• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog Food

I feed Purina Pro-Plan Sport Performance 30/20 formula and Fromm Adult Gold (half and half). Congrats on your new pup! Have had great results on both systems with both my girls (a golden retriever and a shih tzu)

Sorry but I would never buy anything made by Purina, unless I had absolutely no other choice.

My 2 dogs are on Wellness Healthy Weight. I don't find $50 for a large bag of dog food expensive.

I have 8 dogs (4 danes, 3 dachshunds, and a mix) and feed 4health brand from tractor supply. All of my dogs do great on it and it is relatively inexpensive.

We use Taste of The Wild for our two Chinese Crested pups and have had excellent results so far. I'm not sure what we'll do if they show signs of no interest. I suppose changing the flavor might give you good results. That's probably what I would do first.

We use blue buffalo. My dog Hobbes is Diabetic so we can't really go with the cheaper stuff.

I was the original OP when I posted last year. Our "Minnie Mouse" miniature Golden doodle is a year old and she is the light of our lives. She was pretty picky about her food on and off over this last year. So currently have settled on IAMS bite sized in the green bag. We are on a very tight budget so that works for us now.

Just wanted to mention Amazon carries Diamond Naturals for around $30/40lbs. It was nice to get the huge bag of dog food delivered in the winter while pregnant.

Minnie Mouse sounds cute! IAMS should be fine! Our one year old Havanese eats IAMS too. We were looking at switching her to a different, possibly better brand when she became an adult as I know some of the reviews on IAMS aren't that great and asked our vet about it. Our vet told us there was no reason to switch her from Iams if she liked it and was not having any issues on it, that there was nothing wrong with Iams and most of the the dogs that she sees that eat it don't have any issues. Our vet told us if we do switch her she would not switch her to Blue Buffalo (which is funny because that was one of the brands we were considering, even though we had not mentioned it). She said she sees more dogs with gastro-intestinal issues that eat Blue Buffalo than most other dog food brands. She said it is a trendy brand that people think must be good because of the high price, but that she sees a lot of issues with dogs that have it as their diet, and that a lot of those issues resolve after she has had people switch the dogs to some other food. She said she would not take a dog that was doing absolutely fine on a current food and switch them over to Blue Buffalo. She said there is nothing wrong with foods like Iams or Science Diet if a dog is eating it, likes it, and appears healthy.

Last edited:
I started reading through this thread because my DH almost died of shock yesterday when I sent him to buy dog food and he learned just how much the Acana brand we use costs.

After seeing the earlier two posts about Acana, I'm going to go back to fighting with him about it. Like the earlier reports, our BC has the shiniest, softest, most lush coat I've ever seen on a dog. We regularly get stopped on the street by people commenting on it. I think there are lots of good foods out there but we definitely aren't switching.

:dog:

Our Cavalier eats a raw diet (Stella and Chewy's) but I do sprinkle in a little Royal Canin. We got a huge bag on Amazon for really cheap. I don't think we'll run out until 2016.

I buy my dog Blue Buffalo grain free because she has issues with her stomach. Its more than I like to spend but I order from chewy.com and can get pretty good deals, they just sent me a $15 off coupon so I was able to get a 24lb bag what it normally costs me to get an 11lb locally.

Our Cavalier eats a raw diet (Stella and Chewy's) but I do sprinkle in a little Royal Canin. We got a huge bag on Amazon for really cheap. I don't think we'll run out until 2016.
I have Cavaliers too! The one is on blue buffalo grain free puppy (that's what the breeder used) and my other one is on dr. Tim's grain free chicken.

I have Cavaliers too! The one is on blue buffalo grain free puppy (that's what the breeder used) and my other one is on dr. Tim's grain free chicken.

What kind do you have? Ours is tri color! :)

image.jpg

On the left is our Rustle who is an 8 year old Blenheim. The new boy is a Black and Tan and he's 12 weeks old!
(Rustle is NOT at all happy about the new puppy! I'm not sure how we even managed to get them together!)

View attachment 101896

On the left is our Rustle who is an 8 year old Blenheim. The new boy is a Black and Tan and he's 12 weeks old!
(Rustle is NOT at all happy about the new puppy! I'm not sure how we even managed to get them together!)

So beautiful! Your Bleinheim is so healthy looking! May I ask did you neuter him, and if so how long did you wait? I am told if you wait after one year their appearance is nicer because they have the chance to fully develop before the surgery.

Peanut only gets blue buffalo but we add some flax seed oil to it and mix it up since she has allergies and it helps her a lot.

We also make her home made biscuits that's packed with vitamins

I use Orijen Large Breed Puppy and add fish oil to each of her meals. Definitely google dog food advisor. This is my first dog and it helps to know what you are feeding quality wise. I wanted to go with the Costco brand but it had too many recalls for me to be comfortable with it.

So beautiful! Your Bleinheim is so healthy looking! May I ask did you neuter him, and if so how long did you wait? I am told if you wait after one year their appearance is nicer because they have the chance to fully develop before the surgery.
Thank you!
Our Rusle is on the large side (and a little chunky at the moment because he's been getting extra treats and attention so he's not feeling left out because of the new puppy). He's normally around 24-25 lbs. We neutered him at 6 months because my son suffered a ski lift accident when he was 13. He's fine now - but it was several surgeries etc and Rustle would go up to his room and mark around his bed for some reason. So we neutered him then and it stopped. I do think he is a larger dog because of that - and so does the breeder. I'd like to wait until a year if I can with Jack.
I do get a lot of compliments on what a good looking Blenheim he is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thank you!
Our Rusle is on the large side (and a little chunky at the moment because he's been getting extra treats and attention so he's not feeling left out because of the new puppy). He's normally around 24-25 lbs. We neutered him at 6 months because my son suffered a ski lift accident when he was 13. He's fine now - but it was several surgeries etc and Rustle would go up to his room and mark around his bed for some reason. So we neutered him then and it stopped. I do think he is a larger dog because of that - and so does the breeder. I'd like to wait until a year if I can with Jack.
I do get a lot of compliments on what a good looking Blenheim he is!

No doubt about it both of them are beautiful! You must get approached a lot when you have them out.

Does anybody have any experience with the Canidae brand? We just started using their grain-free food for our dachshund. I researched a little and found out that this brand is supposed to be particularly good for skin issues. He tends to get that nice nacho-cheese smell (lovely!) and our vet told us it is due to yeast, and to look for a good grain-free good. I'm hoping this new brand can help. After manufacturer and store coupons I was able to get the huge bag for $48 which seemed like a pretty good price, based on their regular price. He only gets 1 cup spread out through the day so the bag lasts a really long time, which helps with the initial sticker shock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter