• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do I really need...

mgsmom

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW several times in the last few years, but have never been to Universal.
We are going this year at the very end of May/beginning of June.
Do we really need the Express Pass?
We usually visit WDW in late July, if that helps with my crowd comparisons...
TIA!

That should be a good time to go without express. Just try to avoid Fridays as that's when the school groups go to celebrate the end of the year.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm thinking it will be a Tuesday and a Thursday. I can always add it when I get there if I see I need it, right?
I thought it would be a game-changer as far as choosing a hotel, but with only 3 of us it really doesn't. We are better off staying offsite or at Cabana Bay and just buying the Express.

Thank you! I'm thinking it will be a Tuesday and a Thursday. I can always add it when I get there if I see I need it, right?
I thought it would be a game-changer as far as choosing a hotel, but with only 3 of us it really doesn't. We are better off staying offsite or at Cabana Bay and just buying the Express.

Yes, you can always add it if you really think you need it. Take advantage of early admission if you stay at Cabana Bay. It really helps with the Harry Potter areas. Also, do the big rides early on as the parks get busy by lunch time.

I am totally biased but I would recommend trying EP st least once. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference to me, but there's just something about skipping through those short little lines and riding over and over again (unlimited EP from the hotels). It completely s changed my opinion about needing an EP and made it an incredible trip.

There are others who really don't mind either way though.

We've been twice in early-ish June, staying off-site with no EP. Never had a problem. Longest wait for an HP ride was 45 min (late afternoon Sunday or Monday), and the longest wait period was for Bluto's Barges on a super hot day. Most days we got there a little after rope drop, rode the big rides with little or no wait. The only thing we had problems with was Minions. We never went past that ride that the line wasn't at least 45 min, usually longer, so we skipped it.

If you get there and find that the lines are too long, you can always add it that day.

We've done Universal with & without the EP and I would never go without it again! We go during a less crowded time in August every year and when we went without EP we barely got on any rides.. With EP we did a TON!
I don't know about crowds when you're going but I always recommend the EP.

Really? Even given that one night gives you two days of unlimited express pass? (Two nights gives you three etc) Now if you're only going to parks on two days I see it but make sure you're pricing unlimited EP for comparison.

I am comparing similar rooms - King Suite to King Suite. I can stay at Marriott Grande Vista for $1040. Exact same dates and type of room at Royal Pacific for $2242. And the MGV has a full kitchen and a furnished balcony.
I'd rather pay for the Express passes and be comfortable. Please feel free to do the math for me - but I should still come out better.

We went over Thanksgiving and stayed off-site. We did not use EP and were fine. In fact we were done both days by 5pm. If you choose the right day of the week, rope drop, and use a touring plan I see no need for the EP.

Your mileage will vary, depending on your tolerance and patience. I am impatient, so I always want the EPs. I also stay onsite, because, for us, it is the least stressful...you can head to your room for a rest, or the pool, and still be able to ride what you want, without much of a wait.

If you don't mind lines, and many don't, not having EPs may be the way to go.

But, let's say you want EPs...your best bet, many times, is to stay onsite, at one of the three hotels that provide them with a stay (HRH, RPR and PB)...let's look:

It sounded like you were going for two days and splitting your days (Tuesday and a Thursday), but I suggest keeping them together and staying onsite:

Let's say, you want to be in the park on Tuesday, May 30 and the next day: You only need to book one night.

1 night at CB is $159
1 night at RPR is $294

If you stay at CB and decide you need EPs, they will cost you $255/day ($85 x 3) for the limited version or $300/day ($100 x 3) for the unlimited version.
So, CB stay plus EPs equal at least $414 for one day with EPs...and if you want EPs for the next day, it will be at least another $255.

1 night at RPR is $294 and unlimited EPs are included for both days.

None of the above includes cost of tickets...those will cost the same either way. Taxes also not included.

Thanks for the info on the stays! We do want to get somewhere and stay the duration (Sun-Fri) without moving. So that's a thing. But, I did notice you quoting EPs per day - so when I go to add them onto my tickets online (when I'm planning) it looks like it would only charge once for the two days. ETA: I just went and checked - I was only selecting 1 day. For the three of us for 2 days of EP it says $419.96.

We are only in Universal 2 days. The other days will be Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, golf, etc.

I'm thinking about a family suite in Cabana Bay as well - DD is 9 and it looks perfect for her - but that doesn't include EP so not really a thing.

Thanks for the info on the stays! We do want to get somewhere and stay the duration (Sun-Fri) without moving. So that's a thing. But, I did notice you quoting EPs per day - so when I go to add them onto my tickets online (when I'm planning) it looks like it would only charge once for the two days. ETA: I just went and checked - I was only selecting 1 day. For the three of us for 2 days of EP it says $419.96.

We are only in Universal 2 days. The other days will be Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, golf, etc.

Yeah, you can get the EPs cheaper when purchased with the ticket...I thought you were speaking of getting the EPs after you get to the park and decide...then they would cost more. It sounds like you are doing some pretty good homework.

We are only in Universal 2 days.

I would recommend getting the EP for at least one day then. I've been to Universal during the middle of the week in August and I had EP for one of those days and it was wonderful! It allowed me to do so much more in the parks than on the days when I didn't have one. Get it for your first day that way you can ride as many rides as possible and then on your second day you can ride your favorite rides, and if you need to you can get EP again.

That's a great idea - I can add one day of EP for the first day and then we can "mosey" a little more the second day. Plus, it's not as expensive but I know we will definitely get to everything we want to. I like it! Plus, I didn't realize it is cheaper to get it with the tix than add at the park. How funny.

I always recommend waiting until you arrive (if you decide to stay offsite) before purchasing an EP. Early June is not that crowded so you should be good w/o it. Not sure how much of a difference Volcano Bay will make on the summer crowds this year.

We are going to Disney in Nov and thinking of adding one day at US/IOA just for Harry Potter. Is it possible to do just the HP stuff all in one day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter