Diversity & Inclusion in Main Street USA

TikiLagoon

Earning My Ears
I was listening to Len Testas recent podcast and he was talking about Disney taking this opportunity to update the music on mainstreet to include music that reflects diversity and inclusion.

I think Mainstreet music should never be changed especially when the reasoning is that the music doesn’t reflect diversity. I think EVERYONE walking through the gates enjoys the music that matches the theming and era of Mainstreet USA. I think this whole diversity talk is at a point where it has nothing to do with people bieng offended, correcting mistakes, and more with showcasing control and power of people at the expense of changing things that EVERYONE has loved throughout the years of their lives.

what are your thoughts?

What did he have in mind as far as changing the music? Did he make suggestions?

They could add jazz? Blues? Not sure what music to represent other cultures. I'm sure he didn't mean modern music.

Main Street America of today IS much more diverse than old-timey Americana. But old-timey does have a fun kitsch factor.

I'd have to hear what kind of music. To truly represent the diversity of America today it would have to be a whole mish mash of music! 😀

Last edited:
I think I'm tired of hearing people say things shouldn't change....
I know that's going to come off as a knock - it's not.

I don't have an opinion on the music either way but I do think the argument that just because something has been a certain way since its inception, it cannot change because if it did, it would inherently change the entire thing - doesn't hold water anymore.

I'm not saying that's what you're saying - but I have heard this particular narrative used a lot recently - and I think it's weak.

Obviously the argument can be made that Main Street is meant to represent a time period in America that the music supposedly currently represents (except not really because there were Italian, Irish, Polish, Asian and so many other immigrants from other countries that actually built America, but I digress).

If they wanted to accurately represent the America of today, then I think the time period of Main Street would need to completely change.

Would love to read ideas, could be interesting!

Most of the current music on Main Street doesn't actually represent the era. Much of it was written in the middle of the 20th century. Put on your Sunday Clothes from Hello Dolly (1964), The Trolley Song from Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), Fortuosity from Happiest Millionaire (1967). It is more nostalgia factor than actual music of the era, which is fine, I like nostalgia...but if you really want authentic turn of the century music (1890 to 1910) many of the popular songs were quite racist. If Disney wants to introduce some more diverse music into the mix, fine...Jazz, Blues, will work...but even then it likely would not meet your criteria of being authentic to the portrayed era.

Most of the current music on Main street doesn't actually represent the era. Much of it was written in the middle of the 20th century. Put on your Sunday Clothes from Hello Dolly (1964), The Trolley Song from Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), Fortuosity from Happiest Millionaire (1967) It is more nostalgia factor than actual music of the era, which is fine, I like nostalgia...but if you really want authentic turn of the century music (1890 to 1910) many of the popular songs were quite racist. If Disney wants to introduce some more diverse music into the mix, fine...Jazz, Blues, will work...but even then it likely would not meet your criteria of being authentic to the portrayed era.

Okay you said what I meant to say, but much better!

It is said Mainstreet USA is based on Fort Collins, CO and Marceline, MO. Missouri was a hotbed of music at the turn-of-the 20th century. Blues, jazz, country, blue grass. And Sedalia, MO, where Scott Joplin lived, basically became the home of ragtime. You'd really object to them throwing a little ragtime in there? That's pretty darn authentic to the era.

I was listening to Len Testas recent podcast and he was talking about Disney taking this opportunity to update the music on mainstreet to include music that reflects diversity and inclusion.

I think Mainstreet music should never be changed especially when the reasoning is that the music doesn’t reflect diversity. I think EVERYONE walking through the gates enjoys the music that matches the theming and era of Mainstreet USA. I think this whole diversity talk is at a point where it has nothing to do with people bieng offended, correcting mistakes, and more with showcasing control and power of people at the expense of changing things that EVERYONE has loved throughout the years of their lives.

what are your thoughts?

I agree 100%. Everywhere doesn't have to be everything to everyone all the time. It's a period themed area modeled after real places. It make no more sense to modify it for diversity and inclusion than it does to add Asian accents and music to the Poly in order to make it more diverse or inclusive for Asians.

It is said Mainstreet USA is based on Fort Collins, CO and Marceline, MO. Missouri was a hotbed of music at the turn-of-the 20th century. Blues, jazz, country, blue grass. And Sedalia, MO, where Scott Joplin lived, basically became the home of ragtime. You'd really object to them throwing a little ragtime in there? That's pretty darn authentic to the era.

Change for accuracy I can agree with. If that brings in some diversity, even better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter