Do we need one GAC or two??

foxxxy83

DIS Veteran
Hey guys! My son's Autistic and I have neurological problems and am partially sighted. Do we need to take medical documentation? Also, do I need to ask Guest Services for a GAC/DAS card each or one between us?? I'm SO confused by the whole thing!

it would be best to get each of you your own Card, since you both have different needs, and in case one of you dont want to do the ride and the other does your card would still be valid, as the person whose name is on the card MUST be riding the ride or attraction.

Our last trip we had 2. My son had his own, and my mom who is in a wheelchair had her own so that she could use the wheel chair access points.

Hey guys! My son's Autistic and I have neurological problems and am partially sighted. Do we need to take medical documentation? Also, do I need to ask Guest Services for a GAC/DAS card each or one between us?? I'm SO confused by the whole thing!

It will get even more confusing according to the new plans for implementation on October 9. Now the person needing the card will have to go to Guest Services each and every day that they are in the parks for a photo ID.
I just now talked my DH into getting the card for our upcoming trip the end of October. He suffers from Spinal Stenosis and has just had a Defibrillator implant in January. He can only stand for short periods of time before he gets tired. He refuses a wheel chair ( too proud and depressed) but agreed to at least get a card when we arrived. I know for sure he will totally refuse to go through this new procedure each and every day we are there. It is quite sad that the abuse of this kind convenience has caused further sufferings for those already afflicted with handicaps.
I am looking into what this card provides for the rest of the family. Is the fastpass only for the person? We were not interested in fast passes, just interested in going on some attractions with the grandkids all at the same time. I too am confused but I am going to make sure that DH has all his medical paperwork with him. If that is the case then maybe they ( Guest Services) should consider viewing these documents on the initial day as good enough proof.
Just a thought. Wishing you a safe and wonderful trip.

It will get even more confusing according to the new plans for implementation on October 9. Now the person needing the card will have to go to Guest Services each and every day that they are in the parks for a photo ID. I just now talked my DH into getting the card for our upcoming trip the end of October. He suffers from Spinal Stenosis and has just had a Defibrillator implant in January. He can only stand for short periods of time before he gets tired. He refuses a wheel chair ( too proud and depressed) but agreed to at least get a card when we arrived. I know for sure he will totally refuse to go through this new procedure each and every day we are there. It is quite sad that the abuse of this kind convenience has caused further sufferings for those already afflicted with handicaps. I am looking into what this card provides for the rest of the family. Is the fastpass only for the person? We were not interested in fast passes, just interested in going on some attractions with the grandkids all at the same time. I too am confused but I am going to make sure that DH has all his medical paperwork with him. If that is the case then maybe they ( Guest Services) should consider viewing these documents on the initial day as good enough proof. Just a thought. Wishing you a safe and wonderful trip.

Hi-
We're going in October too! I have a Spinal Cord Stimulator (not sure if it's the same thing as your DH) & a pain pump.

From what I've read, if you're staying an extended length of stay, you can get a photo taken @ Guest Services.

Your DH should absolutely consider a w/c. It's not about him being too proud.. It's about him not being able to walk the miles necessary in Disney. If you've read other threads it discusses the length ppl thought they walked & the actual amounts. Some can be 9 miles/day! Quite a difference from the 2-3 miles ppl approx!

This change that they're talking about, is instead of getting in the exit & going straight in, you can get a stamped pass to return. I'm assuming it's with your family, that they're not going to have us go alone ;) He should be in the W/C for a lot of the ride ques also, because you can easily stand in those for 20 min before a ride & at least, he'd have a place to rest!

Parades are very long & there's usually no place to sit except for the ground. If he's like me, there is no sitting on the ground-between the pain & inability to get up, it's almost impossible..

Try & have him read some of these. He will still be able to ride the rides with your Grandkids!

I'm worried myself, but for the reasons that
1. It's new
2. Magic Bands has been in the testing phase & mine have been screwed up for a bit
3. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of angry people that I don't want to listen to that are maybe unaware of this!

Maybe the few weeks that it will be going on before we get there, will help work out the kinks.
I'd be more worried about him not wanting to be in a w/c or even an ECV..he will be in a lot of pain & probably be miserable without rest from all of that walking.

Hope you have a great trip!!

You're not disabled are you? It's your son?
I think just the person who needs it gets one & as long as you have him with you to go on an attraction, you're good :-) Does that make sense?

You're not disabled are you? It's your son?
I think just the person who needs it gets one & as long as you have him with you to go on an attraction, you're good :-) Does that make sense?

OP's son is autistic. OP indicated he/she has "neurological problems and am partially sighted." If there are accommodations being requested related to each of those issues, both guests will need their own GAC/DAS.

OP...there are changes coming. Some are outlined in the GAC rumors sticky above, still waiting on details of how other things may be handled. I suggest, particularly for your son and depending on what accommodations you expected for yourself regarding the neurological issues - try to have a "plan B" in place that doesn't rely on GAC as at this point we only know there will be changes and it doesn't point to those including being immediate access. GAC accommodations for vision issues should be handled similarly to past experience.

Enjoy your vacation!

We both have disabilities. It's just that they take different forms. I'm partially sighted, have MS and have some residual brain damage after a VERY bad case of ADEM virus but my son is Autistic. I am used to my difficulties but temperature affects my MS symptoms (esp the phantom limb syndrome.. ie when amputees can still feel the limb/limbs they lost, I can feel extra ones! I know I don't have any extra limbs but my central nervous system is SO damaged, my brain sends messages to limbs it believes are there! :( )

samnbilly.. thanks SO much for that post! I always tend to have a "plan B" and "go with the flow" as much as poss as that's all you can do with our difficulties (I HATE the word "disabled"!) I'm not expecting there to be many accommodations for me and I possibly wouldn't use a GAC/DAS but I think more having it there is a comfort rather than needing to use it if that makes sense. Just so I know I've got it if I really do NEED to use it so my son still has his dream come true and not get to the other side of the park and then have to go all the way back to Guest Services.

You do not need a doctor's note. You do need to say what your needs are, for both of you. :)

If you read sue's original sticky in the forum on GAC's - you need to be able to articulate what your son needs for accommodations. GAC are not given on the basis of a disease/disorder or diagnosis. So simply saying, "my son has Autism" tells Guest Services exactly nothing. You need to be able to say what sort of needs your son has and Guest Services will indicate how those needs can be handled based on the current GAC/DAS policy in place at the time.

And there is a strong rumor that since they are going to assigned ride times, that it will be ONE DAS per family to keep people from cheating this system. If it is one per family, then they can only get one assigned ride time. But if they allow multiple DAS per family, then they could potentially get an assigned ride time for each DAS. So if the OP goes after the change goes into effect, it 'appears' they both will be covered under the same DAS.

It will get even more confusing according to the new plans for implementation on October 9. Now the person needing the card will have to go to Guest Services each and every day that they are in the parks for a photo ID.
I just now talked my DH into getting the card for our upcoming trip the end of October. He suffers from Spinal Stenosis and has just had a Defibrillator implant in January. He can only stand for short periods of time before he gets tired. He refuses a wheel chair ( too proud and depressed) but agreed to at least get a card when we arrived. I know for sure he will totally refuse to go through this new procedure each and every day we are there. It is quite sad that the abuse of this kind convenience has caused further sufferings for those already afflicted with handicaps.
I am looking into what this card provides for the rest of the family. Is the fastpass only for the person? We were not interested in fast passes, just interested in going on some attractions with the grandkids all at the same time. I too am confused but I am going to make sure that DH has all his medical paperwork with him. If that is the case then maybe they ( Guest Services) should consider viewing these documents on the initial day as good enough proof.
Just a thought. Wishing you a safe and wonderful trip.

No one knows how things will be handled with the new DAS, but in the past, issues like the one your husband has, was not given a GAC. Mobility and stamina limits were solved with use of wheelchair or ECV.

I know it can be hard to convince someone to use a mobility device. My mother won't even use her walker or a cane as she views it as a sign of her being "elderly." She is traveling alone this week and I absolutely insisted she use a wheelchair at the airports. Wonder of Wonders, she emailed me to say she was so glad I got her a wheelchair! I about fell out of my chair when I read this.

Please try to convince your husband that it is not a sign of weakness; that people of all ages might at some point need some help getting around. Point out that the average person walks almost 6 miles a day at WDW and that the family will feel better if he is comfortable.

No one knows how things will be handled with the new DAS, but in the past, issues like the one your husband has, was not given a GAC. Mobility and stamina limits were solved with use of wheelchair or ECV.

I know it can be hard to convince someone to use a mobility device. My mother won't even use her walker or a cane as she views it as a sign of her being "elderly." She is traveling alone this week and I absolutely insisted she use a wheelchair at the airports. Wonder of Wonders, she emailed me to say she was so glad I got her a wheelchair! I about fell out of my chair when I read this.

Please try to convince your husband that it is not a sign of weakness; that people of all ages might at some point need some help getting around. Point out that the average person walks almost 6 miles a day at WDW and that the family will feel better if he is comfortable.

Thank you to both you and samnbilly for your response. It is so nice to hear positive replies and comments. I will try my best to convince DH about the possibility of a wheel chair. Yes, he will be miserable when pain sets in and it does not make for a fun trip. Thank goodness we will be at BLT and he can enjoy the sites and monorail rides. If the wheel chair doesn't pan out he will stay resort bound! I know him oh too well.

OP, if you are eligible for FP+, I think it will help you quite a bit. I mean in addition to GAC/DAS of course.

I arrive at WDW on Friday, and I look forward to seeing how well the FP+ works for us. For some rides, like Soarin' and Space, I got the FP+, because I can make my son walk a bit, (because pushing him up and down the hills is so hard for me). He can walk sometimes, when there are no stairs, if I hang onto him// he has vision (poor depth perception), stamina and balance issues with the Downs and Autism.

OP, if you are eligible for FP+, I think it will help you quite a bit. I mean in addition to GAC/DAS of course.

I arrive at WDW on Friday, and I look forward to seeing how well the FP+ works for us. For some rides, like Soarin' and Space, I got the FP+, because I can make my son walk a bit, (because pushing him up and down the hills is so hard for me). He can walk sometimes, when there are no stairs, if I hang onto him// he has vision (poor depth perception), stamina and balance issues with the Downs and Autism.

Hope you have a wonderful, restful trip. Let me know how those Fastpass things work out for you. Have a blast!:cool1:

No, we don't have FastPass+ unfortunately. I'm sure we'll be fine though. At the end of the day, we're going coz 1) we NEED a holiday and 2) I so DESPERATELY want to make my son's every dream come true. Even if we get there and he suddenly gets "ride phobia" again, we're doing stuff like Discovery Cove and MNSSHP as well so he'll have a FAB time. I was just confused over the whole Guest Assistance thing as we both have disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter