• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have any fears or phobia's

Claustrophobic. Recently went for an MRI. The tech got me situated, then put me in the narrow tubular thing, and I freaked out. Rescheduled me for next Tuesday, but will be in the MRI machine that is more open.

I became afraid of flying after 9/11 and then that fear compounded after a plane crashed on takeoff here at our small local airport. I had taken that flight several times and after that, I just freaked out at the very thought of flying.

Then a few years ago, my employer had some changes and suddenly they were asking me to fly frequently. At least once per month. Each time, I was a mess. But after about a year, I got used to it and I'm pretty much A-Ok now. I don't like turbulence, but I don't assume we're going to crash every time the plane experiences it anymore.

Other than that, I'm really just afraid of insects with billions of legs (exaggeration, but I don't really care how many legs they really have, because it seems like a billion to me) like centipedes. Ugh.

Fear of flying. Well I have never been on a plane so I can’t say I am afraid of it, it’s more I am afraid I will be afraid. Like, I am afraid of getting in the air and freaking out.

And spiders. We can get some big ones in the house at certain times of the year. Not sure what I will do if I get one now that I am here by myself. Ds walked in one day to find me and Dd standing in chairs because of big spider. He asked what exactly we were going to do if he didn’t come over. Yeah, we had not thought that far ahead. lol

I'm claustrophobic. I'm not sure when or why it started. It's been sometime over the past 4-5 years. When my children were little, I was able to wander through all of those caves on Tom Sawyer Island in WDW without a second thought. Now, even thinking about it raises my heart rate. I can't do spiral staircases because they feel too closed in. (Which my kids all find hilarious, btw)
I found out I was claustrophobic when I got my first MRI after having my son. Never really had an issue with it as a kid--and I love the caves on Tom Sawyer Island, by the way. Now those damn barrels on the island...

As an adult I have developed an irration fear of sinkholes. They are just so random. One minute the ground is there, the next it isn't. No warning, no reason, just "oops, the earth collapsed".

I became afraid of flying after 9/11 and then that fear compounded after a plane crashed on takeoff here at our small local airport. I had taken that flight several times and after that, I just freaked out at the very thought of flying.

Then a few years ago, my employer had some changes and suddenly they were asking me to fly frequently. At least once per month. Each time, I was a mess. But after about a year, I got used to it and I'm pretty much A-Ok now. I don't like turbulence, but I don't assume we're going to crash every time the plane experiences it anymore.

Other than that, I'm really just afraid of insects with billions of legs (exaggeration, but I don't really care how many legs they really have, because it seems like a billion to me) like centipedes. Ugh.

Sept 11 made me afraid to fly too. I use to fly all the time, but I haven't been on a plane since. Not longer after I moved to my current citt, a plane crashed on take off at our airport, killing 49 people. The co pilot did survive. But that crash cemented it for me and I don't see myself flying again.

Sept 11 made me afraid to fly too. I use to fly all the time, but I haven't been on a plane since. Not longer after I moved to my current citt, a plane crashed on take off at our airport, killing 49 people. The co pilot did survive. But that crash cemented it for me and I don't see myself flying again.

I believe we live in the same city... the details of the crash you described are exactly what happened here. And in this little big town, everyone knew somebody on that plane. Terrible day.

I have no real fears that I do not overcome if it want something bad enough, except now since I have gotten older and my sense of balance has changed. I have a fear of going down stairs if they don't have any handrails. Also brought on by a fall that I took on a staircase about 9 years ago with severed my quad muscle and killed a couple of nerve endings. So that is a bit unstable as well.

you dying alone people, do you mean no family or friends at the end of your life, or during the actual act of dying ?

Me I want to die alone, thats a personal thing none of you are invited to , lol

Heights I believe. Not that I have ever climbed up on high stuff before, but if I am looking out a window or something from a high place I get dizzy.

A possible phobia of medical syringes. It's been a while since I didn't faint or feel like fainting while getting an injection!

Fear of flying. Well I have never been on a plane so I can’t say I am afraid of it, it’s more I am afraid I will be afraid. Like, I am afraid of getting in the air and freaking out.
My father was a crew chief on a P-47 during WWII. A P-47 was a single pilot (or maybe two) don't remember, but, even though he was a crew chief he couldn't fly on it because there was no room for him.

He passed away at age 74 and had never been in an airplane. The message that my sister and myself got constantly from him was... "I'm not going in a plane, I know how many things can go wrong with them". We heard that an average of 10 times a year.

Flash forward, I had an opportunity to take a European Tour sponsored by my college. It involved flying out of Montreal to Lisbon to Madrid to Rome to Paris to London to NYC to Montreal, over a two week period. I managed to work my way to the end of the boarding line in Montreal and was the last one on the flight. I was scared to death. Every noise, every squeak, every odd sound made me jump. It was a great adventure. We left Montreal at around Midnight headed across the Atlantic to Portugal. I was white knuckle all the way. Then it happened... dawn in route. The tops of the clouds had the most beautiful gold edging clearly outlining them. It was incredible and was a sight that one cannot ever see from the ground. I was hooked at that point and since all the things I heard did not result in the plane falling from the sky, I was able to quickly realize that they were the natural sounds of a huge hunk of metal that is airborne. Sometimes all it takes is to face ones fears and they can be gone forever. I realize that some are more ingrained the others, but, most can be overcome especially if you have to indication that you would panic, but, just worried that you might.

heights....but planes and rides are fine.
It is standing on the edge of something. I get wobbly.

My father was a crew chief on a P-47 during WWII. A P-47 was a single pilot (or maybe two) don't remember, but, even though he was a crew chief he couldn't fly on it because there was no room for him.

He passed away at age 74 and had never been in an airplane. The message that my sister and myself got constantly from him was... "I'm not going in a plane, I know how many things can go wrong with them". We heard that an average of 10 times a year.

Flash forward, I had an opportunity to take a European Tour sponsored by my college. It involved flying out of Montreal to Lisbon to Madrid to Rome to Paris to London to NYC to Montreal, over a two week period. I managed to work my way to the end of the boarding line in Montreal and was the last one on the flight. I was scared to death. Every noise, every squeak, every odd sound made me jump. It was a great adventure. We left Montreal at around Midnight headed across the Atlantic to Portugal. I was white knuckle all the way. Then it happened... dawn in route. The tops of the clouds had the most beautiful gold edging clearly outlining them. It was incredible and was a sight that one cannot ever see from the ground. I was hooked at that point and since all the things I heard did not result in the plane falling from the sky, I was able to quickly realize that they were the natural sounds of a huge hunk of metal that is airborne. Sometimes all it takes is to face ones fears and they can be gone forever. I realize that some are more ingrained the others, but, most can be overcome especially if you have to indication that you would panic, but, just worried that you might.

Yeah I keep saying I am going to face it and get on a plane. Perhaps with a little help from the dr.

Dd thought NYC would get me on a plane. You know, it’s a beautiful driving trip from MS to NY. Lol.

Maybe a short hop like to Orlando would be the way to go. A one hour flight vs a 9 hour drive that is beyond boring sounds great!

Not flying is limiting. So many trips I would love to take that involve flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter