make sure you're compensating adequately with her food in take so she doesn't gain weight (if she is already at an ideal body weight) if you continue to up the amount of coconut oil. Also, since it is high in fat, larger volumes of it on a daily basis could contribute to her developing something like pancreatitis, so just watch out for that. Hope she keeps feeling better!

I've actually applied coconut oil to a dog's dry skin topically to provide immediate relief to itching and it's helped. It's safe for them to lick after you apply, so one less thing to worry about.

It sounds like your dog might have allergies and what you might consider "dry" skin specially if flakly it most likely a skin infection. I am not saying that coconut oil is bad I know a lot of people that use it directly into the skin but I don't think it is ever a good idea to replace a vet visit with something you find online is like avoiding going to the doctor and just consulting web MD, hardly the same. If it was me I would want to know the cause of why it is happening.

It sounds like your dog might have allergies and what you might consider "dry" skin specially if flakly it most likely a skin infection. I am not saying that coconut oil is bad I know a lot of people that use it directly into the skin but I don't think it is ever a good idea to replace a vet visit with something you find online is like avoiding going to the doctor and just consulting web MD, hardly the same. If it was me I would want to know the cause of why it is happening.

I look at it this way. When I have dry flaky skin, which I have had at times, I do not go to my doctor right off the bat. I try some Lubriderm. It solves the problem (or at least it always has).

If Lubriderm solves the problem, I see no reason to visit the doctor. Sound reasonable? I am sure to some people it does not. It does to me.

Dog's problem seems cured and it only took six days. Indeed, I cut back to one teaspoon and may cutback to 3/4s or less. I may even quit in another week or so and see what happens.

There is always the possibility that there was some minor irritant that caused a temporary skin reaction -- like when I get my hands soaked in gasoline or bleach, or any other number of substances.

Heck, if there wasn't the whole issue of trying to get the coconut oil down through the thick coat of guard hairs and undercoat, I would have tried topical application of the oil.

Calorie-wise, it's an extra 30 calories or so per day, which I am not too worried about. Fat-wise, not sure I can speak intelligently about that, but, logically, it seems unlikely just a teaspoon a day of the oil would have any significant ill-effect on an active 120-pound dog.

This is a very active dog. Roams a 25-acre farm all day. After that gets a three-five mile hike each evening with me. So far, so good.

I like your idea! I use coconut oil for my old cat....keeps hairballs away!

We give our golden retriever coconut oil with every meal! Everyone comments about how soft his coat is. We find he has significantly less skin problems than our last golden retriever did (did not know about using coconut oil with him).

I look at it this way. When I have dry flaky skin, which I have had at times, I do not go to my doctor right off the bat. I try some Lubriderm. It solves the problem (or at least it always has).

If Lubriderm solves the problem, I see no reason to visit the doctor. Sound reasonable? I am sure to some people it does not. It does to me.

Dog's problem seems cured and it only took six days. Indeed, I cut back to one teaspoon and may cutback to 3/4s or less. I may even quit in another week or so and see what happens.

There is always the possibility that there was some minor irritant that caused a temporary skin reaction -- like when I get my hands soaked in gasoline or bleach, or any other number of substances.

Heck, if there wasn't the whole issue of trying to get the coconut oil down through the thick coat of guard hairs and undercoat, I would have tried topical application of the oil.

Calorie-wise, it's an extra 30 calories or so per day, which I am not too worried about. Fat-wise, not sure I can speak intelligently about that, but, logically, it seems unlikely just a teaspoon a day of the oil would have any significant ill-effect on an active 120-pound dog.

This is a very active dog. Roams a 25-acre farm all day. After that gets a three-five mile hike each evening with me. So far, so good.

For me there is a big difference of something temporary that just happend and I need to monitor than when I consider a vet visit. If I am considering a vet visit because it is that much of an issue then I would never replace it for something I read online. Specially considering the dog a a senior. And if it is a temporary irritant you should be able to stop the coconut oil.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter