Dog Question For My Dog Owning Friends…..(Update)

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
So,,,,my dog is almost 14yrs old (Yorkie) and is now being difficult with taking her pills.

I used to be able to hide her pill(s) in cheese, peanut butter & liver sausage and she would gobble it down. Now, she is refusing like she knows what I’m trying to do. We can get cheese out of the fridge and she’s there wanting a hand out, but if I put a pill with it she snubs it and walks away. Needless to say, this is getting frustrating. She’s deaf now, so I can’t even try to coax her to eat it with my voice.

If you have any suggestions, I’m open to hearing them.

Thanks! :dogdance:

I use pill pockets and all of my dogs take them with no problems. You could also try giving a piece or 2 of cheese with no pill and then a piece with the pill.

I’ve never heard of these.
I just looked them up and I will see if my local pet store has them.
Great advice!
Thank you!

Pill pockets are good. My dog doesn’t like them, though. Getting him to take pills is difficult. I just cut to the chase and put them in the back of his throat as gently as I can. Then I give him a treat afterwards. Thankfully he doesn’t take pills too often.

I have one dog that hates taking pills. I make them a small peanut butter and cheese sandwich. (1/4 size). I rip it into small pieces. The first piece or two i give them, does not have the pill in it. Give them pieces with pill and last bite or so with out pill.

I use pill wrap....same idea as pill pockets, but much cheaper. Also comes in different flavors like pill pockets. I own/operate a pet-sitting/dog-walking business and use this for my dogs and recommend to customers. As long as you keep the top on (to keep it from drying out)....it works great. And you can use as much as you need to cover the pills...which often come in much different sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-MD-Peanut-Butter-Flavored/dp/B081B8GB73

I’ve never been able to sneak pills in anything for my dog. She knows what I’m doing LOL
I have to just give them to her myself by putting them in her mouth myself. Treat after and its all good.

So,,,,my dog is almost 14yrs old (Yorkie) and is now being difficult with taking her pills.

I used to be able to hide her pill(s) in cheese, peanut butter & liver sausage and she would gobble it down. Now, she is refusing like she knows what I’m trying to do. We can get cheese out of the fridge and she’s there wanting a hand out, but if I put a pill with it she snubs it and walks away. Needless to say, this is getting frustrating. She’s deaf now, so I can’t even try to coax her to eat it with my voice.

If you have any suggestions, I’m open to hearing them.

Thanks! :dogdance:
Are you waiting until she's good and hungry to give her the pill?
I use pill pockets and all of my dogs take them with no problems. You could also try giving a piece or 2 of cheese with no pill and then a piece with the pill.
I was going to suggest this very thing: plain treat, plain treat -- boom!

Our yorkie won't take them hidden in food either. She is the most picky eater that walks the face of the earth, actually doesn't like peanut butter, eggs, processed cheese or even steak. She gets grilled chicken for breakfast and canned dog food for her lunch, which sometimes she will eat sometimes not. We try though because the chicken doesn't have all the nutrients she needs. We have to crush up pills and sprinkle them on bacon (her favorite food) or just stuff them down her throat. She won't even eat dog treats, the only treats she will eat are little turkey slim jim type ones and those we have to cut up real small.

Reactions: slo
My vet always told me to put the pill in the 3rd piece of cheese, lunch meat, etc. Your dog will be suspicious of piece number one, so if that one is OK, they are less suspicious of the following pieces. Works like a charm.

When I need to give a pill to my son‘s French bulldog, I use deli ham. He loves it.

My dog liked pills in cheese. When that stopped working I’d put the pill in his mouth and kind of hold it closed and rub his throat. That would make him swallow it. I read that somewhere. It worked.

I have a cat but yes I use pill pockets.
I get them from my vet.
I wish I knew about them with my other cats.
With my one cat we used to crush it and mix it with some water and put it in a baby syringe and wrap him in a towel and essntially force it down his throat.
Felt horrible but had to be done.

If your dog will eat cheese if you hand it to him out of the fridge then maybe prepare a pill and let it sit in the fridge and then act like its just a normal piece of cheese when you take it out lol.

Animals do know when something is up so you really gotta try to act natural haha.

I’ve never heard of these.
I just looked them up and I will see if my local pet store has them.
Great advice!
Thank you!

I use pill pockets for my wheaten terrier that sounds just like your yorkie about not being fooled about the cheese, etc.

Gidget gobbles up the pill pockets. No problem and they come in different flavors. Have bought them at PetSmart and Chewy.com.

A piece of hot dog or lunch meat also works well for those that don't want pill pockets or cheese. I've also had pretty good luck with peanut butter.

Giving the dog pills was disaster even if I chopped them up. Wrapped in cheese, peanut butter, anything she would somehow push it out and eat the rest.

How did she finally start taking? We got another dog and she was not going to let him eat something she wasn't eating. She'd gobble the cheese so fast that it was gone.

But that is a big commitment for taking pills. :rotfl:

Our dog usually has dry dog food, but for one meal we add in a spoonful of wet dog food and mix it all together along with her pill. The pill is concealed in the wet food and it all sticks to the dry kibble. She inhales everything together and doesn’t even notice the pill!

We have a senior dog on quite a few medications and pill pockets work like a charm! I found a Milk Bone brand at Target that are just as good and quite a bit cheaper than the ones at the pet store. They are chicken flavor and she loves them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter