• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you use your fish extender at home

jbuckent

DIS Veteran
I've run out of time to make my own and the one I love on Etsy is $50 which doesn't seem reasonable for its one week use. So can anyone justify me spending the money, or should I be hanging the brown paper bag. LOL

I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent. That said, I haven't figured out a way to use ours at home yet but I'm glad I made it. My kids really enjoyed the whole FE experience.

Try searching for duct tape FE on here. I saw one on my cruise (2 weeks ago) And it was really cute. Perhaps you could make one that way. Also another cute one I saw. Someone took dollar store zipper pencil pouches & sewed ribbon to the top & bottom of each one to link them together. Not sure if the zipper pouches would hold much if your FE group is large like ours was but it was a cute idea.

I've run out of time to make my own and the one I love on Etsy is $50 which doesn't seem reasonable for its one week use. So can anyone justify me spending the money, or should I be hanging the brown paper bag. LOL

I have been wondering the same thing. Plus, I want to learn where and how to make magnets for my stateroom door. If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :cool1::stir::artist:

I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent. That said, I haven't figured out a way to use ours at home yet but I'm glad I made it. My kids really enjoyed the whole FE experience.

Try searching for duct tape FE on here. I saw one on my cruise (2 weeks ago) And it was really cute. Perhaps you could make one that way. Also another cute one I saw. Someone took dollar store zipper pencil pouches & sewed ribbon to the top & bottom of each one to link them together. Not sure if the zipper pouches would hold much if your FE group is large like ours was but it was a cute idea.

Duct tape idea sounds awesome! Not to mention, easy to make.:hyper::scratchin:thumbsup2:cheer2:

I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent.

I would agree its a decent price to charge for the item, its just not a price I want to pay for something I will use for one week. If I were convinced we would be cruising again and want to do FE again and again I'd justify it, but we don't plan on cruising next year. I'd need some other use, or I need to spend less. So far it sounds like spend less is my option.

Yes...I'm looking at it right now. In my home office I have it on the wall next to my desk. I throw all kind of things in it. Right now there is a birthday invitation, some coupons, shopping list, an index card I keep on restaurants I want to visit when hubby says "where should we go eat?"

Chapstick, hand lotion and some FE gifts I received that I love looking at.

I love it! :wizard:

Directions for making magnets is greatly appreciated!

Think it is a good idea but don't know how do them at home,
Thanks

We have ours hanging up in our kitchen. If the mail comes when the other spouse isn't home, we put their mail in their respective pocket. We also leave each other little gifts and notes every so often. In my family, my DH is the full time student and I'm the bread winner, so his "Honey-Do" list for the week goes in his pocket. The Fish Extender doesn't have to end just because the cruise does! :)

Thanks

Hi cruzisme! I'm no help at all with the magnets. If you can believe this..I actually paid for someone here to do my magnets for me.

I can't copy and paste from my computer here, but there are threads here all about magnets. I hope someone can post here those threads.

So, I paid someone for my FE and I paid someone for my magnets and I can't copy and paste. I'm a winner eh? :rotfl::rotfl: I did however, make my fish exchanger gifts myself! :woohoo:

We made our FE from duct tape and tyvek envelopes, and it was fun to make, and durable too! Now that we have been back for a couple weeks, we hang it in the closet from a skirt hanger and use it for hairbrushes and hair clips, etc. My DS uses the very bottom pocket for his toy cars. :thumbsup2

The DBF and I are just going to get one of those over the door organizers and modify it to use as a FE. I believe it will take us a couple of hours to fix up and we aren't really crafty people to begin with.

If you have an Ikea in your area check this out http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20215764/ Unfortuantely you can't order it online but if you have an Ikea close it would be a quick stop.

Walmart has another option. It is a jewelry storage and you could use the stocking side of it to hold your FE gifts. It can be found here http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household...ellery-Stocking-Set/15712068?findingMethod=rr

Target also has a few options as well
http://www.target.com/p/handbag-fil...1470#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=hanging+storage

http://www.target.com/p/household-e...426#prodSlot=medium_1_30&term=hanging+storage

I feel like everything posted above could easily be fixed up to become a FE. If you can't order online then check the storage section of your local retailer. Something will spark your interest.

We just recently made a Disney Cruise wall. We hung our FE, a bunch of our cruise photos, Mickey ears, and a memorabilia box with cruise things. The wall looks great and reminds us how fortunate we have been to experience a Disney cruise. If I could figure out how to post a photo, I would.

I made mine myself, and yes I use it here at home. I spent too much time and effort to make it to not use it. I use it basically as a mail sorter. It hangs in my office.

Sue Ellen

I made my FE myself using the new sew instructions and improvising a little. I got fabric from the remnant bin for the front and back and used 3 different fabric quarters (sold as 1 piece each and almost the right size). I wish I could think of a use for it at home!

IMAGE_89C2FFEF-107F-451C-9655-0594456AE8A7.JPG

I have been wondering the same thing. Plus, I want to learn where and how to make magnets for my stateroom door. If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :cool1::stir::artist:

Thanks

For the magnets, I used Target Photo and ordered online. I tried a different website, shutterfly I think, but it kept resizing the graphics I loaded. The photos from target came out great and I bought a roll of magnet tape from Amazon and stuck little pieces in each corner. I only printed plain ears this time, because I didn't know if they would come out right. I split the ear graphic into two pieces (left and right ear) and printed them as 2 5x7 to save a little money! Most of the rest of my photos were 4x6 because they are dirt cheap to print. Good thing too, because I didn't think I brought that many magnets, but they filled up the space on my door pretty well (that and I received some magnet gifts from DISers.)

I know its not nearly as awesome as others, but I just went to Hobby Lobby, bought a plain black tote bag, decorated it a little and voila! It made for a great FE, and now I have a tote bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter