• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Does Cooking At Home Really Beat The McDonalds $1 Double Cheeseburger?"

Crazoo

DIS Veteran
Interesting breakdown on this site
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007...lly-beat-the-mcdonalds-1-double-cheeseburger/

Okay, let’s break it down. I can get a double cheeseburger from my local McDonalds for $1.07. It weighs 5.8 ounces, has 440 calories, and has 23 grams of fat (here’s more nutrition facts on the item), which is 35% of the daily recommended allowance of fat (three McDonalds dollar menu double cheeseburgers add up to more than 100% of your daily fat intake). I will say that in terms of caloric content, it is a pretty good deal, but the calories you get are pretty unhealthy - I can certainly see why people with limited budgets and growing children might go for such things, even though it’s far from the best choice.

Anyway, there’s roughly three ounces of meat on the burger, plus cheese, ketchup, and a bun, meaning you can make 16 burgers of equivalent size from 3 pounds of hamburger meat.

Using the global grocery list and other online sources, I obtained some prices for the materials you would need to construct 16 such cheeseburgers.

3 pounds hamburger @ $1.99 lb. = $5.97
16 slices cheese, store brand = $1.99
16 hamburger buns, actually 2 packs of 8 = $3.98
1 small bottle ketchup = $1.50
… for a total of $13.44. One doesn’t have to pay sales tax on these products as they’re staple foods. 16 McDonalds double cheeseburgers, on the other hand, cost $17.12.

They forgot the mustard, pickle & onion. I'm just guessing, but by the time you add those in, I think McDonalds is the cheaper way to go. :thumbsup2 ;)

And of course, you have to pull the pickle out & throw it away. :laughing:

dont forget you will be using electricity/gas, water and cleaning supplies when you cook and clean up.

NO PICKLE!!!:scared1: The pickle is the best part. For years I was a picker offer but then a mistake and I had the much feared pickle. And I was surprised at how delicious it was.
And I agree of missing the onion. pickle and mustard. :confused3

if they are going to get nit-picky, they didn't include the cost of the pickle, onion and grill browning agent for the bun in the cost, add the cost of the utilities to the fray and I would guess it would be a little closer. I also can't get ground beef for that cheap in my stores so that would add to you cost somewhat.

We don't eat at McDonalds as a rule, but I always factor the convenience into the cost too when we eat out. Sure it maybe cheaper to make it at home, but when I am tired or short on time, I have to add the cost of me making and cleaning up into the mix and that makes the McDonalds meal cheaper for me!

dont forget you will be using electricity/gas, water and cleaning supplies when you cook and clean up.

Leave it to the budget board to include those things :laughing:

Even if it is more expensive, I'd rather eat my own home made burgers than fast food...

Yeah, but if you do it too often you have to include the cost of increased healthcare, larger size clothing & a gym membership. :lmao:

Yeah, but if you do it too often you have to include the cost of increased healthcare, larger size clothing & a gym membership. :lmao:

A great scene in the TV show Scrubs of a related note:

Man with health issues that prevent him from being able to eat red meats stops for a $0.59 cheeseburger somewhere and then goes to the hospital, and tells the nurse, "How can you pass up a $0.59 cheeseburger?"

Nurse (Carla) replies, "After you factor in the trip to the emergency room, the stomach pumping, and the IV that $0.59 cheeseburger is going to run you in the neighborhood of $1,500.00."

Man: "Now see that's where they get you."

;)

It should also be 32 pieces of cheese as a double cheeseburger has 2 slices.;)

This is interesting, we made burgers and fries last night. The cost was 8.53 fed 3 (with DH eating 2 burgers) and our lunch today. So we ate for about 1.42 a person per meal not including DH's 2nd hamburger. And we got fries!

Plus after watching Supersize I can't eat McDonlds. Plus does it make anyone else have the mcickies afterwards or just me?:lmao:

Did I miss something..But when you get the double cheeseburgers you get two patties. Not just one as the homemade one suggests?

Am I missing something? If it is a double cheeseburger it would take 6 lbs of ground beef to make the 16 burgers.

3 oz per burger x 2 (since it is a double cheeseburger) x 16 cheeseburgers = 64 oz beef or 6 lbs.

So, the cost of ground beef should be double what is listed. Or $11.94. Now, McDonalds is much more of a deal.

Right?

I'm a pickle remover too! But I usually order without pickle (and without onions if it's at McD's...I don't like their onions, blech!).

Kimya

oldbay
Am I missing something? If it is a double cheeseburger it would take 6 lbs of ground beef to make the 16 burgers.

3 oz per burger x 2 (since it is a double cheeseburger) x 16 cheeseburgers = 64 oz beef or 6 lbs.

So, the cost of ground beef should be double what is listed. Or $11.94. Now, McDonalds is much more of a deal.

Right?
no.
it's actually 1.2 oz. of meat per patty,- although i don't see how one could get the meat for 1.99lb
so the analysis on that amount is correct.
the cheese should be doubled, though.
-and one must include the diced onions and pickle slices as well as the utility cost in preparation, which pretty much balances the scale.

It should also be 32 pieces of cheese as a double cheeseburger has 2 slices.;)

But this is not real cheese. Have you ever ordered a slice of mcdonalds cheese on the side? YUCK!
I figure I am saving money to eat at home. How hard is it to throw burgars on the grill.
The taste is better not to mention the health benefits. If time is the problem then think of the time you will save at the gym.

3 pounds hamburger @ $1.99 lb. = $5.97
16 slices cheese, store brand = $1.99
16 hamburger buns, actually 2 packs of 8 = $3.98
1 small bottle ketchup = $1.50
… for a total of $13.44. One doesn’t have to pay sales tax on these products as they’re staple foods. 16 McDonalds double cheeseburgers, on the other hand, cost $17.12.
no.
it's actually 1.2 oz. of meat per patty,- although i don't see how one could get the meat for 1.99lb

I know I couldn't buy the type of ground beef that I buy for $1.99 but McDs probably doesn't use ground chuck.....they probably buy a 75%/25% mixture of ground beef. That's where the grease comes in. And there is no way I'd pay $3.98 for 2 packs of buns!! I can get a 12 pack of buns for $.59 at the bread store or store brand buns for $.89 for an 8 pack. It's not like McDs uses gourmet buns.

As for me specifically I can't eat McDs greasebombs anymore :scared:

I know I couldn't buy the type of ground beef that I buy for $1.99 but McDs probably doesn't use ground chuck.....they probably buy a 75%/25% mixture of ground beef. That's where the grease comes in. And there is no way I'd pay $3.98 for 2 packs of buns!! I can get a 12 pack of buns for $.59 at the bread store or store brand buns for $.89 for an 8 pack. It's not like McDs uses gourmet buns.

As for me specifically I can't eat McDs greasebombs anymore :scared:

I agree with you CajunDixie McDonalds does not use real meat or cheese.
I can also get beef and sometimes sirloin for $1.99 lb. I can get cheese for 1.79 for 16 slices and I also pay $.59 for buns. $1.99 for pickles (unless I have a coupon). McD's onions taste like the dehydrated ones (yuck).
I do not like the taste of McD's and would not buy the salty (oh, forgot to add that into the cost) burgars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter