Does Santa get all the glory in your house?

My kids are older now, but when they were younger Santa got all the glory. Clothes were from us, everything else was from Santa. Santa wraps everything. When I was a kid toys were unwrapped.

For us it didn't have anything to do with glory or credit, it was simply a choice to minimize Santa while still having the tradition. Santa filled the stockings and brought one wrapped fun gift that he set next to the fireplace in the family room. The rest of the presents accumulated under the tree in the living room. By the time the kids were old enough to CARE who brought the gifts, they understood the ins and outs of Santa.

When my kids were young, it never crossed my mind not to put "from Santa" on all the gifts. It never occurred to me to let my kids know I got the presents. There was always one present on Christmas Eve, it probably said from Santa too (but looking back, I have no idea how I explained that). All gifts were wrapped because I enjoyed watching them unwrap and see what's inside.

We buy the kids a pair of PJs and one gift-- sometimes it's big (like the year they got the Wii-- that way it made sense when the aunts and uncles gave Wii games on Christmas Eve.) They get those gifts when we exchange as a family on Christmas Eve afternoon-- that way the small gifts they used to get each other from the Dollar Store weren't overshadowed by the larger Santa gifts. Sometimes our gift is large, sometime small and Santa gets the big stuff-- like the year all 3 got tablets.

I wanted the kids to get one gift from us-- they saw us buying for everyone else, so of course they would get something from us. But Santa got most of the glory. And that was OK-- they love us anyway.

And Santa wraps in my house. Today is a Catholic Holy Day, so my husband and I are off while the girls have school. Today is official Wrapping Day in my house; I'll start as soon as I drop the girls off at 7.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, Santa brought everything. Looking back I wonder why I didn't question why my mom didn't get me any gifts for Christmas. I was a pretty perceptive kid, but I guess the Magic kept me from questioning.

Although I totally believed in Santa, I didn't believe in The Whole "elves making the toys thing" because I saw the toys I had gotten for Christmas at K-Mart, so I was convinced that Santa shopped at department stores.

Christmas is an important religious celebration for us (and all glory goes to God) so while we never excluded Santa, we also never encorporated the "magic of Christmas" into our gift-giving. We downplayed the whole "what do I want for Christmas" thing; I don't think DS ever wrote a letter to Santa or made a list of any kind. I also don't remember him ever going through the "Santa isn't real" angst - :santa: hopefully at age 20 he knows by now! ;)

Santa brings all of the presents here. He always has and always will. It's easier to just have everything come from santa, and I love that the kids go to bed Christmas Eve to nothing under the tree, and wake up Christmas morning to a load of presents. Theyre 18 and 23 now, and Christmas morning is still exciting and fun and magical for them.

We don't do Santa presents at all. All presents come from family or friends. growing up, we never did Santa and Christmas was centered around religion such as reading the Christmas Story from the Bible before opening presents etc. my husband and I aren't really religious but we decided to not make Santa a big part of our celebrations. we do pictures with Santa but that is really all. I do put out all the presents late Christmas eve so the kids walk out and see the tree full of presents Christmas morning. I love seeing the wonder and excitement on their faces. I make sure that my kids know not to tell other children that Santa isn't a real person. I tell my kids that Santa represents the spirit of giving and that is why so many families like to play the Santa game. so in my house, Santa gets no credit.

When they were little, Santa brought presents and the kids also got presents from us.

Even after certain things were discovered, the kids still let us know they wanted Santa to bring some of their stuff.

By the time they were teenagers we kind of got away from that.

It is half and half here. The kids get presents from both us and Santa. Both of them still believe. I can't believe DD10 (nearly 11) still does but she does. I am not longer trying very hard to cover it up, just enough so DD6 still buys into it.

I thought for sure last year that DD10 had figured it out. We had a transportation issue with their big gift from Santa and it ended up living in my SILs car for a few days until I could get it without the kids seeing it. My niece told DD10 it had been in their car and DD10 commented that that gift was from us not Santa but she still didn't put two and two together even though that was the only gift from Santa that year. She commented a few years ago that after they got too old to get presents from Santa she didn't want me to write from Santa on any of the tags like my mom does. She knows it is my mom's handwriting on the tags and knows they are from her and not Santa but hasn't made the leap to our house yet.

Santa gets all of the glory....we give them a couple smaller things, but Santa leaves the big jackpot with more presents than kids need and basically everything they ask for! I'm an only child and can honestly say I was not spoiled by my parents in daily life, but on xmas Santa left me everything I wanted and more as a kid. Christmas morning memories are like my Disney trip memories, some of the best parts of my childhood. My boys are only little once so I'm gonna let Santa spoil them one day a year....and for me seeing them xmas morning is worth all the money that gets spent. We aren't religious so Christmas magic is about Santa and Christmas morning surprises....oh yeah and time with family and all of that, but to 6 and 8 year olds it's all about Santa, lol.

Last edited:
Jesus gets the glory, He is the whole reason we celebrate Christmas, Then Santa.

I think it's pretty obvious that this discussion is about who the giver is listed as on gift tags, not the "reason we celebrate Christmas." Christmas has pagan roots, and many people who aren't religious celebrate the holiday. While Jesus may be YOUR whole reason, that isn't the case for everyone.

So, given that this was not a religious discussion, since that isn't allowed on the Dis anyway, I don't understand your point in posting the above. Unless, of course, you write Jesus on the gift cards?

The family gives the gifts that are opened at our annual party on Christmas Eve. But Santa brings the gifts that are opened on Christmas Day!

To answer the OP, when the kids were little, Santa did the stockings and some gifts, others were from us. Big stuff was usually from the man in red, but there wasn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason as to which were which. Everything but stocking gifts were wrapped, though, because I love to wrap. I always had different paper for Santa's gifts, though!

Oh, and there is always a gift from Santa Mouse, wrapped in a yellow bow, on the tree for both of our kids. Who else remembers / has that picture book?

I think it's pretty obvious that this discussion is about who the giver is listed as on gift tags, not the "reason we celebrate Christmas." Christmas has pagan roots, and many people who aren't religious celebrate the holiday. While Jesus may be YOUR whole reason, that isn't the case for everyone.

So, given that this was not a religious discussion, since that isn't allowed on the Dis anyway, I don't understand your point in posting the above. Unless, of course, you write Jesus on the gift cards?

OT and not to get too religious but on Facebook the other day I saw a meme that said something about wanting to put Christ back in Christmas and had a picture of Santa. That's a facepalm moment right there.

Santa leaves one or two presents for our boys, wrapped in plain brown paper and tied with twine. They get the rest of the presents from us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter