Do you feel guilty leaving the kids at home?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We are considering a quick couples trip 2-3 nights but I am having serious mom guilt over leaving the kids at home with Grandma. Our kids are 1 1/2 and 5. We bought annual passes last September and traveled over labor day and again in January. Then I booked bounceback and the kids, my mom and myself are headed back in May (DH has to stay home due to work). So they are not missing out as they have had 3 trips this year. Our couples/anniversary trip (usually in June) is typically to a concert or some event overnight an hour or 2 from home. This year, We are considering a quick flight down to Disney (because of the AP's) to enjoy some of the more adult activities, jellyrolls, fine dining, thrill rides. As a mom it feels great to get a night or two away while I know they are well taken care of and having fun at Grandmas. But would being at Disney make me feel guilty or miss them too much to enjoy the trip? I never went to Disney prior to having kids so would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

You will have a great time. Plan things that you would never take them to and go on rides that they are too young for. It will feel like a completely different trip. If you do or see something that you think they will enjoy you can look forward to the next trip. Have Fun

You shouldn't feel guilty at all! It's a totally different trip, and you will have so much fun.
DH and I are leaving our 16, 14, and 10 years olds home this November for our first adults-only Disney trip. Can't wait!

We do it all the time. For every family trip, we take a kid free trip. We tell the kids that without those we won't sane enough to take them again, so they are all for it. :-)

DH and I are taking our 4th kid- free trip next month followed by our 5th kid- free trip in May :thumbsup2 They are the best! I did feel guilty the first time-for about an hour after I set foot on Disney property lol. Then I felt free!! We do tours when we go alone since our kids are still too young for most of them, and we spend a lot more time leisurely strolling WS with adult beverages. Whether you initially feel guilty can't be helped but GO ANYWAY and have a ball!!

When we went on our first kid free trip 2008 & 13 years of marriage. It was very different we kept talking about how they would enjoy certain things but we also needed couple time regroup and recharge. Now our kids are 21&17 and they beg us to go away. Don't feel guilty because you are taking them later have fun and enjoy yourself.

Definitely take the couples trip. You will not regret it! DH and I are taking our 2nd couples trip in March. Our first one ended up being a little too long for us to be away from our LO so we are taking a shorter one this time. We had a blast together last time and it was a fantastic break from the 24/7 responsibilities of being a parent. Having 'Us' time is something that I would recommend to all couples with children. It really helps to be able to just concentrate on each other and having a good time! For a short 2-3 day trip like you are considering, you may not even have time to miss them! :)

I think this is needed sometimes after you have babies. Just enjoy the couple trip. You can go again with your kids when your younger one turns 2 or 3. Good luck for your trip.

The guilt will pass after an hour. Lol! I felt guilty only after a few minutes. :laughing: Seriously though, its not like your kids are deprived....you have a trip planned, and they have been already. Nothing to feel guilty about. You will have a great time with your spouse, trust me. it'll be a whole new experience. I think every parent should experience a kid-free trip at least once. Enjoy!

I just posted something similar a few weeks ago! I did feel so guilty! But I'm like you and my DD has been to Disney before and recently. Now that I've had time to let it sink it, I'm not so guilty. Looking forward to doing some of the more grown up things, and taking my time where I want to.

Enjoy your time! You are a better parent when you can rest and recharge some times. And Disney seems like a great place to find some romance with your spouse!

We are considering a quick couples trip 2-3 nights but I am having serious mom guilt over leaving the kids at home with Grandma. Our kids are 1 1/2 and 5. We bought annual passes last September and traveled over labor day and again in January. Then I booked bounceback and the kids, my mom and myself are headed back in May (DH has to stay home due to work). So they are not missing out as they have had 3 trips this year. Our couples/anniversary trip (usually in June) is typically to a concert or some event overnight an hour or 2 from home. This year, We are considering a quick flight down to Disney (because of the AP's) to enjoy some of the more adult activities, jellyrolls, fine dining, thrill rides. As a mom it feels great to get a night or two away while I know they are well taken care of and having fun at Grandmas. But would being at Disney make me feel guilty or miss them too much to enjoy the trip? I never went to Disney prior to having kids so would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
No way! Do not feel guilty. I never planned on even bringing my child until she turned 8 and could fully enjoy the trip AND I could enjoy the trip with her. I went when she was under two years old and never felt guilty. She knew this. I told her and she has held me to my word. (She finally goes in April...at the age of 8, as promised.)

Hmm. Not sure how exactly to put it into words.

NO!

:rotfl2:

When DW and I go to WDW by ourselves, the DDs (2 and 4) get to go to their grandparents for a week, so they end up having a great time. We definitely make sure that we don't tell them where we were though. No sense in rocking the boat unnecessarily.

In all seriousness though, going without kids is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier. Disney transportation is a lot easier -- no worries about folding the stroller and holding the little ones.

No diaper bags, no asking someone if they have to go potty, no worrying about bringing 15 million snacks, no melt downs (at least no toddler melt downs). And for once, you can actually sit down to a nice dinner without worrying about how much food and drink is being spilled onto the floor.

Be warned though -- you will walk a lot more without kids. In fact, without kids, we averaged 10,000 more steps per day since we weren't sitting around waiting or hanging out in the room during nap times.

Last edited:
I felt the same way when I took my first trip to Disney without the kids but it was amazing. It was our 10 year anniversary so we wanted to do something special. I reconnected with my husband, and we got some time away from the kids to recharge. The kids ended up having a blast with Grandma and didn't complain at all and we were happy to see them when we got back. I think is good for parents and the kids to have some time apart. It make for a healthy relationship for the couple and it give Grandma some amazing memories with her grand-children.

We had such a positive experience we ended up doing it again for our 12 year anniversary. Oh and Disney is great without the kids! You get to see and do thing that you wouldn't be able to do if traveling with the kids. You'll feel guilty when you leave but once there you'll see that it was worth it! Have fun!

Taking our first kid free trip in September and I don't feel guilty at all, lol. One will be at college and the other with grandma. I am excited!!! :moped:

This post reminded me how back when I was in elementary school, my parents would take me and my brother who is two years older than I am to WDW on summer vacation, and then my mom would return there in the fall with my eldest brother and cousin in tow since they were older and done with school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter