Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lmao:

All the hype, for WHAT??? Sheesh.
Disney totally shoots itself in the foot with stuff like this. If they had just made the announcement without all of the hype -- Twitter reminders, Facebook posts, promos on the Disney Parade, etc -- it would have been a cool announcement. But all the "it's gonna be BIG" stuff prior to killed them. Nothing would have matched the hype.

That said ... the folks on the DIS and other BBs who are laughing hysterically at the "big announcement" are really not the focus audience for stuff like that. When Disney hypes new events or short-term discounts, they're not going for the experienced, comes-every-year, knows-all-the-ins-and-outs Disney traveler. They're trying to hook the newbies or the folks who traveled to WDW or DL years ago and are on the fence about spending the money to do a return trip. To THEM, this kind of thing strikes a much different chord.

:earsboy:

Been away from thread for awhile as I needed a break, but promised I would report back as we have been here for 6 days and have 5 more to go!

Record crowds and MK closed under a phase 3 on NYE morn by 10:30 am, yet parks are pretty spotless, crowd control is amazing, CMs are pretty pleasant, and no broken rides at all!

We have seen some pixie dust spread by CMs as well, and Disney has had 2 parks each day with EMH to handle crowd. Fab staffing levels as well! Everyone seems to be going above and beyond to multitask and help guests as much as possible.

Bathrooms have 2-3 CMs staffed outside or inside to handle the crowds, and restaurants seem to be running on time as well, even on NYE!

Decorations are a bit sparse in certain areas, with the best resort continiung to be GF, and a tie for us between AK and MK for best park.

DHS and especially Epcot are disappointing overall, but spectacular showpiece trees. Epcot is most disappointing as they just recycled Flower and Garden topiaries for entrance - added a few hats and scarves. Very disappointing...

Overall, we have been pleased with resort and park maintenance, crowd control and park functioning as it is the busiest week of the year.

We have been to the parks a million times, and we have had some amazing times on this trip with meeting characters, seeing shows and getting lots of smiles and stickers from CMs. They really are making things special for us all!!

If anyone has questions, I will do my best to answer.

Happy New Year, Tiger

Just back from first Christmas / NYE trip and after reading all the warnings about this time of year to visit all our family can say is wow Disney! As PP stated WDW was more than prepared to handle crowd levels, restaurants moved quickly, rides all running, parks super clean considering crowd levels, etc. IMO cannot say anything other than WDW constinues to improve and set new standards in service levels, innovation and memories - Magic Memories and You show and is example of WDW taking it to another level.

Hope all others that were at WDW for the week between Christmas and NYE had the same great overall experience we did.

Yep er, I found that "BIG" anouncement to be something really big. I list it right up there with a few other "Big" disappointments.

1. That first kiss from Wendy in the school playground line in 2nd grade.
2. Geraldo Rivera opening the lost vault of Al Capone
3. The follow up album from the Knack after releasing "My Sharona."
4. The Cleveland Browns season in....... Well every year since they came back in 1999.
5. Hoping my Pentium II processor would crash on 1-1-2000 because it was not Y2K compliant.

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I am still amazed that WDW would consider this a big annoucement. A promotional enticement that gives one day and only during a two week period in the calander year is not "Big" WDW; Nor do I consider giving away 60 total 5 day vacations. Oh well, I still love Disney though.

Been away from thread for awhile as I needed a break, but promised I would report back as we have been here for 6 days and have 5 more to go!

Record crowds and MK closed under a phase 3 on NYE morn by 10:30 am, yet parks are pretty spotless, crowd control is amazing, CMs are pretty pleasant, and no broken rides at all!

We have seen some pixie dust spread by CMs as well, and Disney has had 2 parks each day with EMH to handle crowd. Fab staffing levels as well! Everyone seems to be going above and beyond to multitask and help guests as much as possible.

Bathrooms have 2-3 CMs staffed outside or inside to handle the crowds, and restaurants seem to be running on time as well, even on NYE!

Decorations are a bit sparse in certain areas, with the best resort continiung to be GF, and a tie for us between AK and MK for best park.

DHS and especially Epcot are disappointing overall, but spectacular showpiece trees. Epcot is most disappointing as they just recycled Flower and Garden topiaries for entrance - added a few hats and scarves. Very disappointing...

Overall, we have been pleased with resort and park maintenance, crowd control and park functioning as it is the busiest week of the year.

We have been to thearks a million times, and we have had some amazing times on this trip with meeting characters, seeing shows and getting lots of smiles and stickers from CMs. They really are making things special for us all!!

Happy New Year, Tiger

Happy New Year Tiger! Glad to see you here and to hear that Disney handled crowds well. I noticed that during busy times like Independance day and Spring Break they usually have no problems maintaining parks, parks are spotless and CMs are super friendly, at least in my experience.
You are super brave to be there during this time of year, how were lines, how long it took to be seated, how you even walked there? Details, details, please, pictures even better.:goodvibes

Disney totally shoots itself in the foot with stuff like this. If they had just made the announcement without all of the hype -- Twitter reminders, Facebook posts, promos on the Disney Parade, etc -- it would have been a cool announcement. But all the "it's gonna be BIG" stuff prior to killed them. Nothing would have matched the hype.

That said ... the folks on the DIS and other BBs who are laughing hysterically at the "big announcement" are really not the focus audience for stuff like that. When Disney hypes new events or short-term discounts, they're not going for the experienced, comes-every-year, knows-all-the-ins-and-outs Disney traveler. They're trying to hook the newbies or the folks who traveled to WDW or DL years ago and are on the fence about spending the money to do a return trip. To THEM, this kind of thing strikes a much different chord.

I agree with you completely. They failed with all the hype but promotion itself is very cute, something they never did before. I am not sure who it was directed to but I think of it as of something little special, not a promotion that everyone expected but something those who planned to go around this time will like.
Not every promotion is for everyone anyway, I never took advantage of Birthday ticket or GDGD ticket, 4/3, 5/2, GC and so on , so what, others did.
Part of the problem is people expecting promotions right now much more then they used to years ago, totally Disneys fault, and getting rid of all the discounts is very difficult.

Now flicx.... ;)

It was rather lame wasn't it? We might still go but I am considering skipping this year. I was hoping that some wonderful announcement would convince me to go for sure.

Sorry, I couldn't resist plano! By the way happy newyear to everyone on this thread! I too was thinking it was gonna be something cool to get me back this year,oh welll.:confused3 I just wonder though when they discussed this big announcement idea at a board meeting was everyone sleeping? I mean I can't imagine someone didn't question it.

HI Searcher!

Ya, I agree with what you stated above. They make a big to do about nothing really. But you seem to be right, they aren't marketing their customers that are the experienced, "comes every year" types, I suspect also they do go after the newbies, and people that haven't been in years.

Brunette

Yes, I think Disney (especially in Florida) has gone downhill over the past decade. While the competition is improving and investing in their parks, Disney has let its Florida parks become stale. Quality has gone down while prices have gone up. Everything from dining to merchandise and maintenance has slowly decreased in quality.

I'm still hoping things can turn around. Things were bad in Anaheim until their 50th celebration and fortunately they are now back on the right path. Hopefully the same can happen in Orlando.

Hi! Thanks for posting. I agree. I think people are now immune to the low grade quality of merchandise and food and other things Disney. I do agree with you there. Hopefully, they will make an turn around, maybe after Iger retirements in 2015, but who knows.

Brunette

We have been to thearks a million times, and we have had some amazing times on this trip with meeting characters, seeing shows and getting lots of smiles and stickers from CMs. They really are making things special for us all!!

Happy New Year, Tiger

Hi Tiger!

Great post and review. Thanks for that. Sound like they have everything under control especially the crowds. Glad pixie dust is sprinkled on you and your family for the Holidays! I love love going their New Years Eve. That's my favorite time of year.

So I guess EPCOT doesn't have teh Winter of Lights decorations displayed this year. I also, wonder why they recycled the toparies from the flower and garden , (springtime?) for Christmas???:confused3

I'm glad you're having a great time. Fill us in more when you a get a moment. Is it still crowded there?

We're currently in Midtown Manhattan (for NYE), coming back today.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! bRUNETTE

Yep er, I found that "BIG" anouncement to be something really big. I list it right up there with a few other "Big" disappointments.

4. The Cleveland Browns season in....... Well every year since they came back in 1999.
5. Hoping my Pentium II processor would crash on 1-1-2000 because it was not Y2K compliant.

I am still amazed that WDW would consider this a big annoucement. A promotional enticement that gives one day and only during a two week period in the calander year is not "Big" WDW; Nor do I consider giving away 60 total 5 day vacations. Oh well, I still love Disney though.

hEY gOOF4PREZ!

LOL!! You're so funny!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Brunette

Hey Goofy!!

Great to see you back around! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year and that you are doing well after your recent "situation"! Forgive my own absense, as I haven't been around here much myself. Just got through the busiest time of year and looking forward to some down time!

I caught this response by you and thought I'd add one for ya:

David Berg and his "group" that were going to catch a ride on the tail of Comet Kohoutek after it obliterated the Earth! I was really looking forward to that one but we all got gipped!!

I do have to take aside your "The Knack" reference, as there was a sequel to "My Sharona". It was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQiIkz7J5Y

I hope I don't get into trouble for posting that! LOL!!

Anyhow, great post! I was so overwhelmed by the "big announcement", I got all mooshy inside!

Take care my friend and I hope your greatest challenges are behind you!

pirate:

hEY gOOF4PREZ!

LOL!! You're so funny!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Brunette

Happy New Year to you as well!!!!!

My wife says something similar, "you think your funny," usually with an elevated voice that is raised in pitch a couple of octives with her hands firmly on her hips with a swaying of the upper body from side to side...:lmao:

(But I do love her dearly)

Hey Goofy!!

Great to see you back around! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year and that you are doing well after your recent "situation"! Forgive my own absense, as I haven't been around here much myself. Just got through the busiest time of year and looking forward to some down time!

I caught this response by you and thought I'd add one for ya:

David Berg and his "group" that were going to catch a ride on the tail of Comet Kohoutek after it obliterated the Earth! I was really looking forward to that one but we all got gipped!!

I do have to take aside your "The Knack" reference, as there was a sequel to "My Sharona". It was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQiIkz7J5Y

I hope I don't get into trouble for posting that! LOL!!

Anyhow, great post! I was so overwhelmed by the "big announcement", I got all mooshy inside!

Take care my friend and I hope your greatest challenges are behind you!

pirate:

Thanks Pirate Jeff. After being hit by a drunk driver and almost checking out from this life, I am so greatful just for the little things in life that are easily taken for granted. This would even include appreciating the things WDW does well and includes the things they have gone down hill in. (keeping it on topic, LOL)

I will agree with you on David Berg; he certainly had some "out there" ideas. As for the follow up for My Sharona here is another one that was done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_G7HHJ0GE

Happy New Year, Tiger
I'm surprised that AK is tied with MK as best park. I keep thinking that AK is trying hard to be a better park and I must give it another chance. The constant failure by Epcot is what really bugs me nowadays. It was once my favorite park but just seems to continue to slide downhill.

It's good to hear that the CM's are doing such a nice job. They are really special aren't they? :)

Have fun with whatever time you have left.

I love these! :rotfl:

I'm glad that we can laugh at this stuff - it makes it easier to swallow.

Happy New Year Tiger! Glad to see you here and to hear that Disney handled crowds well. I noticed that during busy times like Independance day and Spring Break they usually have no problems maintaining parks, parks are spotless and CMs are super friendly, at least in my experience.
You are super brave to be there during this time of year, how were lines, how long it took to be seated, how you even walked there? Details, details, please, pictures even better.:goodvibes

Thanks! Can't do photos now, as I need to do some editing. Will work on it, if I get time.

Lines - depending on the park, lines varied. Some days we walked on rides, and other days there were huge lines. We only waited in line for Rapunzel at 30 mins, as we don't do lines as we come often enough to not need to wait line.

Seated - not sure if you are referring to restaurants? We have only eaten at a few restaurants, as it is our first trip since hubby's Crohns diagnosis a few months ago. We love cooking and eating in our DVC villa! But the few restaurants we have eaten at have been great. Kona actually seated us early on NYE!

Transportation - we always have our own car, so we only use monorail to MK or between Epcot. Monorails have been great - on time, clean and efficient. We never take buses, so can't comment on that, sorry. Have seen some long line ups, but that is to be expected, but we also experience those in the summer and during spring break as well.

Hope this is helpful!!

Hi Tiger!

Great post and review. Thanks for that. Sound like they have everything under control especially the crowds. Glad pixie dust is sprinkled on you and your family for the Holidays! I love love going their New Years Eve. That's my favorite time of year.

So I guess EPCOT doesn't have teh Winter of Lights decorations displayed this year. I also, wonder why they recycled the toparies from the flower and garden , (springtime?) for Christmas???:confused3

I'm glad you're having a great time. Fill us in more when you a get a moment. Is it still crowded there?

We're currently in Midtown Manhattan (for NYE), coming back today.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! bRUNETTE

No, Winter Lights haven't been up in a few years, so I didn't even mention it. Not sure why they recycled the topiaries, besides saving money? Most guests loved them, and it would only be us regulars who go multiple times per year who would recognize them. My 8 year old noticed right away! LOL! They really were out of place: Goofy, Donald, Stitch, Bambi and Thumper...? Huh?

Crowds let up yesterday, and today was great as we could take awesome castle shots without a million guests in the photo.

Roads are much less crowded, as are parking lots! Love that!

Decorations are still up, and they have already started to get ready for the marathon this weekend.

Enjoy Manhattan! :goodvibes

I'm surprised that AK is tied with MK as best park. I keep thinking that AK is trying hard to be a better park and I must give it another chance. The constant failure by Epcot is what really bugs me nowadays. It was once my favorite park but just seems to continue to slide downhill.

It's good to hear that the CM's are doing such a nice job. They are really special aren't they? :)

Have fun with whatever time you have left.

I meant AK was tied with MK for best decorations - AK has lots of themed Christmas trees (Nemo, Chip n Dale, etc.) We love the main showpiece tree as well, and the best is that the characters are dressed in holiday outfits. MK missed the boat in this respect, as characters are in normal gear. DD was hoping that Belle would be in her red Christmas dress, but not the case.

Epcot is still my fav park because of my love for World Showcase, but it does need some freshening up.

We had a great morn at Magic Kingdom - met Rapunzel (finally!), awesome castle shots, Peter Pan, Tea Cups and Speedway!

Happy New Year all, Tiger :wizard:

I don't believe I reposted after my last WDW trip which was in early Nov 2011.

1. I didn't see anything to make me think the WDW is going Downhill (sorry if I constantly repeat this but since it's the title of the thread I want to remind myself and other posters why we're responding here.)

2. Many of the comments about going downhill have to do with the food quality. There are many foods in WDW so I will comment on one very popular choice... the burger. The burgers at WDW used to be pretty bad, as long as I could remember, as far as burgers go. This time they have changed it and it's much better. This goes against the argument that the food quality is declining.

3. CM's - I believe some that are arguing that WDW have fired alot of CM's may actually be disgruntled former CM's. There are so many CM's in WDW that you really can't look in any direction without seeing one. There are great, friendly, and helpful. I don't see how anyone could complain about lack of CM's.

4. WDW is clean as always. The bathrooms were spotless and never smelled bad. There were CM's constantly cleaning and changing garbages everywhere I went.

5. Rides - There is always a ride here and there that has something not working properly - the one that always comes to mind is Splash mountain. However, if you don't go as frequently as I do you'd never know. Otherwise everything was working. Nothing broke down while I was there.

Compare this to Universal, where my family and I rode Cat in the Hat recently... it was just sad. The ride looked old and dirty, something that hasn't been upkept in many years. You can tell the difference from WDW and Universal just from that ride.

6. Fantasyland - Building new areas to enrich the experience... need I say more?

I don't know Brunnete. I'm sure you love WDW or else you wouldn't be here. But I think this post was made for controversy and attention. Many may see it as an insult to WDW as I did when it was first created... but whatever, I got over it. To me it just seems like you won't back down from your original post even though many of your thoughts were countered, and you keep it alive by posting every so often. I must applaud you for making a thread that has lasted so long with so many posts in it. The only threads that last on these boards are controlversial ones. All positive threads die off quickly since they are not as fun to read. So congrats I guess.

EDIT:
I'm sorry I forgot to add the one negative thing that made me think of this post. The monorails were not running some nights for the EMH people. We had to take buses back to BLT. What a pain in the butt! One night we had to take it from Epcot, another 2 nights we walked from MK to BLT. I thought of the thread because maybe they were trying to lower costs... but I could be wrong too.

EDIT:
I'm sorry I forgot to add the one negative thing that made me think of this post. The monorails were not running some nights for the EMH people. We had to take buses back to BLT. What a pain in the butt! One night we had to take it from Epcot, another 2 nights we walked from MK to BLT. I thought of the thread because maybe they were trying to lower costs... but I could be wrong too.

Disney cut monorail hour back, last fall. They no longer stay open for EMH or party nights. They shut down, one hour, after regular park closing. Bummer

Forgot to jump in here after returning in early December.

I didn't see any slide. I had been away from the world for five years, and I was really worried after reading all the doom and gloom around here. The place was clean, service was great, CMs were all happy, or at least respectful, and the only food we found lacking was actually at non-Disney properties like HoB and RFC.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter