Disrespectful comment ??

And as for the person who thinks you were disrespectful for commenting that you felt YOUR DAUGHTER was showing too much skin....WT???? I think you had every right to ask your daughter to dress more appropriately. She is your child and unless she's an adult, you are well within your rights, and in my opinion - your duties, as a mother to request that your child button up.

I do think it might be a good idea to have a conversation with her later, just the two of you, about how he treats her and about having respect for herself.

I don't think the previous poster had a problem with the mom saying anything - but that she would say it in front of the boyfriend. And that was disrespectful.
It goes with treating others (including your kids) the way you want to be treated. If I had a wardrobe issue (button too low, zipper down, TP stuck to my shoe or whatever) I'd be embarrassed if it was announced loudly in front of everyone and would prefer it being mentioned quietly.

100% disrespectful.

Your daughter was also disrespecting you. Maybe you should have spoken to her in private?

I'm just trying to imagine my husband standing there and hearing a boy describe any part of our daughter as "the goods." I think he'd put the kabosh on that kind of talk real fast, regardless of how the boy meant it.

I don't think the previous poster had a problem with the mom saying anything - but that she would say it in front of the boyfriend. And that was disrespectful.
It goes with treating others (including your kids) the way you want to be treated. If I had a wardrobe issue (button too low, zipper down, TP stuck to my shoe or whatever) I'd be embarrassed if it was announced loudly in front of everyone and would prefer it being mentioned quietly.

Again...the original poster posted again later saying she didn't know he was standing right there. So no, she was not trying to embarrass her daughter and she was not being disrespectful.

How old? 14, 16, 18, 20?

What was his tone? A smile and a laugh or a leering, pervert grin with a machismo attitude?

To tell you the truth, we're pretty "joking" in my house and, had I reprimanded my daughter for having her chest hanging out, I can imagine her and her older friends cracking some joke about it. I would probably have never pointed that out in front of her date/boyfriend so maybe the joke was a way to break the tension.

Overly, I don't find it disrespectful.

I agree. It sounded like he was teasing his girlfriend.

How old? 14, 16, 18, 20?

What was his tone? A smile and a laugh or a leering, pervert grin with a machismo attitude?

To tell you the truth, we're pretty "joking" in my house and, had I reprimanded my daughter for having her chest hanging out, I can imagine her and her older friends cracking some joke about it. I would probably have never pointed that out in front of her date/boyfriend so maybe the joke was a way to break the tension.

Overly, I don't find it disrespectful.

I was thinking the same thing. To me it depends on how it was said and his attitude about it. He may have just been making a joke, albeit a tasteless one, in front of his girlfriend's mom.

I think it's rather unfair to assume he's a rude, disrespectful pig based on this 1 comment. To the OP, do you think it was disrespectful because he said it in front of you or that he said it at all?

I find it disgusting and disrespectful that he said it to her and in my house in front of me. Disrespectful towards her and women. It was his answer or comment regarding what I said.

I agree. It sounded like he was teasing his girlfriend.

I don't think the problem was with teasing his girlfriend it was that he did it in front of a parent. What parent wants to hear a boyfriend talking about their daughters goods?

That never would have flown in front of my father he would have freaked. I would have freaked if my boyfriend said it in front of my father!

I find it disgusting and disrespectful that he said it to her and in my house in front of me. Disrespectful towards her and women. It was his answer or comment regarding what I said.

Was he trying to be funny?

Was he trying to be funny?

Doesn't matter. Still disrespectful.

And this...

I don't think the problem was with teasing his girlfriend it was that he did it in front of a parent. What parent wants to hear a boyfriend talking about their daughters goods?

That never would have flown in front of my father he would have freaked. I would have freaked if my boyfriend said it in front of my father!

:thumbsup2

If that kid said that in front of me, I'd take him out back and shove my foot in you know what.

Again...the original poster posted again later saying she didn't know he was standing right there. So no, she was not trying to embarrass her daughter and she was not being disrespectful.
Right. And I believe that. Typical DIS "remembered" information.

She made a point in her first post to say that she said it in front of the boyfriend.

Doesn't make sense that she wouldn't have added that critical little detail that she didn't know he was standing there in the first post.

Well, I wasn't asking you since you weren't there.

I didn't realize that feeble attempts at humor, in your opinion, gives individuals free reign to act however they so choose.

The fact that he was "funny" in front of his girlfriend's parents also says another thing about him...he's dumb.

My daughter was getting ready to leave the house and I said to her in front of her boyfriend that her shirt was to low to button one button and he replied
"SHOWING OFF THE GOODS" right in front of me. I find it arrogant and disrespectful. Agree of disagree

I did not realize he was right there and that would give no one a cause for disrespect regardless just as if a women has something showy on that she is asking for it?

The Rule.

I didn't realize that feeble attempts at humor, in your opinion, gives individuals free reign to act however they so choose.

The fact that he was "funny" in front of his girlfriend's parents also says another thing about him...he's dumb.

That is a large assumption on your part and incorrect as well.

I would have gently put my hand on his shoulder, called his name and invited him back in the house for a talk about how to respect my daughter.

I think the bulb was a bit dim myself.
dim_bulb1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter