• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you enjoy the moment

I’m not good at living in the moment. I worry too much. I try to remind myself to live in the moment, but it’s often kind of an aspirational goal.

My high school's drama department put on the play "Our Town" during my junior year. The scene at the end where Emily says goodbye and asks, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it...every, every minute?" was truly impactful to me. We even discussed this in my English class, and the teacher made sure that we paid attention to the answer: "No. Saints and poets maybe...they do some." Well, I am neither one of those but I have made a conscious effort since then to "realize life" as much as possible.

This is probably one of the best versions of that scene that I have found. Paul Newman was one of my favorite actors. We don't really need the background music but this scene is perfectly executed:

This is a very Griswoldian trait OK kids there’s the Grand Canyon now get in the car!

No joke, when I was in elementary school many moons ago, my parents drove me and my sister to Carowinds in NC. Since it was pre-internet and a FRIDAY, they never thought to check to see if it was open. It wasn't. :( I guess I was destined to be a Griswold. :crazy2:

My high school's drama department put on the play "Our Town" during my junior year. The scene at the end where Emily says goodbye and asks, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it...every, every minute?" was truly impactful to me. We even discussed this in my English class, and the teacher made sure that we paid attention to the answer: "No. Saints and poets maybe...they do some." Well, I am neither one of those but I have made a conscious effort since then to "realize life" as much as possible.

This is probably one of the best versions of that scene that I have found. Paul Newman was one of my favorite actors. We don't really need the background music but this scene is perfectly executed:
Thanks for sharing that!!!

Sometimes, but I get distracted easily (sometimes by nothing more than my own thoughts) so I sometimes have to do it deliberately. One example that comes to mind was the day I went to WDW to experience the Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy for the final time. I purposefully did not bring my camera with me, and turned off my phone, and just enjoyed the experience of riding them. I know if I had tried to photo or video them, the experience would not have been as nice.

I try to, but I’m not always successful. And at times like this, I look back and wonder if I appreciated it enough.

But I have gotten better about it, especially right now. I call it finding my silver linings.

We had one of those moments tonight. Our much younger neighbors brought over a pecan pie still hot from the oven made from pecans from our pecan tree that we gave them a few days ago. Perfect end to the day.

The picture thing is hard. There’s many places I may never go to again so I want photos to last a lifetime.
Disney is sure nice as rarely take photos, as I already have them of everything. We do the photo pass still. We also still use a regular camera, so that’s only taken the day we do something new, like the first time going to Galaxy’s Edge. I love the lack of pressure to take pics at Disney, it does make it more enjoyable. But I equally love looking back at photos from places around the world we have been to, some of the memories have faded, until I see a photo and recall the memory.

I have had some serious health issues this past year and am learning to take time to enjoy the moments, the people and the memories we make. I've always known it was a good way to live, now it just seems more real to be present in the moment and find the joy in each day.

It's not always something that comes naturally. I'm typically am caught up in the future, but there are times I'm able to enjoy the present.

They say if you learn to enjoy the present moment, then you'll be able to enjoy the future. Because when that future moment comes along, it will be a present moment. And the only moments you have control over are the present moments....

tenor.gif

I really try to also especially when it involves DS (2) & think I do pretty well.
:flower3: Do your best to hold onto that - build lots of “margin” in to allow you to savour the moments. One of my biggest regrets is having rushed so hard through my DS’s childhood and for the life of me now I can’t remember what seemed so important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter