Does anyone carry Travelers checks to Disney parks anymore?

goofydad621

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if anybody carries travelers checks to Disney anymore, In the past we always did as it is a great way to control our cash flow. Will will plan to pay for our meals with our credit card but any other purchases are with travelers checks or cash.

Just wondering how you do it?

Thanks

goofydad621

No. We used to bring them to avoid carrying too much cash, but now we just use KTTW. Plus were Chase customers so we can access cash all over WDW.

I was just wondering if anybody carries travelers checks to Disney anymore, In the past we always did as it is a great way to control our cash flow. Will will plan to pay for our meals with our credit card but any other purchases are with travelers checks or cash.

Just wondering how you do it?

Thanks

goofydad621

We used to, just because it was safer than carrying cash. But it's been awhile since we've done it.

We do carry (mostly for our kids) prepaid visa cards with us, though. We get them, no fee, through our bank. They typically represent our kids spending money "allowance" for the trip...and each kid gets their own.

Yes. I much prefer TC and small amounts of cash. I cash TCs at the front desk before I set out, only cashing what I think I will need. I am able to check my spending, knowing if I can spurge, or if I shoud be more careful for the next few days. For us it is superior.

On a side note, one trip I lost our TCs about an hour after we arrived. What a way to start a vacation! However, they were replaced by the next morning. It was just like the commercial!! I swear by them and use them every trip.

We used Disney gift cards. We use them to pay for everything. The fuel perks from our local grocery store is a great benefit to buying gift cards.

We use traveler's checks (no charge through AAA) whenever we travel. When we leave Disney World it's nice knowing that we don't owe much on credit cards. Every restaurant and shop takes them without a problem...even though some of the younger CM's are sometimes puzzled LOL. Usually don't use them at the kiosks though so not sure about these. We only got denied once at the Chinese stand during Food and Wine...think that the young CM there just didn't understand the concept. In the morning we take what we think we will need and leave the rest in the room safe. It is a safer alternative to carrying cash or having a cc compromised. We only used the MB a couple of times to pay for food and drinks at the pool so we owed very little at the end of our last stay.

Nope. Lots of places don't take them anymore, so we don't bother. Credit cards or cash work just fine for us.

We also use travelers checks - obtained through AAA. Tried visa/mc cards once and had a bad experience. To be honest I've never tried Disney gift cards. I'm comfortable with TC and the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here for me ;)

I suppose if you don't have a credit or debit card and need to bring a lot of cash on vacations then travelers checks are still a good choice. We've found that most of our WDW vacations require very little in the way of actual cash so we don't bother with travelers checks. Most of our meals and other purchases are charged to our room or other credit card. We only use cash for smaller purchases.

used to use them all the time. But now since my debit card works at the front desk, no reason to use anything other than the magic band and my debit card. :confused3 No need for any trip to the bank to get and fill out all the little paperwork for the TC's. I always hated signing that crap. :lmao:

I can't remember the last time I used traveler's checks. It was many years ago.

We use credit cards almost exclusively. Some cash and debit card only in an emergency or if cash is needed at an ATM.

OKW Lover, even if you do have a credit card or debit card, (like most of us here), a lot of people prefer to use travelers cheques. However, I dislike having to show personal ID when I cash them, so this is why I cash what I think I will need for the day at the front desk. Of course I still take a couple of Tcs with me, just in case I decide to spend more than what I planned. The other TCs are locked up in the safety deposit box. I travel with credit cards, but I really hate to go into debt. Cash is still legal tender, so that is what I prefer to use. To each their own.

OKW Lover, even if you do have a credit card or debit card, (like most of us here), a lot of people prefer to use travelers cheques. However, I dislike having to show personal ID when I cash them, so this is why I cash what I think I will need for the day at the front desk. Of course I still take a couple of Tcs with me, just in case I decide to spend more than what I planned. The other TCs are locked up in the safety deposit box. I travel with credit cards, but I really hate to go into debt. Cash is still legal tender, so that is what I prefer to use. To each their own.

Credit/Debit cards don't have to be "hate to go into debt situation". My debit card is free and I make sure I have more than enough money in my account to pay for my trip. No need for me to pay the nominal fee for traveler's checks. Just charge everything back to the room, wait till the end of the trip, pay with debit card. One transaction. If I need money, I use my debit card at the front desk. So much easier than signing all the TC's and carrying them everywhere. JMO :thumbsup2 I used to use TC's everywhere, but the hassle is now gone for me. Kind of like writing checks to pay bills, so glad I don't have to do that anymore. :)

Still bring traveler's checks, along with my tube socks, Absorbine Jr, and Birnbaum guide.

I'm not positive that Disney accepts traveler's checks anymore, you may want to call them directly to find out.

I'm not positive that Disney accepts traveler's checks anymore, you may want to call them directly to find out.

You can still use Travelers checks at WDW. I've definitely used them on past trips, and may still use them on my upcoming trip in February.

I know some folks poke fun at using them because they're considered old-fashioned. But they actually serve a unique niche in travel, at least for me. I am traveling with (and sharing a room with) a friend, so it's not practical to charge things back to the room since our finances are separate. Too hard to figure out whose charges are whose. I don't like to use my debit card when traveling, and prefer not to use my credit card for tons of little purchases, either.

Since I have my money all saved up ahead of time for my trip, I needed to decide between travelers checks, prepaid Visa/MC, or Disney gift cards. I have ruled out Disney gift cards because I have a parent in frail health and it's possible that I could have to cancel my trip at the last minute -- would hate to have several hundred dollars of my money tied up in Disney gift cards then not be able to use them if trip is canceled. I have had an issue with prepaid Visa before, so that makes me nervous. May do either an American Express prepaid travel card, or AMX old-fashioned travelers checks. We'll see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter