Does Disney care less about DVC members now?

DavidRoss

Mouseketeer
I have been a member since 1999. In the last couple years I have seen and read things about Disney targeting first time visitors at the expense of long time fans. I have to say that I agree with these statements as of late. I love our stays at DVC resorts but have little interest in going to the parks or spending so much at Disney anymore. I feel my membership has lost the magic it once had. I wish I could get that feeling back.

With the theme being removed from so many of the Disney and DVC resorts during refurbs, the constant money grabs and being required to constantly be looking at a smartphone for planning and navigating a trip to a park, it seems like you have to spend so much and work so hard and plan so much to just visit a park both before you go and while you are there. I remember the days when I could use my phone to take pictures and tuck it back in my pocket. It wasn't required that I have to live my vacation through my phone.

What has happened?
Does anyone else feel this way? What have you done to get the magic back in your Disney vacations?

I have been a member since 1999. In the last couple years I have seen and read things about Disney targeting first time visitors at the expense of long time fans. I have to say that I agree with these statements as of late. I love our stays at DVC resorts but have little interest in going to the parks or spending so much at Disney anymore. I feel my membership has lost the magic it once had. I wish I could get that feeling back.

With the theme being removed from so many of the Disney and DVC resorts during refurbs, the constant money grabs and being required to constantly be looking at a smartphone for planning and navigating a trip to a park, it seems like you have to spend so much and work so hard and plan so much to just visit a park both before you go and while you are there. I remember the days when I could use my phone to take pictures and tuck it back in my pocket. It wasn't required that I have to live my vacation through my phone.

What has happened?
Does anyone else feel this way? What have you done to get the magic back in your Disney vacations?
Yes. Completely agree. We now stay at dvc and go to Universal. Many old Disney employees have moved to universal too. Disney employees have been leaving since covid. Disney’s covid response and policies were very negative for employees. We find Disney depressing now. Hoping there will be a reversal with disney at some point but we do think it will take them smashing into a wall. They have really worked themselves into a very strange position. Not many companies actually try to get rid of customers. But Disney has. It’s almost like they are annoyed that they haven’t lost more customers. Lol.

Thanks for the earworm LOL:

"I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it.
I don't know where we went wrong,
But the feelin's gone
And I just can't get it back!"

From Gordon Lightfoot's " If You Could Read My Mind"

We just plan more non-park things to do. We are fortunate to still have APs, so we concentrate on the entertainment or the attractions that have short waits. I will not buy Genie+ or ILL more than once if we can't get on a new attraction via virtual queue. We are older now and do not travel with children, so the thrill rides have very little appeal to us.

Thanks for the earworm LOL:

"I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it.
I don't know where we went wrong,
But the feelin's gone
And I just can't get it back!"

From Gordon Lightfoot's " If You Could Read My Mind"

We just plan more non-park things to do. We are fortunate to still have APs, so we concentrate on the entertainment or the attractions that have short waits. I will not buy Genie+ or ILL more than once if we can't get on a new attraction via virtual queue. We are older now and do not travel with children, so the thrill rides have very little appeal to us.
Well, now you have that in my head! I wasn't thinking about it until you wrote. AHHHHHH

In the past We use to be able to pick 3 FP, pick times we like and sit at the resort till later that morning and then head to that park. Go back to the pool and later go to another park.Now we have to get up around 6am to get ready to get to a rope drop with the GChildren, then race to a ride and never get on with the Gkids because they are much faster and get in line before us. We are not ones to but up to be with the GKs. Very seldom did I ride with the GKs this past OCT trip. We are in our 7o's and can't run like the GKs. All 3 mornings last OCT on our trip we were at 3 different parks before rope drop but so were 1,000's of other guests. When they let the rope down I looked back at the crowd and it reminded me of a European Soccer match championship . If you fell down (too bad).

You are not wrong. We have been DVC since 2008 and have seen things change for the worse in so many ways. From the loss of FP, to the loss of Magical Express, to not being able to buy AP's it's just not what it used to be.
When I have had to call MS, they have not been helpful at all and hold times have been in the 30-45 minute range.
I think it's really petty how they decided to give different perks to members based on whether they bought from Disney or resale.
They just had Tron previews, and only gave DVC members 3 half days of previews.
Also - we own points at HHI resort and Disney fired their long time perfomer, Blue Crabbe (along with Shadow the dog), who was absolutely wonderful and made our vacations there extra special. Yep, Disney fired the dog who was the MASCOT of the HHI resort! :sad2:
So yea, you are not wrong.

Things have changed over the years with WDW but for us, the aspects of DVC are still the same for us, and to be honest, having DVC has made our Disney trips a lot more relaxing then they once were.

I think that the cost increases for a Disney trip have made us do things we didn't do before...more snacks in the room and our owner's locker which holds our adult beverages so that we are not buying as many throughout the day at the pool, or in the parks.

But, we still find it enjoyable and worth having DVC for our visits

I am a new dvc member and never had the chance to buy an annual pass but was planning to and my guide implied they would be back soon(this was in June). We have gone a few times since then and my 4 year old can’t handle more than a few hours at a time at the parks so I learned my lesson to stop buying tickets for him and my husband doesn’t care much for theme parks so he’s fine with not going. My 9 year old and I get a 1 day hopper and go from opening to close(the other day we did 8am-1am) and even though it’s definitely not as enjoyable as getting to come and go freely we can still enjoy the parks every few months and do a ton of rides with Genie at multiple parks.

That being said we do love having DVC, it’s so nice getting out of the cold and just being on the property. We fill up our cooler with drinks/snacks (that we store in the owners locker) and hang out by the pool all day, have a nice dinner, resort hop and take rides on the monorail and sky liner. My kids love the activities at the resorts and watching the fireworks from wherever we are. Disney springs is great too, the bowling and mini golf is fun and we always have a nice, relaxing trip. I may consider getting a universal studios AP but the resort only stays are really growing on me and we don’t spend that much money when we are there with DVC. Why would I buy more ears/magic bands and other merch if I am only going into the parks a few times a year? I am hopeful they bring back AP’s and they should as they would get a lot more money out of me and many other DVC members.

A little off topic but one thing I find interesting is how much they comp these influencers(and if they are too critical the influencers lose these perks) who are at the parks everyday who focus on the new snacks and obscure things that only pass holders and super fans care about but Disney doesn’t want more pass holders or super fans. It just seems like mixed signals from Disney. Because the family that comes every 5 years doesn’t care about name of the fireworks show or a rare popcorn bucket. I honestly don’t think Disney knows what they want at this point.

We are new DVC members who bought direct for DVC perks, and after they only gave DVC members 3 (random!) days for Tron previews (APs got many more slots and even D23 members got a chance at a time they could plan for in advance!), I really get the sense that Disney doesn’t have much loyalty to their fans who have made huge commitments to the company buying into DVC.

We have nothing but positive things to say. Two calls into MS lately and they were awesome!!! Our past trip all the restaurants asked us about the dining discount, not the other way around. We felt appreciated and loved our experience. With the increase in price we have ventured into other things Disney has to offer such as Dive Quest, RunDisney, After Hours Parties, Disney Springs, hanging at the pool, etc. If the passes don’t return that’s okay we may spend time at other places around Orlando such as Universal, Sea World, etc.

We have nothing but positive things to say. Two calls into MS lately and they were awesome!!! Our past trip all the restaurants asked us about the dining discount, not the other way around. We felt appreciated and loved our experience. With the increase in price we have ventured into other things Disney has to offer such as Dive Quest, RunDisney, After Hours Parties, Disney Springs, hanging at the pool, etc. If the passes don’t return that’s okay we may spend time at other places around Orlando such as Universal, Sea World, etc.
MS in general is always awesome! We have usually found MS tries their best to help us and are usually very anxious to ensure our needs are met to the best of their abilities.On our recent trip, NONE of the many restaurants we ate at asked about discounts, although we felt most of the service was great otherwise lol. I think the OP was referring to Disney as a whole which I do agree has not shown a whole lot of love for DVC members lately.

IMHO:
For those that find the "changes" too much to deal with, sell your DVC and enjoy your profits.
Guess what, more changes are coming. If you did not understand the product and what you were getting into when you bought in, then that is on you. Disney is a for profit company and they will ALWAYS do what they must for the bottom line.
I have seen changes to:
point charts
benefits
passes
options for using points
costs
and many other things since '93.
I still find going anywhere from one night to more than 2 weeks as magical. If you have:
Lost that loving feeling. From You Lost that Loving Feeling.
Then say so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good night. From Sound of Music.

We are new DVC members who bought direct for DVC perks, and after they only gave DVC members 3 (random!) days for Tron previews (APs got many more slots and even D23 members got a chance at a time they could plan for in advance!), I really get the sense that Disney doesn’t have much loyalty to their fans who have made huge commitments to the company buying into DVC.
You should NEVER buy for perks. If they did not explain that to you, you should have spent a bit more time reading the documentation. Perks can and will change. Perks are never guaranteed. I am sorry to say, if you purchased direct for perks, you might want to look to sell out.

With the theme being removed from so many of the Disney and DVC resorts during refurbs,
I have to say - I have read about this, but have yet to experience it. However, my stays over the past few years have been largely confined to AKV, BLT, SSR, and OKW.

the constant money grabs and being required to constantly be looking at a smartphone for planning and navigating a trip to a park, it seems like you have to spend so much and work so hard and plan so much to just visit a park both before you go and while you are there. I remember the days when I could use my phone to take pictures and tuck it back in my pocket. It wasn't required that I have to live my vacation through my phone.

to be fair - these changes are not really aimed at short term fans over DVC, or long term fans. These are just changes. During the FP+ days, cell phones were still part of our daily lives. You even needed them to route and plan for FP tickets, or you were on them wildly if you choose to participate in the refresh method (personally, I did not). I think a lot of the drive to cell phone has been the fault of WDW's success. The parks have gotten so crowded now that you can not just wander the park and go on whatever ride you want and if you hope to eat anywhere other than QS, you better be good at booking and have a little luck. These are again not aimed at a particular class of people - they are the result of park crowded.

It's a touch place to be. If Disney raises the prices too high, they get yelled at for price gouging (even you reference it above). On the other hand, if they do not, the parks get crowded and they get yelled at for not being able to be spontaneous. I have to admit, it's not a problem that I have a solution to and I am not surprised they do not either. Short of the invention of a space-time-warp machine, different realities, or dimensional-shifts, I am not sure how they could solve some of these problems.

Change is inevitable.
af2a3972-a465-4a7d-b2a4-c2671ff58b70_text.gif

The move to cellular devices was going to happen... any sufficiently broad new technology that invades on everyday life will invade on Disney as younger generations enter the mainstream demographics and are always the first to adopt new technology. Airports use cell phones now to ticketing as much as paper tickets if not more. Movie theaters use cell phones. Heck, at my local Walmart, if you use Scan and Go, you save a ton of time compared to others who do not. One could make the same argument about any of these businesses or locales. There are so many things in our daily lives now that if you call customer service, the response is just as likely to be "We have an app for that - have you tried using it?". You could make the argument that mobile pay has pushed out the older check writers, and you would be right. They have even taken over vacations (mobile technology is increasingly necessary on cruise ships, too).

I feel that my Disney vacations have changed - but I do not blame Disney for the change. I blame the changing face of society. I do not see these as preferring short term or first time over long term or returning customers and certainly not a slap at DVC. As I said above, change in inevitable and the invasion of technology is, too.

What do I do to preserve the magic? FOR ME (and this is going to be different for everyone), I find great joy in finding something new to do every time I am at Disney. They may or may not be in the parks. Sometimes, it's a restaurant I have never done before. Sometimes, it's an experience (like a fireworks cruise). Sometimes, it's just searching for hidden mickeys or doing a monorail crawl or exploring. There is always something to do that I have personally not done.

I have my must do's at the parks, and I will always do those - but more and more I look forward to having shorter days at the parks where I can do my best to avoid some of the over-crowding and focus on something I have never done before.

I also try to embrace new technology as much as possible and learn to use it to my advantage. As I mentioned, in my daily life, it's almost like you have to - even if you are on vacation.

I think this is cyclical - we will see some love when they need us to fill the parks. For now Orlando has many other things to do besides the parks and if we all cut down our park days they will notice. Just look at how fast MM fills up, we are a significant population.

We have been DVC members since 1999. For us it is not so much that DVC has changed, it is the parks. The rediculous over crowding even though you need a reservation for the parks. The changes to park hopping. The changes from Fast Pass to Genie and having to get online at 7:00 am along with everyone else in the park to get reservations for certain attractions.

Price increases are inevitable but are hard to swallow with the decline in customer service, overcrowding, more limited restaurant menus, etc. There are articles written in newspapers, magazines, etc. that you can find online talking about how Disney does not care about legacy customers and is only interested in attracting new customers. New customers don't no any different. These comments are coming from Disney executives. There are also many comments on these boards discussing the changes and the dissatisfaction regarding the changes.

I have DVC friends that have decided they are never going back and have decided to either sell or give DVC to their children.

I do not believe most people who purchased DVC didn't know what they were getting into. Everyone expects that there will be changes over time. But Disney executive comments and the changes to the parks just shows that Disney has lost it's way. In our opinion the customer service as well as how guests were treated is what set Disney apart. Disney has lost its vision. In our opinion Disney was always different in a better way. Today they feel like any other amusement park thanks to the changes implemented by executives that were only interested in finding ways to cut services and charge more. At least in the past it was never assumed that Disney wasn't expensive but you felt like you got more value for your money. No one should have expected that!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter