Does Cosmic Ray's always have CM-directed seating?

karly05

DIS Veteran - "I found the Snipe!"
If so, then I have found my new favorite MK counter service.

I had heard about CS places sometimes having CMs directing you to tables in the dining area and not allowing people to sit until they have their food and their party is all there, but I had not experienced this until I ate lunch at Cosmic Ray's on 2/11. It was a "low crowd" day, so I'm wondering if they're doing this all the time there.

I know there are families for whom this is a pain, but as a solo diner, I LOVE IT! I feel awkward sometimes looking for a CS table, especially since there don't seem to be a lot of 2-tops and I feel like I'm taking up too much space. The young man CM working the door was pleasant and efficient (I was seated near the door and got to watch him "work" the dining room), and I wasn't aware of anyone being upset by the system. (There is still open seating outdoors.)

Oh, and I enjoyed the tortellini pasta salad; it was a nice, lighter option for lunch.

I like it too! I eat there a somewhat often, they only seem to do it when it's busy.

I had heard about CS places sometimes having CMs directing you to tables in the dining area and not allowing people to sit until they have their food and their party is all there, but I had not experienced this until I ate lunch at Cosmic Ray's on 2/11. It was a "low crowd" day, so I'm wondering if they're doing this all the time there.

I know there are families for whom this is a pain, but as a solo diner, I LOVE IT! I feel awkward sometimes looking for a CS table, especially since there don't seem to be a lot of 2-tops and I feel like I'm taking up too much space. The young man CM working the door was pleasant and efficient (I was seated near the door and got to watch him "work" the dining room), and I wasn't aware of anyone being upset by the system. (There is still open seating outdoors.)

Oh, and I enjoyed the tortellini pasta salad; it was a nice, lighter option for lunch.

I really enjoy Cosmic Rays; however, in January the CMs directing seating were some of the grumpiest and least magical individuals I've ever encountered. We were a party of 7 (willing to split up) and to say they were unhelpful is an understatement. There's nothing more frustrating than standing with trays full of hot food knowing your burger and fires are dying a lukewarm death.:faint:
I must have hit them on an "off" day because the words "pleasant" or "efficient" never entered my mind while interacting with the seating CMs.

I don't know if they've gone to this full time- I do know that when they started, it was only during higher crowd periods. If it is being done full time, then I'm all for it. Nothing worse than cruising the seating areas with a rapidly cooling tray and finding tables full of people not eating.

I agree. I only saw it done recently and during higher crowd times. Most of the time, I'm used to scouting for a table myself there.

We were there at lunchtime of Presidents day week and although MK was heaving and there were CMs on the doors there was no directed seating. It would have been useful as we felt we had to eat quickly as there were people hovering at our table on two sides, I am sure an arguement would have ensued when we left as both families seemed to think it was going to be their table!

They were doing it on just a regular February weekday for lunch when we went. We ended up finding a seat in the smaller area off to the site without direction, but that line was LONG for the main seating area. I imagine our food would have been cold before we were seated.

No thanks. I liked it enough, but we probably won't go back there. Too much trouble going to different lines for different things and then waiting to be seated.

Last time I ate at CR's was in July. It was around 11 due to the EMH for that day and they never directed us anywhere, even though it looked quite full. I went on a class trip last May and they didn't have any directing, probably because we were a class.

I actually love it too! Nothing worse than walking past tables being taken by one person with no food while your food gets cold, and then you are done eating before their group even gets the food and gets to the table! It saves so much time and hassle.

. . . CMs directing seating were some of the grumpiest and least magical individuals I've ever encountered . . .

1) NOT TO EXCUSE THEIR ATTITUDE OR BEHAVIOR . . .
2) But, how would you feel telling guests to get food first.
3) THEN, being yelled at by guests who want to grab a table first?
4) I have physically done the Seater job during busy days.
5) Been called,
. . . Table Nazi
. . . Grinch
. . . Warlord of the Wasteland
. . . Child Hater
. . . and, those are phrases without swear words included

1) NOT TO EXCUSE THEIR ATTITUDE OR BEHAVIOR . . . 2) But, how would you feel telling guests to get food first. 3) THEN, being yelled at by guests who want to grab a table first? 4) I have physically done the Seater job during busy days. 5) Been called, . . . Table Nazi . . . Grinch . . . Warlord of the Wasteland . . . Child Hater . . . and, those are phrases without swear words included

Warlord of the Wasteland??!! I'm sure in that moment with an angry guest in your face it was not funny at all... but I chuckled at that one. :p

I haven't experienced the directed seating, but I don't think I would mind it. Cuts down on arguments over tables and prevents people standing next to your table giving you the stink eye for not chugging and leaving as fast as you can.

. . . and prevents people standing next to your table giving you the stink eye for not chugging and leaving as fast as you can.

1) And, you probably not be surprised how often this happens.
2) I have had people come up to me complaining that
. . . the folks at the table were finished eating
. . . the folks should be made to leave so the complainers can sit
. . . why we didn't watch people closer to stop lingering at the tables

NOTE: Working Quick Service is something I only do when I want to pick up
an extra shift for something to do. Fortunately I don't have to worry about
it as a full time position. THE VAST MAJORITY of guests are thoughtful and
respectful. However, the few rude, uncaring, inconsiderate ones really can
spoil a mood.

I once went to MK around 8pm, wanted to get something to eat. As I got there it started to pour down rain. After I picked up my food there was no where to sit, the seats were occupied by soaking wet people who wanted out of the rain. I asked a CM if she could ask someone not eating to leave, she said she couldn't, it was against policy. So there I was stuck with a tray of food, no where to sit, and very few of the people were even eating and more were coming in to get out of the rain.

I like the idea of a CM in there managing seating.

Maybe it's the times we have gone, but have never been directed to a seat at Cosmic Rays or anywhere else.

we were there the last week of Feb and wish there had been a CM directing the seating, had to wait for somebody to get up while we hovered around with trays in hand. Lots of tables taken with folks who did not have food yet.

I totally get it when they do that, and I can appreciate it, but we don't eAt at restaurants that do this. We have 4 little kids, and it's always super packed so the only option is to take all 4 kids in line. Strollers aren't allowed and don't fit, so that leaves me holding the 2 youngest, one in each arm, and the backpack and diaper bag while giving my 2 older boys the stink eye while they are tripping up the other people in line. Meanwhile, DH juggles food for 6 people by stacking trays on top of each other. Sodas spill, a boy inevitably trips DH, etc. etc. the only way we can do it is if I can sit, the 4 kids can be in a chair or strapped in a high chair, and I can have 2 free hands to police while DH gets food. That way i can also wipe hands, get bibs, get sippy cups out, etc. while he gets the food so we can eat right away when he gets there. I know no one wants my 4 kids in line with them anymore than I do either. Then, when we do get a table, it just takes longer because I haven't done the "prep work." For us, it doesn't save anyone any time, but I know in theory it should. We, however, occupy the table just as long and eat cold food. We just skip it and go somewhere else because it is totally impossible! I do understand, though, and it's true that people can eat and be done while others are still waiting in line.

Where there's CM-directed seating, the entire party isn't required to wait in line together. They can generally point out a non-ordering waiting zone.

While getting young children ready to eat can certainly take a little extra time, it generally shouldn't take the twenty minutes or more one person will be waiting in line while the rest of their party is sitting at a table waiting for food and preventing a party who got their food a minute or two before they sat down from being able to sit and eat.

I said twice that I totally get it, no need to defend your stance. I just said that we will choose to skip it. We haven't been to Cosmic Ray's with CM seating, but if they do that, we will likely eat elsewhere. Although, I can see where there would be room to stand at Cosmic Ray's without being in line as opposed to Pinocchio's for example, where you walk in the door and are dumped into the line. Also, we don't go at peak times, but it's never been 20 minutes. Usually DH gets in line and I take the kids to a table. We sit, put bags down, wipe hands, get out a bib and 2 sippy cups, and DH is back by then. He often gets back before I'm done.

I appreciate having tables for those wanting to eat, I really do. It's just not a great set up for us right now with 4 kids 6 and under. Maybe in a few years. There are TS restaurants we avoid right now, too, due to the ages of our kids. I'm not saying any exceptions should be made or anything.

I really like that Cosmic Ray's does the CM directed seating. I wish other places required that you had your food before seating as well. The only thing I'm not crazy about Cosmic Ray's is the separate bays for ordering. It spreads my family in different directions & makes it take a little longer getting what everyone wants. We still like it here though and it's our go-to CS in MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter