• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL trip cross country with a toddler - worth it??

Should we go?

• DO IT!!!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Wait until the kiddo is older

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

PrincessBelle23

Mouseketeer
Hello! Hubby and I just closed on a DVC resale :cloud9: and have started talking about when our next trip will be. While we've been to WDW numerous times, we have never been to Disneyland and thought this might be a good time to try it out since our 2 year old wouldn't need tickets and if it was somewhere we thought we'd only visit once it might be easier/more affordable with one kid than waiting a few years. We'd be traveling from MA, so it's roughly a 6 hour plane ride, and we would have to limit our time (financially and due to work schedules) there so it would be only DL, no other CA ventures this time.

I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not it would be worth it to try... Or will we miss out on too much with our son only being about 2.5?

Thanks for any feedback :)

I took my son when he was about that age. He's almost 11 now. I say go for it! My son definitely doesn't remember that trip, but it's fun to look back at the pictures. He used to be an extremely shy and quiet toddler and that trip really helped to bring him out of his shell. Here's a photo of him on that first trip and on our most recent trip.
image.jpeg
If it were going to be your only Disney trip ever, I'd say wait. But since you're DVC, I have a feeling Disney will be a constant in your life. ;)

With that said, you mention a 6 hour flight. If your son is not a good traveler, I would think about maybe waiting. It just depends on your tolerance for dealing with a toddler on a plane for that long.

I don't know what your alternatives are (like is it DL vs some other vacation destination), but I think you can have a lot of fun with a 2.5 year old at DL. In addition to rides together as a family, I would also make use of single rider lines and fast passes so that you and your DH can still experience the big rides. We have three small children (all under 5) and try to make a point to travel (incl cross country flights) as much as budget and time allows, so my default is to say "GO!," but I know that isn't for everyone.

My son is currently 15 months old. He has been on 11 flights ranging from 1 hour to 6 hours. We have a trip in about 2 months which will add 2 more flights to his total (3 hours each way) plus we are going to Hawaii in March which will add 4 more flights. Travel, do stuff that you want to and they will get used to the practice of traveling and make it easier for you when they're older because it seems pretty common to them and not stressful. My son's first flight was a 6 hour flight to wdw at 7 weeks old, I have to say it was probably the easiest flight so far as he was very content just to be held and nurse but as long as you're prepared with distractions it's still not bad.

We went to Disneyworld with DS/DDIL/DGD when she was 2 1/2 she was so good and we all enjoyed the trip. The plane ride was a little over 2 hrs. They were contemplating a trip to DL but felt she was to young for that long (around the same as yours) of a plane ride. Only you know how your child will handle the trip.

I don't doubt that you could have fun at DL with a toddler. But a 6 hour plane trip to get there? I would stick closer to home until you are certain he can handle the flight, for the sake of everyone involved.

If you stick close to home, how will you ever find out if he can "handle" the flight? Gotta travel to get used to traveling.

It's 4 hours to get from Seattle to San Diego, and we did that when DS was 17 months then a year after that. Actually he was easier than than he is now as a 12 year old, LOL.

I can't tell you if it will be worth it for you guys. We didn't travel actually xcountry until DS was older than that, because we didn't own DVC then and we weren't going to Orlando. But we did travel. Staying at home staring at the walls isn't very fun, LOL.

When are you thinking of going? How many nights? I can't give my opinion until I know those answers. DL is always a blast but I need more info before I can say if I think it is worth it.

I took my son when he was about that age. He's almost 11 now. I say go for it! My son definitely doesn't remember that trip, but it's fun to look back at the pictures. He used to be an extremely shy and quiet toddler and that trip really helped to bring him out of his shell. Here's a photo of him on that first trip and on our most recent trip.
View attachment 197604
If it were going to be your only Disney trip ever, I'd say wait. But since you're DVC, I have a feeling Disney will be a constant in your life. ;)

With that said, you mention a 6 hour flight. If your son is not a good traveler, I would think about maybe waiting. It just depends on your tolerance for dealing with a toddler on a plane for that long.

Thank you for sharing - What a cutie-pie!! :)

When are you thinking of going? How many nights? I can't give my opinion until I know those answers. DL is always a blast but I need more info before I can say if I think it is worth it.

Hi Carrie! We were thinking Jan or Feb and avoiding the busy holidays. Tentatively, we've talked about doing Sun-Fri to avoid the weekend and have 4 days at the parks.

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm not super worried about the plane ride... I'll just bring plenty of snacks and a charged ipad to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and we should be ok. I also wanted to try to plan it to overlap with nap time :)

I guess what I was more questioning was whether we would feel like we would miss out on stuff because he would be so little. We took him to WDW for his 1st birthday (obviously more for us to enjoy since he won't remember) and it was a blast! I just worry since DL is so much smaller that if we are also unable to take him on as much that maybe we'd feel like we were missing out?

My son is currently 15 months old. He has been on 11 flights ranging from 1 hour to 6 hours. We have a trip in about 2 months which will add 2 more flights to his total (3 hours each way) plus we are going to Hawaii in March which will add 4 more flights. Travel, do stuff that you want to and they will get used to the practice of traveling and make it easier for you when they're older because it seems pretty common to them and not stressful. My son's first flight was a 6 hour flight to wdw at 7 weeks old, I have to say it was probably the easiest flight so far as he was very content just to be held and nurse but as long as you're prepared with distractions it's still not bad.

wow, that's awesome that you are able to travel so much!! :-) definitely a good point, ty!

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm not super worried about the plane ride... I'll just bring plenty of snacks and a charged ipad to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and we should be ok. I also wanted to try to plan it to overlap with nap time :)

I guess what I was more questioning was whether we would feel like we would miss out on stuff because he would be so little. We took him to WDW for his 1st birthday (obviously more for us to enjoy since he won't remember) and it was a blast! I just worry since DL is so much smaller that if we are also unable to take him on as much that maybe we'd feel like we were missing out?
There are actually more rides in DLR's two parks than WDW's four. You can still rider swap the big stuff and I feel like there are fewer rides with height restrictions (but I haven't actually researched) plus at 2 1/2 he might be big enough for some of his first big boy rides, and where better than Disney to introduce him to roller coasters?

I think there is more than enough to do with him, and depending on your touring style, you may feel like you didn't see everything you wanted to see because there wasn't enough time! I recommend taking advantage of Rider Swap, Single Rider lines, and FPs for the rides your son would be too little to go on. IMO, the fact that DLR is so small makes it easier with little ones. No folding up the stroller for park hopping! I have been to both WDW several times with kids and without, and while there are some things I miss, DL has become my favorite because it feels more manageable to me, especially on a shorter trip.

In 2015 we took our son at 17 months old. (I have a trip report from it in my signature if you're bored...ha!) We flew from Nebraska. Had a layover in Vegas. The flying was the worst part, of course. Our son threw up on the first leg of the flight. And was cranky on some of the others. Other passengers didn't seem too annoyed (and even if they were...too bad. We have every right to be there too.) He did really well in the parks and on rides. He really liked the characters. Our son wasn't that steady on his feet yet so that was difficult for us. He had to be in the stroller a lot which made him mad. But overall, it was a great time. We're planning to head back next year (he's 3 now.)

I highly recommend going to both parks, if you go. You can walk back and forth between them which is so much easier than WDW. We are waiting to take our son to WDW when he is no longer stroller aged.

If you go in January/February...keep in mind that a lot of rides and attractions will be closed. If this is a one-time-only trip...you may want to wait until all rides are open.

No. we went to dlr annually as a couple. The trips have changed with kids but we're not missing out.

Our oldests first plane ride was from Seattle to NYC. It was a beeeze having the child in the car seat. For others reading...we always buy our babies seats!!! So worth it.

I say go for it. The trips to WDW when our girls were 2 years old are my favorite trips (one for each girl). Even with the long flights and the naps and the strollers. (Come to think about it, strollers are awesome - contain the kids, a place for your stuff like snacks and water bottles - sad that they are too old for strollers now.)

He won't remember, but you will.

My oldest loved Jo Jo Circus (anyone remember that show). On her first trip, she got Jo Jo and Goliath alone at DHS for like 20 minutes, first thing in the morning. Best Character Interaction EVER!!!! Never seen her so happy. Pictures are amazing. True, we didn't ride much that trip, but it was okay. It was the perfect introduction to Disney parks. And I love how the characters are with the little ones.

I think you would have fun for sure! But I also agree I am not sure you will see DL in its best light during Jan or Feb. It is typically when refurbs are going on. Will the train and riverboat be back online then? There usually are no fireworks during the weekdays so I think, as a veteran DWEer, you would really miss them.

I do think you would really enjoy staying at VGC--we love it there so much! You will really like being able to just walk into a park and take the easy breezy stroll back and forth between both parks -- not having to take Disney transport or any other transport is a dream! The ease of spending time at two parks and DTD all by walking out your door is really nice.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. One of my all time fave Mom memories happened on our trip to DW with our 2yo DD......I will never forget her sitting on my DH's shoulders and yelling out "Mickey!" as soon as she saw him in the parade. Both DH and I burst into tears! It was a magical moment for sure.

The railroad and riverboat will still be closed in January/February.

I don't think there will be any parades at California Adventure because of the Tower of Terror construction.

Not sure what the parade situation will be like at Disneyland but it may be limited as well during that time.

I also heard Pirates may be going down briefly at some point during that time to spruce it up before the anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter