Dog question - not eating

IF (and this is a big if) all possible physical problems have been ruled out (and I would definitely include teeth check), then I would:

1)exercise the dog more (long on leash walks are best), it will build hunger
2)make sure clean, fresh water is constantly available and is being consumed
3)make sure food is being given at a quiet time in a quiet environment (we have one dog who will only eat in his crate, where he feels "safe")
4)put food down with minimum of fuss at regularly scheduled times, give verbal cue (I sing the "Suppertime" song from the Charlie Brown musical, but you might now want to go that far :rotfl:), leave dog alone with food for X amount of minutes, pick up food at end of time, and do not offer again until the next regularly scheduled feeding time (I do 20 minutes, but it's up to you)
5)give absolutely no other food/treats/people scraps/etc

If you had a Whippet, I would worry, but I've never seen a skinny Pug :).

Good luck!

Terri
This is all solid advice and much of what I came here to reply with! We always do a sing-song of, "Whoooooooooooo's hungry?!" and that gets the attention. Dogs and even cats do really well with structured eating, walking, toileting so that's usually at least a place to start.

This is all solid advice and much of what I came here to reply with! We always do a sing-song of, "Whoooooooooooo's hungry?!" and that gets the attention. Dogs and even cats do really well with structured eating, walking, toileting so that's usually at least a place to start.

Glad to know I'm not the only one singing:rotfl:.

When DS was little, DH would say to me, "Stop using your dog training voice with our child!" It's true, though, that dog training and toddler training use many of the same principles....

Terri

All of these dog stories make me feel like I'm not alone with the food problems. My 3 rescue dogs (two dachshunds and a yorkie) used to be super picky until I went to a pet store and the lady told me to mix a little canned food with the dry. Worked the first time. I still give them a little dry in the morning, and dry mixed with a tablespoon or so of canned food for dinner. I imagine they do get bored with the same thing every day, so I change up the flavors of the canned food. Funny thing is, they wait in a "line" for their bowls to be put down and come in a certain order when I call their names! paw:paw:paw:

We give our dog a spoonful of yogurt (yes people yogurt) at his nighttime feeding. We started it to prevent "hotspots" on his skin. It has helped a lot, but he also loves it. It may be cheaper than canned food and it last about two weeks for one container.

Glad to know I'm not the only one singing:rotfl:.

When DS was little, DH would say to me, "Stop using your dog training voice with our child!" It's true, though, that dog training and toddler training use many of the same principles....

Terri

:rotfl2:
My 10 yr old did something the other day (I don't even remember what it was) and my response was "Good Boy"!!! in my super happy dog training voice. I didn't even realize I did it until he said "Please don't ever say that to me again. I'm not the dog":lmao:

And that's all I have to add to this thread, because I have a chocolate lab, and he would eat the entire contents of my fridge if allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter