Does your eligible teen have their Drivers' License?

Does your eligible teen have a DL?

• No

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Currently working on one

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Has one

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
This is prompted by a story on the Today show this morning (https://www.today.com/parents/teens/covid-anxiety-teens-drivers-license-rcna43477).

According to a poll in the story, only 25% of 16yo have their DL in 2021 compared to 43% in 1995. They correctly point out the advent of ride share has cut down on the need for a DL, but say the drop off is also evident in rural communities (and then talk to two twenty year olds... one in NYC and one in Seattle).

My three kids all got their DLs as soon as they could (DS was slightly delayed because he couldn't get an appointment during covid shutdowns).

Two 17 year olds that have zero interest in driving. My 17 old nephew doesn’t have any interest either.

We have a graduated licensing system here, so it takes some time to get a full license. Both my teens got there G1 license (a written test) on their 16th birthday.

My boys both got their licenses pretty quickly after they turned 16. My younger son's best friend has never gotten his license yet (they're seniors in HS). Not exactly sure his reason, but it makes for a hassle for his friends. My son, another one of their friends or the kid's girlfriend always have to pick him up whenever they're going somewhere. My son drives him to school every day (fortunately, he lives along the way to school, so it's not out of his way).

Graduated licenses here as well. My 17 year old got his learner's a few months after he turned 16 and took lessons but he really has very little interest in going for his novice license.

I don't have kids, but I didn't get my license until I was 23. I went away to college and would not have had a car there, anyway, so it wasn't a big deal most of the time.

My boys both got their licenses pretty quickly after they turned 16. My younger son's best friend has never gotten his license yet (they're seniors in HS). Not exactly sure his reason, but it makes for a hassle for his friends. My son, another one of their friends or the kid's girlfriend always have to pick him up whenever they're going somewhere. My son drives him to school every day (fortunately, he lives along the way to school, so it's not out of his way).
DD turned 16 in February 20222. One of her best friends turned 16 in Jan 2022. For her 16th birthday, her parents got her a car (DD was at the party, and when I picked her up, I was there for the "reveal").

We also have a graduated license, so DD went from permit to "intermediate" in September(?) 2022. At that point, her friend still had her permit. We were able to get DD a car, so DD drove this girl back/forth to school (on the way, so no big deal) until last month(?).

I saw this too on the Today Show and it caught me attention. My daughter got her permit as 16 and license months after turning 17 (too many months for me). She was not really interested in getting her license. But, it was to our insistence. We felt she should get her license to be more independent and have a source of ID. She has a car too but hardly ever drives, never by herself. Her friends sister who is in college has a license and car but never drives, says she Ubers everywhere.

Our oldest didn't want to drive when he turned 16. And I didn't push because I didn't want a reluctant driver. Ended up needing to commute 30 minutes each way to college and got his license a couple days before classes started. It was an unnecessarily stressful time. Should have pushed him sooner.

Around her some don't encourage their kids because they don't want to have to pay for an additional insured driver (an expensive one at that).

Our other 2 got their permits on their 15th birthdays so they could get licenses on their 16th birthdays. If I recall, I think they had to have their permits for a year first.

DD turned 16 in February 20222. One of her best friends turned 16 in Jan 2022. For her 16th birthday, her parents got her a car (DD was at the party, and when I picked her up, I was there for the "reveal").

We also have a graduated license, so DD went from permit to "intermediate" in September(?) 2022. At that point, her friend still had her permit. We were able to get DD a car, so DD drove this girl back/forth to school (on the way, so no big deal) until last month(?).
From what I understand, his friend has had a permit once or twice at this point (they expire after 6 months), he just hasn't done the in car instruction or taken the driving test yet, for some reason.

One has the other one is in the process. Both started at age 15.

I don't care if they have an interest or not - it's a life skill same with swimming lessons and was non negotiable. I don't care if they choose not to own a vehicle as adults. Having that license may be good in an emergency, on vacation, driving their old mom to appointments in her later years.....whatever. Better to have it then not.

My son didn’t rush out to get his. Can’t remember exactly but it was maybe a year later. My daughter got or should I say wanted to get hers right away. She failed her first road test so it took her awhile :scared:

My son got his permit as soon as he turned 14 and his license at 15 as soon as he could (had to have permit for a year and take drivers ed) It’s strange to think that he’s been driving for almost 5 years already. I personally didn’t get mine until I was 17.5 (back then you could get them at 14 in North Dakota)

There was a recent article (although the findings aren't really recent) about the discussion of life experience milestones.

The biggest factor in lack of interest in driving was the push to increase the DL ages by states at the urging of various entities. My state was actually mentioned in the article as one of them. For example as an agriculture state the permit age was low and farm permits could be obtained. Permits started at age 14 with a full license at age 16, if older than 16 no driving requirements (such as the 50 hours with 10 being night) needed. Now it's a graduated system with 17 being the full license age.

That combined with lack of funds by ways of jobs and incomes to obtain vehicles combined with parents not necessarily pushing it combined with kids not seeing getting out and driving around as a big milestone anymore has steadily been decreasing the number of DLs held by the youth of today.

I didn't get my license until I was 17 even though I had held a permit since age 15 (actually used to get on a cruise) because I didn't have the funds for a car. I got a license when I knew I would be purchasing my car. But back then 17 was sorta old to get a license. Now state rules are you can't get a non-restricted license until age 17.

Our 4 kids got their licenses as soon as they were of age.

My brother's daughters did not. They are the ages of 2 of my kids. One was in college and needing to get to and from nursing clinicals, so she had to learn to drive and get a care.

The other can drive, but does not.

I noticed that several of my now 21 year old's friends did not drive as soon as they turned of age.

We do not live in an area with public transportation.

We delayed letting our son get his license, but he did get it at age 18.5, just a couple months ago. The factors involved in the decision were:

1. Maturity. He has autism/ADHD and wasn't mentally ready for the responsibility of operating a car at 15 (when he would have started the permit process)

2. Driving school requirements in our state (CA). If you want a license at 16, driver's education and professional behind the wheel training is required. Our son doesn't learn well from strangers and has some behaviors that would preclude group driving lessons. I needed to be the one to teach him. If you wait to obtain your permit until after age 17.5, the driver education requirement drops off and any licensed driver can teach you. We still made him complete online drivers education, even though he didn't
have to.

3. Insurance rates. Rates are SKY HIGH for under 18 teen, male drivers. We were quoted $320/month just to add our son to our policy (on a 2007 car) when he was 16. No thank you. When he got his license at 18, the price was a more reasonable $155/month.

4. No job. No social hangouts. No need for a car at 16. He's a MAJOR introvert and has no desire to go out socially. He was not developmentally ready for a job either at 16.

It worked out well. He is a wonderful driver and we did it slowly and in his own time. Next step is to get a job which he is working towards. He has a lot of money saved up and he contributes 2/3 of his insurance premium every month.

My boys are 22 and 18. Neither wanted a license, but I feel it is a necessary skill. 22 yr old now wonders what he was thinking when he was younger, can’t imagine not having it. 18 yr old has had it for 2 years, but refused to drive alone. We drove weekly with him for 2 years after he got his license to keep the skills. He finally got a job this week and has driven himself to and from work alone! (He is a good driver, just has anxiety issues, hence no job until 18) It has been a process, but worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter