• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does ANYBODY ELSE avoid the Character Meals?

On our first trip to WDW we happened on Chef Mickey's because my husband would not get on another bus (we had no idea how to get around WDW back then). We were at the MK and took a boat to the CR. Back in the day you could actually walk up and get a reservation!

It was great, no waiting for characters in the parks, fun atmosphere and we saw MK fireworks from the boat! Since that time CM has always been a family favorite and must do.

The past couple of trips though, it has become a bit awkward. We went there on the last trip because my youngest was still having fun and his brothers went along with it, but I think that was the last year. Like many things, it was fun while the kids were young, but we can gladly give up our table to a family with younger kids. Please keep in mind that relates to our family only - YMMV.

We never did many character meals and now we won't do any with the exception of the Crystal Palace. They're too pricey and noisy and most of them don't have very good food IMO.

I liked Tuskers for lunch (right after it first opened) but lunch is not a character meal and I'd sure go back for that if I was with people who wanted to go (on my own I'd probably sit at the bar at Yak & Yeti and order pho). I'm really not that interested in breakfast food. I can't think of any breakfast food I would consider "great." (Breakfast is tough if you don't eat eggs)

Character meals are fun to me. When we were at Chef Mickeys there was this table of about 6 little girls and every single one of them was dressed up as Minnie. When Minnie came around they totally went nuts and Minnie really played it up with them. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Of course, the food could be better, but I love watching kids get so excited over characters, maybe because my son has never liked them that much. :rolleyes:

We LOVE character meals!! We don't like to stand in lines for our pictures with them if we don't have to;We like the variety that buffets offer,and as far as food-We are from New Orleans,so most places don't have much that can compare to home anyway!!!!;)

I went to a character meal at the Contemporary on my very first trip. And attended them again when my son was little.

A friend from work who was in her 20's joined me for part of a trip. She wanted to try CP, hadn't been back to Disney since she was 10, and I ordered a birthday cake for her too, since she was turning 29 on this trip...she was in tears afterwards. The characters paid so much attention to her, they decorated the table with confetti and balloons...she was touched.

So, while I don't do them ordinarily any more, as I do have my favorites and those I like to dress up for or new ones I want to try, I will book them depending on my plans and who might be going.

When we stayed at BCV last year, I checked out Cape May to see what all the hoopla was about with character meals. I could not get DH to go. I went for breakfast and I liked the food. I'm not into buffets for anything other than breakfast though. The character meals seem cute for kids, but I probably will not go to one again.

Our kids are 9 and 11 and we so not do character meals.The buffets are sub standard and the new way they do them with the hot plate is gross. We do a signature meal now and the kids love it and are well behaved

I guess I'm just not very picky, when it comes to food. I've spent a lot of time in small towns (for work) and have to say I've enjoyed cheap little small town diners as much as nice, big city (well reviewed) restaurant (I've been to a few). Give me a Wendy's single with cheese & everything, and I'm happy as a clam.

Most days for lunch I bring a frozen meal or leftovers. And I have yet to have a meal at WDW that wasn't FAR better than what they serve in our caffeteria at work (which isn't that much cheaper). And of course there were those visits to talk to seniors at senior centers - and the "invitation" to stay for lunch. There is nothing on this earth as bad as the food at most senior centers. You have NO IDEA! You know those grey peas that come in the gallon cans and smell like tobacco? :eek: :sad2: :sick:

If the food isn't too dry, overcooked or undercooked, or too salty - I'm probably going to be fine with it. I remember lots of things about the different restaurants I go to, but I can't tell you much about the food (unless there was a certain dish I really enjoyed - and not necessarily what everyone else likes either!).

I like the character meals because I don't have to stand in line for DGS to see the characters at the park. And I have to eat anyway. And with DGS, at least someone else is entertaining him (because it's not going to be a quiet, peaceful meal anyway...).

To each their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter