• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you mind all the various buttons at Disney?

We had the generic "I'm Celebrating" buttons that came with our check-in, but we used our sharpie to write "Forever Family Day" on the buttons for our family. We were, in fact, celebrating the day my daughter became my daughter and we became a forever family. We were going in to ride Peter Pan for the second time and this poor CM greeter at the entrance just burst into tears. She said her daughter and husband just received their referral from China (where my daughter is from) and it just made her day to see our family.

So, I'm pro-button. What's the harm?

What a beautiful story! Now, I'm the one in tears!

Dani, I wasn't trying to single anyone out specifically..just referencing a general feeling from reading threads like these over and over.

Sorry if it came across as I was singling you out! I didn't mean that, I promise ;)

No worries! I figured you thought I singling you out (or people in similiar situations) and I wasn't. ;)

Gee Whiz
If you like the buttons - wear one!
If you don't like the buttons - don't wear one!
If you like to say Happy Birthday to people wearing buttons - say it!
If you don't like to say Happy Birthday to people wearing buttons - zip it!
If you are wearing a button but don't want to be acknowledged - well I have no answer for that :rotfl:
Seriously - does it have to be complicated :confused3

If you are wearing a button and I notice I will most likely wish you well.

Well said! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :hippie:

Me Too. :lmao:

BTW you'll LOVE Shades. Have a nice trip and enjoy that pizza!

Thanks! I'm excited for SOG! And haha! Perhaps I'll wear it into Pizza Planet at DHS.....that could be fun! :D But sorry to disappoint you, I won't be having a beer with it. If they did serve Midori Sours though, I'd totally hit that up.

It does seem like they are everywhere, but my wife and I wore ours for our honeymoon 2 years ago, our anniversary last year, and will wear them again this year for our anniversary... Why not?

We did also receive buttons for our birthdays last year when we checked in as well (we didn't request them) but we didn't wear them because that just felt like it would be too much attention grabbing.

IAm I the only one?

I tend to agree. It really lost it's luster for me after twice on my last trip I wished someone on the bus wearing a birthday button a happy birthday, only to be told that their birthday was six months ago but they were "celebrating it today". Yeah right....talk about shameless ploys.

Gee Whiz
If you are wearing a button but don't want to be acknowledged - well I have no answer for that :rotfl:

You said it.

When DD7 and I check in this past January, I think the CM was disappointed that we weren't celebrating anything. He tried to come up with something for us to be celebrating, with no luck LOL. :laughing:

He asked if we were celebrating birthdays, a reunion, an anniversary, etc. -- what kind of anniversary could it be, with just DD and I? An anniversary celebration where I left DH at home? :confused3 :rotfl:

He tried, he really did. Apparently Disney is really pushing the celebration theme, to the point where they want every single guest to celebration something, anything. :laughing:

Now ... with everyone and their dog "celebrating" their birthday days and even months after the fact (for days on end) the pixie dust is spread pretty thin. Ho-hum. You had a birthday sometime this year and you're wearing a button. Whoop-dee-doo.

:rotfl2:

"Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super, [laughs maniacally] no one will be." (Syndrome aka Buddy aka Incredi-boy)

Darn buttons :rotfl2: I always wanted one. I go to Disney in Sept and my birthday is Aug 22 so I never got one.This year I booked my trip from my actual b-day and I was sooo excited. Then I fell down and broke my leg :sick:
So trip is postponed until I was told I could walk again .....:sad1:

Oh please let me have a birthday button anyway:worship:

Add me to the list of PPs who think that birthday buttons should only be worn on actual birthdays. I think of birthdays as one-day celebrations, not week-, month-, quarter- or year-long celebrations (with very few exceptions).

On my last trip, I was talking with a family on the bus, all of whom had birthday buttons on. None of their actual birthdays fell within 3 months of the trip.

I will be happy when this trend dies out. Isn't being at Disney reason enough to celebrate? :confused3

I was standing in line a few weeks ago and a CM asked a girl wearing a birthday pin when her birthday was. It was 6 months ago!:rotfl: She's said she is just celebrating it now.

I was in WDW for my actual birthday last year and so many people had buttons on. At first I said "Hey, it's your birthday, too!! Happy Birthday!" and people looked at me like I had twelve heads and stammered a response, eyes darting to their traveling companions. I got the feeling from their reactions that a good chunk of them weren't really celebrating their birthday. I stopped after awhile. . .

Gee Whiz

I LIKE IT!! We're going in December. Originally started as a trip for my 50th, but we pushed it out to Dec instead of June (temps/WWOHP/Christmas decor)
and Dec is her bday month. So, we've got 3 days; 1 for my bday, 1 for hers (Dec baby) and 1 for our anniversary. Besides, it's taking that long to save for the trip. :thumbsup2

The buttons do not bother me. If someone wants to wear them, that is their choice. If a button bothers someone, they should not be looking at the person who is wearing them :thumbsup2 Just look elsewhere

What about the child (no matter what age)....when all they want for their birthday, Christmas, straight A's + any other random thing that can be heaped onto this sort of a gift ---- can only go when it's not their birthday, although the trip is to celebrate the birthday? Should they hide the fact that their birthdays are the reason for being there? I think not, nor does it really pain someone to wish someone else a good day?

Just wanted to report on what happened on our 6/5-6/11 trip (DD's actual birthday being 6/2). When I booked F! dining package, CM wanted to know about our "celebrations". I told her about DD's birthday and that it was her & DH's first trip.

This ended up on every dining ressie we had. DH & DD never got a "First Trip" button. I never asked for a "Birthday Button" for DD, but she ended up with three---one in Spanish! She got a birthday cupcake at almost every TS we had, even having the entire restaurant sing "Happy Birthday" to her a couple of times. She also got a couple of signed cards.

She only wore one of the buttons 1/2 of one day. Now we have three buttons and no idea what to do with them...

We'll be there next March during DS's 3rd birthday. That only falls one of the 7 days, but we'll let him wear the button the whole trip if he wants to. ;) (there is a good chance that he won't tolerate the button being there though, he was no fan of the "First Visit" one this year). I'm certainly not looking for any freebies, but a nice happy birthday would be lovely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter