Do I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Yes, it has become that bad. At one point the military took the guns away from the Tijuana police force and gave them slingshots:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16763344/from/ET/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-02-05-border-crime_x.htm

Here is an article about a kidnapping this year:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080630/news_1m30father.html

I have travelled through Mexico and Central America. I won't go into Tijuana at this time.

I read all of the articles. In one, it mentions how Washington DC has a higher crime rate than Tijuana and that the crime rate is no worse than any other major city. The concern is HOW the murders occur... often by decapitation. These are drug gang wars mostly, so if you are a drug dealer... it would be dangerous, yes. Also, kidnappings happen. With more frequency in the last year, obviously... but kidnappings happen all over the world.

They also mentioned that TENS of THOUSANDS cross the boarder both ways legally every day. That is a lot of people! And while I have read about drug trafficking US citizens being killed recently, I have not heard of any US tourists being killed or kidnapped (although I am sure it has happened somewhere in the world!).

They also interviewed US citizens on Revolution ave. who all visit frequently, with no problems and none had any concerns.

OP: I am so glad you decided to change your plans. There has been recent violence there and it is not a safe place to go by any means. There is no "tourist area" that is safe. It might have been that way but is no longer. Plus, you wanted to shop and all they have are trinkets and other items that are probably fake. Thanks for listening to the folks who told you it wasn't safe!:thumbsup2

Just curious, but have you ever been to Mexico or Tijuana? Trinkets and items that are fake? I am just curious as to what this means?

And yes, Tijuana does have a "tourist area". I just phoned a friend of mine who lives in San Diego... he and his wife frequent Tijuana often (just went last week). Both assured me that dispite the media, Tijuana's tourist strip is still alive and kicking. They have never had a problem... although they go during the day, stay in the tourist area, don't carry large amounts of money or big cameras and they don't deal drugs. Common sense for travel in any big city. They also recommend the Red Trolley, Molly (that rhymes, :laughing: )!

Just curious, but have you ever been to Mexico or Tijuana? Trinkets and items that are fake? I am just curious as to what this means?

And yes, Tijuana does have a "tourist area". I just phoned a friend of mine who lives in San Diego... he and his wife frequent Tijuana often (just went last week). Both assured me that dispite the media, Tijuana's tourist strip is still alive and kicking. They have never had a problem... although they go during the day, stay in the tourist area, don't carry large amounts of money or big cameras and they don't deal drugs. Common sense for travel in any big city. They also recommend the Red Trolley, Molly (that rhymes, :laughing: )!

Yes, I have been to Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Zihuatanejo, many places more than once. I honeymooned in Cabo for two weeks and went to college in San Diego and crossed the border way more than my parents were comfortable with. I've taken the trolley, the bus, walked across, drove across, etc. From experience, I am talking about the stuff they sell in many of those towns. So fake stuff: jewelry, watches, cosmetics, handbags, Disney stuff, cigars, even prescription drugs, not to mention the fake Zebras. Yes, you could get Taxco silver, handicrafts, pottery, vanilla, blankets, leather goods, but why risk crossing the border to place where the police themselves are a huge part of the problem? I know there is a tourist area but to call that area safe is a long stretch. Why risk being caught in some other war that is raging down there right now as an innocent bystander? There is a reason tourism is down 90%, clearly a couple of us on this board are not the only ones who think it's no longer wise to visit select border towns.

I thought that the majority of the problems are in Rosarito Beach (which is a real shame because I love the RB Hotel).

Have not gone anytime recently. Went to Rocky Point (south of Arizona) two summers ago and had a great time.

As to fake trinkets. I wouldn't buy gold and valuable stuff down there. There is really nice decorative stuff that is obviously made in Mexico. I'd stick to that.

Now you have heard about it:

http://www.10news.com/news/15232704/detail.html?rss=sand&psp=news

You are correct that the odds are very low, but why chance it?

Here is one more article from the State Dept:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

Thanks for the link.

We take risks every day. Just living life is a risk! I COULD be shot driving down the road or hit by a drunk driver or kidnapped from my bed.

The risk is low enough that I would feel completely safe taking my family on a day trip to Mexico.

We disagree! Oh well :goodvibes !

Okay, story on cnn.com tonight about gruesome discovery of 4 badly burnt bodies on a Tijuana street.

Probably best not to go to Tijuana these days.

Okay, story on cnn.com tonight about gruesome discovery of 4 badly burnt bodies on a Tijuana street.

People are murdered every day, I would guess in every single major US city. I was just on MSNBC and they have an entire section (Crime & Courts) dedicated to murder, kidnappings, rapes etc. Heck, we have serial killers and school shootings... which is something many countries have never experienced! Sadly, the world is a dangerous place.

Did they say it was Tourist?

I'll bet the Mexican version of CNN probably has more US stories than Mexican lol. I wonder if they are telling their citzens don't go to the US.
you might become the next Brittany Spears.

:laughing:

:wizard: Rudy

I live in San Diego and if you are only going to be here a short time there is SOOOOOOO much more fun stuff to do here besides going to Mexico. I have been to TJ many times to take friends and family there and every time I vow not to go back and now with the rise in crime I wouldn't go over there if you paid me to. My advice would be to enjoy all of the great stuff San Diego has to offer!

The point is not whether it was tourists, but with a drug war going on there is the possibility of getting caught in the crossfire.

I agree with the above poster. There is a lot to do and see in San Diego and Tijuana can be skipped.

I think tortugaverde is secretly the president of Tijuana.

But seriously, if you have an inkling of doubt, don't do it. If it were me alone, I would totally go, but I'm a pretty big guy (6'8) and if you put me in some ill-fitting clothes, the ambiguity of my muscle size and weight appears threatening (don't let anyone know I secretly look like Rick Moranis!). If I had a family, I wouldn't risk it though.

My godson just got back from a day in Rosarita Beach. He and his cousin and some friends took a shuttle from San Ysidro to Tijuana, then another shuttle to Rosarita. They spent most of the afternoon and were back by 7 PM. Since he is only 18, there wasn't much partying going on, but they went to the beach and hung out. He said he had a good time. He only needed a driver's license, but they recommended a 2nd ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter