Does anyone use the grocery game list to save money on groceries?

mamo-4-wdw

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disn
I was surfing the net last night and found this sight to save money on groceries called thegrocerygame.com. It really sounded like something I would like to try, has any one tried this and are you saving money like the reporter says? I usually get up around dawn and get the Sunday paper, go over the coupons and sale papers and make out my shopping list. This takes about two hours. I would love to save my time and get some extra beauty sleep. Tell me what you think, Thanks,mamo

I looked at it with mucht the same result--No local store and the sample list seems to be mostly over proccessed prepared foods that we never buy.

For a buck, decided to try a sample--and though I had to hide MOST of the list....

For my local publix I would consider the blueberries, italian ice, frozen veggies, and the turkey--but only 1 required a coupon. They even listed meat sales, hair care products, self care, animal care and cleaning supplies and more. So it isn't just the processed stuff that I rarely buy.

Now--it will save me more than a dollar and I do want to stockpile blue berries.....you'd have to save about $1.50 per week to justify the $10 per 8 week charge.

I'm going to give it a go--thanks for the tip.

My mother just joined this week and did her shopping at the two stores.
She was able to get in and out fast as she only bought the good deals with her coupons.
I think well worth the money, for the time saved.

You clip and use only the coupons it tells you too.
She said it was awesome!

I'm a little skeptical, but I am with most things. I guess for a buck, it's worth a shot... :idea:

I've been using the Grocery Game for about two years and wouldn't trade it for the world. It takes me about 15 minutes to print the list and cut coupons. The shopping is super fast as the list is written in the order you find things in the store.

I have a great stockpile of everything I need and really only buy milk and bread off of the list. Everything I buy are things that I use.

I average a 46% savings each week. It really adds up.

Have fun with it! Just remember that it really takes a month or two to really see the results.
:teacher:

OK! I just went over and read the site. I'm very interested in how this works out in reality. I'd love to continue to hear stories from people that are doing this and how it works out for them.

Personally, I shop the sale flyer but don't really do the coupon thing. I don't buy a Sunday newspaper either. So, this would cost me $1.25 per week plus whatever a Sunday paper now costs. I'd have to save a couple of dollars a week to make it worthwhile and just by shopping the flyer I do pretty well already.

Anyway, not trying to be negative, I just don't know if I want to add the expense of the paper and coupon game subscription if it isn't going to make a significant difference over what I save now just using the sale flyer.

Keep the info comin!

I'm intrigued.....I'd be interested to hear what you guys that have just signed up & how you did? I guess for a buck I might try it....I do get the paper & do cut coupons already so I guess I don't get what it would save me?

I'm going to give it a shot for $1. I'll see if it works for me.

Also, when you do the trial, can you sign up for 2 stores for the $1 or can you only do 1 store for the $1 deal?

Anybody who's already a member want to PM me their email address and I can put them in the referral box on my sign up? Might as well give somebody credit. If anybody else decides to join, maybe we could all swap around our email addresses so we can all get credit. You can earn free weeks with referrals.

gotta be careful--I'd hate this to turn like ING and our posting be limited b/c of the referrals.

I forgot my list when I went to church and had to pop back home and print a new one.

Looking forward to working with this..Now off to the store!

Lisa loves Pooh said:
gotta be careful--I'd hate this to turn like ING and our posting be limited b/c of the referrals.
OK, I see what you mean....nevermind about the referrals because I don't want to not be able to talk about this grocery game thing. Thanks for the heads up Lisa.

Well, I went and looked at the site. I was willing to try it for a month. Unfortunately, I've never even heard of the 2 stores listed for my state!! :(

OMG--that was the most bizarre and COOLEST grocery trip ever!!!!

The shopping list is proprietary (I noticed the really big fraud warning it had!!!).

BUT....

I saved $26.84 (used only one coupon though--most was B1G1 free).

And wrote a check for $29.43....

It felt like clothes shopping--really truly it did...like I have the "IN" on the clearances and sales and stuff.

Granted--those with discipline could just do all this themselves....but the 5 minute reviewing of the list--5 minutes marking off what I want to get and then the printing fo the list...I LOVE IT!!!

Let's see if the fairytale holds up for next week!

I did buy 2 things off list...1 loaf of bread...not on sale--but like to just stock up and have it on hand b/c we always run out when I'm not looking! And 1 package of strawberries (on sale).

We do not ordinarily buy non-100% juice..but we are potty training...so took advantage of a sale on that!!!

cruisnfamily said:
OK! I just went over and read the site. I'm very interested in how this works out in reality. I'd love to continue to hear stories from people that are doing this and how it works out for them.

Personally, I shop the sale flyer but don't really do the coupon thing. I don't buy a Sunday newspaper either. So, this would cost me $1.25 per week plus whatever a Sunday paper now costs. I'd have to save a couple of dollars a week to make it worthwhile and just by shopping the flyer I do pretty well already.

Anyway, not trying to be negative, I just don't know if I want to add the expense of the paper and coupon game subscription if it isn't going to make a significant difference over what I save now just using the sale flyer.

Keep the info comin!

I personally save more using the coupons out of the Sunday paper than the cost of the paper. I usually only save the coupons that are .50-$1.00 or more and very rarely use the ones that I need to buy 2 of something.

I checked out the website but there is nothing available for my area. :(

I'd love to help if anyone has any specific questions for me.

Yes, you do save WAY MORE than the cost of the $1.25 paper. It's such a great feeling when you see the $ and % savings that you recieve. Our receipts print that info at the bottom. I love it when the cashier hands you the receipt and says "Wow, you saved over $50!"

I figure that I have saved at least $100 a month if not way more. It has helped fund our Disney trip!

The best part is that it is so easy and quick. You aren't searching through tons of coupons, trying to figure out if this coupon works for this sale. Everything is spelled out in black and white! You pull the coupons before you hit the store, zoom through with your list and coupons and save money. Once you are "stockpiled" the list grows rather short.

Give it a try. It's worth the buck to see if you like it. Do read the information on the how and why so that you see the method to the madness. Have fun!

Oh ya, what I did during my trial period was totally seperate the groceries from what I got from the list and what I bought off of the list so that I could see the actual savings on my "list" items. Does that make sense? On my list items I once saved 74%. That was a rare occasion but it did make me smile!

:cool1:

The grocery game is a time saver! Just review the list, clip & GO!
I typically save 45%+ on my grocery bill since I started the grocery game (almost 9 months ago). And I have a large stockpile of personal care items (shampoo, toothbrushes, etc).

I shop at Kroger. The other interesting thing (perhaps due to all the coupons I use??) is that Kroger has started sending me these special mailings that almost always include a coupon for $5 - $8 off a $50+ grocery trip.

Sure, you could figure out a lot of the coupon combinations that the grocery game site does if you want to spend the time doing so, but I think a $1.25/week is well worth it.

Have fun!

bjkj said:
I'd love to help if anyone has any specific questions for me.

Yes, you do save WAY MORE than the cost of the $1.25 paper. It's such a great feeling when you see the $ and % savings that you recieve. Our receipts print that info at the bottom. I love it when the cashier hands you the receipt and says "Wow, you saved over $50!"

I figure that I have saved at least $100 a month if not way more. It has helped fund our Disney trip!

The best part is that it is so easy and quick. You aren't searching through tons of coupons, trying to figure out if this coupon works for this sale. Everything is spelled out in black and white! You pull the coupons before you hit the store, zoom through with your list and coupons and save money. Once you are "stockpiled" the list grows rather short.

Give it a try. It's worth the buck to see if you like it. Do read the information on the how and why so that you see the method to the madness. Have fun!

Oh ya, what I did during my trial period was totally seperate the groceries from what I got from the list and what I bought off of the list so that I could see the actual savings on my "list" items. Does that make sense? On my list items I once saved 74%. That was a rare occasion but it did make me smile!

:cool1:

I've looked into this and was ready to sign up, but the only store in my area is further away and generally more expensive than the store I normally shop at. Do you think it's possible to save enough to offset this if I drove to the other store? It's not an unreasonable distance, just further than the one I usually go to. Also, in order to benefit, is it necessary to shop weekly? I only shop on the first and the fifteenth of each month.

I'm not sure what the ING thing is but I get nothing out of you joining thecoupongame.I have not joined yet. :confused3 I just wanted to know if anyone had tried it. It sounds so good and like a great way to save up for disney. :flower: I love how people have saved so much money! I went to the grocery yesterday and a lot of items had gone up in price and some things went up whole $1. :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter