• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you like being called "The Wife?"

I can't think of ever hearing anyone using it in conversation, only written. I have been seeing The being added more and more to other things. My kids will say The Walmart when they are being disrespectful to Walmart. They have also called other businesses The, when they are referring to it in a not kind way.

My husband would never refer to me that way, nor I him, so I've never thought of it.

Seems to me, in my experience anyway,that the term is mostly used by older white men, but maybe that's just because that is all I've ever heard using it. I've never heard anyone my age or in my peer groups use it at all.

I literally JUST saw that(I think on dis or dvc Facebook group) and thought ugh when I saw it.
Count me in as one who isn't a fan.
I don't mind 'my wife' at all
My husband doesn't need to use my name to people who don't know me.
See what I did there?

I can't really say why I dislike the use of THE wife but have no problem with MY wife. Maybe it's because the first seems impersonal and dismissive? My late FIL used to refer to my MIL that way and I remember telling DH that I never wanted him doing the same thing. He never has.

"The wife" sounds too much like "the old ball and chain." DH is smart enough not to call me either of those.

Years (and years and years) ago I was an executive secretary, whose job was to make the boss look like he knew what he was doing, even tho he referred to me as "the girl." say whut? I wouldn't put up with that today.

Not sure if DH has ever called me "the wife" but the term doesn't bother me at all. My uncle has called his wife by that term but I have never considered it disrespectful.

Doesn't overly bother me even though I don't ever remember hearing my dh refer to me like that. I do occasionally refer to dh as 'hubby'. What I can't stand is husbands and wives calling each other 'Daddy' & 'Mother'!! :( I've heard that many times in people that we've known over the years - would 'not ever' tolerate that!
To me, that only should be used when your (a) child is involved.

Maybe they mean "THE" wife. Like the one and only, the one above all others.

I've never heard DH call me that but I've never really noticed. I dislike "hubby" and "hubs" so I probably wouldn't like it. I think he always refers to me by name when talking to others.

Don't care in the least. But then old lady doesn't bother me either. Dh doesn't use either that I know of but not something that I would get my knickers in a twist over.

I use it, but only in jest. Usually when she has a senior moment or a brain fart, I would jokingly say, "So the wife said..." or "The wife did...". We both do the same with our son. We'll call him "the boy" when he has moments. For instance, "the boy tracked mud all through the kitchen...".

AFAIK, have never been called that but it wouldn't bother me.

I have a male friend at work who often refers to his wife as "my better half", which strikes me as odd because I never hear anyone else use that term. I suppose it's a compliment to her but just seems so old-fashioned.

My husband will introduce me as "this is my wife.." followed by my name. In conversation when I am not around he will refer to me as "my wife" to thise who do not know me personally, or by my name to those that do.

It's not something my DH uses, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's mostly used ironically in jest.

If I would ever hear my DH say "the wife" in conversation it would be his last. I don't like it and find it highly demeaning.

In conversation with those he doesn't know, my wife, is just fine. With people that know me, my name should be used. I feel that it diminishes me as a person to use the term.

I had a very liberal PC relative once take me to task because when I want to refer to both DH and DS together, I tend to say "the boys". Now, obviously, I have to call them "the men" since DS is 21 ;).

As long as I don't call them late to dinner, they don't seem to mind what I call them!

Terri

I don't find it offensive and I'm pretty sure I have heard DH use that term. Usually it's because it involves me in some way and he knows better than to volunteer my time for me.

DH and I have turned the terms into nicknames, I am Wifer and he is Husband darling. I think I would cringe at "The Wife" a bit archaic for me.

Well, I am "the wife", it doesn't feel degrading at all. DH doesn't refer to me as that, but I am known as the "cruise director". ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter