DisneyWorld and Ankle Injury

ahiddenfarm

Earning My Ears
I have an upcoming trip to Disney the end of January. However, a couple of weeks ago I had an ankle injury. It's not broken, but was pretty mangled. It is slowly improving. I overdid it a couple of times and was back to square one. I'm behaving myself now. I'm able to hobble around on crutches, and put some weight on it, and even walk very small distances without the crutches (to the bathroom or fridge, etc). I use the scooters if I go to the grocery store, etc. It's my left ankle so I'm able to drive once I get myself into the car (huge truck). I'm hoping in the next three weeks it continues to improve dramatically as I'm taking it easy and it is slowly getting better, but I'm afraid that even with the best case scenario, it will not hold up to 7 nonstop days at Disney with my 6 kids/son-in-law/exchange students (16-29 and I'm 50). They are going to want to go, go, go, since it's the two exchange students one and only chance to visit most likely, and I don't want to slow them all down, and I don't want to set myself back to page one with the ankle. One of the 16 yo's (my dd) has high functioning autism and the 20yo has a rather severe anxiety disorder. They both do extremely well when I'm around but not quite as well when I'm not. So the more I can be with them during the day and not hanging out in the hotel room, the better. The three of us have been to Disney within the last year so we're not so concerned with seeing "everything" and can split up a bit from the others for me to rest, etc. if need be. We will be staying in two rooms at the AllStars Music Resort (one for boys, one for girls). This is definitely a budget trip that wasn't planned as we just went in the fall, but we wanted to make it happen for the 2 exchange students.
If you're still with me through all of this background info, thank you!
I am trying to plan for our trip to have the least interference from my injury. It's not overly painful unless I overdo it, and I'm not on any painkillers other than an occasional Advil. However, at 50, I only last so long on crutches before completely tiring out. My concerns are solely mobility. I'm know I can't last 7 days on crutches. I really don't want my kids to have to push a wheelchair for 7 days either although they certainly would if I needed them to, and there are 6 of them altogether to take turns. I would like to be able to be independent, also, though, and be able to get a drink/go to the restroom on my own without help. I'm thinking my best bet is to rent a ecv. For anyone who has experience with this, what would you recommend? I can rent one at the parks during the day but it seems like they cannot leave the parks so I'd be on crutches to get back to the hotel or move park to park. I don't think that's a good idea. I can rent one from a third part company and have it delivered to the hotel, I believe? This might be a good option, but then, of course, I have to get from my home state to Florida without it. This is possible if I request wheelchairs at the airports I believe. We will be using the Magical Express bus and the Disney hotel buses while we're there except for one day we are renting a van to go to the beach for the day. My son in law and son can help me hobble down to the beach and back that one day. My final option is to rent a scooter in my home state and return it when I get home. I'm not sure of the logistics of this or even if taking a rental onto the airlines and out of state is allowable or adviseable. I am open to any and all advice or even other options. I have no experience with any of this and really don't even know what I need to consider! I would really appreciate any advice!

I would rent an ECV from off site since you use one at the story some times any way you should be better off them some people my be get a folding cain for the short distance you have to walk like from the ECV to the ride to help ( there really is more walking then you think even with an wheel chair ECV.

I am not sure about airports I think you can if you let them know a head of time,

yes some vender will drop off at bell service and some you will have to meet.

I would suggest renting an ECV from an outside vendor in FL. My favorite is Walker Mobility but they will need to meet you rather than leaving the ECV with bell services. Some companies have ECVs that let you attach a cane or crutches to the back of the seat, safely. You need to ask for these clips and they may charge extra. Ask when you call the ECV company. Take a small bungee cord in case the clip gets weak. Be sure to charge the battery for the ECV nightly in your room. I have never stayed at a value resort but have seen comments that you need to have the table taken out of the room for the ECV to fit comfortably. We stay off park and only bring the batteries from the car at night. Hopefully someone else can chime in on room size at Music. ECVs rented for WDW will be faster and lighter than the ones at the grocery store. Move slowly at first. Think dump truck to Mustang car in speed and turning radius.

Call your airline and declare yourself disabled for this trip. Make sure they have it for the return flight as well. The wheel chair pusher will get you to the gate and I believe to the Magic Express. The wheel chair pushers often work for tips. They also really move thru the airport at "light speed". They even fly thru security. Tell the rest of your party to be prepared to run thru the airport. Or do what we do, split up and meet at the gate.

Have fun and take it easy on that ankle.

Remember that medical equipment (like walkers, crutches, Rollators, wheel chairs and ECVs) flies free - larger items will go into a hold under the plane once you are on board down at the gate. Smaller items (like crutches or canes) can often be stored in the coat closets in the cabin - Gate Agents and Flight Attendants will assist you with that.

If you have a friend, family member, church member, etc. who has a wheel chair you can borrow for the trip, then you and your family can be more independent at the airport(s). Plus you will be able to just fold it and store it at the Resort, but it will be there for you when you are ready to fly home again!

Some Churches, Masonic/Eastern Star Lodges, and other local organizations will have a "lending closet" where you can borrow a wheelchair. Just an option!

And I agree with you - rent an ECV from off-site at WDW, and have it delivered to the Resort. Take a few minutes when you first get it to see how it starts, stops, turns, handles curb cuts and ramps, etc. while you are still at the Resort - it will make you feel so much more confident!

I hope you continue to heal swiftly and completely - have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it as I'm very nervous about this trip now. A friend IS loaning me a wheelchair so that should make the airports go much smoother! I will take the advice to call the airport and declare myself disabled for this trip. We are still trying to decide whether or not to rent the ecv once there or just use the wheelchair. My thoughts are it will make me less dependent on others to push me around (the wheelchair has the big self propelled wheels, but I'm sure I won't be able to do that all day long myself when I'm not used to it). My kids assure me that they don't mind pushing me, and there are plenty of them to take turns doing so. So I'm torn! The girls room will have FOUR of us staying in it, (3 for the boys room) so we're already going to be very crowded! The thought of squeezing in an ecv is a little daunting. Then again, I think it might really make the trip more enjoyable for everyone. I think my kids are concerned with the cost for me (but I don't think they're terribly expensive to rent) and also the speed. I'll mention to them that they are nothing like the super market scooters which are so slow. Their other concern was battery charge, but I'm sure there must be places in the park to recharge if needed? I don't mind sitting and reading a book for a little while if need be while the kids go do their thing for a while. Or can you rent an extra battery? Or does the battery last all day? (I have no idea how long it takes to recharge one.) This was such terrible timing!
The other problem is we called and no accessible rooms are available at the resort and they can't even guarantee me a ground floor room so I may be dealing with stairs and a tub for our stay. I have both of those at home so I know I can manage, but I also know I'll be exhausted by nighttime and how on earth would I get a scooter upstairs. Are they super heavy? Thankfully I'll have my two sons (one is an exchange student son) and son-in-law to help. All are confident that it will work out fine and want me to come. I'm nervous that I'm going to be a pain for everyone!

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it as I'm very nervous about this trip now. A friend IS loaning me a wheelchair so that should make the airports go much smoother! I will take the advice to call the airport and declare myself disabled for this trip. We are still trying to decide whether or not to rent the ecv once there or just use the wheelchair. My thoughts are it will make me less dependent on others to push me around (the wheelchair has the big self propelled wheels, but I'm sure I won't be able to do that all day long myself when I'm not used to it). My kids assure me that they don't mind pushing me, and there are plenty of them to take turns doing so. So I'm torn! The girls room will have FOUR of us staying in it, (3 for the boys room) so we're already going to be very crowded! The thought of squeezing in an ecv is a little daunting. Then again, I think it might really make the trip more enjoyable for everyone. I think my kids are concerned with the cost for me (but I don't think they're terribly expensive to rent) and also the speed. I'll mention to them that they are nothing like the super market scooters which are so slow. Their other concern was battery charge, but I'm sure there must be places in the park to recharge if needed? I don't mind sitting and reading a book for a little while if need be while the kids go do their thing for a while. Or can you rent an extra battery? Or does the battery last all day? (I have no idea how long it takes to recharge one.) This was such terrible timing!
The other problem is we called and no accessible rooms are available at the resort and they can't even guarantee me a ground floor room so I may be dealing with stairs and a tub for our stay. I have both of those at home so I know I can manage, but I also know I'll be exhausted by nighttime and how on earth would I get a scooter upstairs. Are they super heavy? Thankfully I'll have my two sons (one is an exchange student son) and son-in-law to help. All are confident that it will work out fine and want me to come. I'm nervous that I'm going to be a pain for everyone!

pushing a wheel chair all day in the park can be very tiering I would at lest have a few number of ECV venders in Orlando that you can call if you find you need to

for the most part the battery should last all day as long as you turn it off when not moving so like when eating, watch the parade or just deciding on where to go next turn it off take the key out. ( if you do rent an ECV)

I think all the hotel room have elevator (may be one or tow do not ) so you should be ok there.

Oh, that is a relief about the elevators, if so. I thought a lot of the value resorts did not have them. I'll have to doublecheck that. That's probably my main concern about the ECV is if we're not on the main floor. I do also still have time to cancel our onsite reservation as it's a room only reservation. We could stay offsite then in a condo for probably not too much more than the two rooms and have plenty of room for everything. The only thing is we have to rent a van the entire trip then. Three of us are annual Passholders so we'd get free parking in the parks anyway. This trip has become very complicated. I would cancel and reschedule later, but then the two exchange students would not have another chance to go so I'm trying to just press on. When my son called to see about accessible rooms he was scolded for waiting so long to reserve one. lol Well, we didn't need an accessible room when we made the reservation!

Oh, that is a relief about the elevators, if so. I thought a lot of the value resorts did not have them. I'll have to doublecheck that. That's probably my main concern about the ECV is if we're not on the main floor. I do also still have time to cancel our onsite reservation as it's a room only reservation. We could stay offsite then in a condo for probably not too much more than the two rooms and have plenty of room for everything. The only thing is we have to rent a van the entire trip then. Three of us are annual Passholders so we'd get free parking in the parks anyway. This trip has become very complicated. I would cancel and reschedule later, but then the two exchange students would not have another chance to go so I'm trying to just press on. When my son called to see about accessible rooms he was scolded for waiting so long to reserve one. lol Well, we didn't need an accessible room when we made the reservation!
the values resorts do have them for sure I stay at them a lot ( about 40-50 night a year) have out thought about just taking the buss at Disney I find this so much easer then driving

but trust me ( the one who has to know what is going to happen and plane for anything and every thing in case something dose go wrong) Disney is very good at helping guest out and helping guest with disabilities to have a fun time you will be fine you will have a great time will you do things a little different this time yes will this ruin your trip no will you have things happen both good and bad this trip yes this is Disney and even thought it is the most magical place things do happen things come up and we must learn to adapt to it.

if you find something is not working for you make sure a CM know so that they can help you out with what ever is going on.

That was the plan to use the Disney buses. Which is why we rented two value resort rooms instead of a house. I wanted to make transportation easy. I still think this is a good plan because if I get too tired I could go back to the room (if I rent a scooter) and the others don't have to stop. We are renting a van one day to take the kids to the beach, but we planned to just use the buses the rest of the time as they seemed very wheelchair/scooter friendly the last trip we went on (when we exclusively used buses). I guess I just panicked when my son called about the room and they told him they couldn't guarantee him anything (ground floor, elevator, accessible room). I'm thinking maybe we'll call back and see if maybe another cm would be more helpful if we explain the situation. I'm not super picky. I just need a ground room or a building with an elevator. We have two rooms which we'd like to be as close as possible (so my sons can help me if I need it) but as long as one is a ground room or a building with an elevator then it will be fine.

Witch hotel are you staying at also check in as soon as you can they may not have your room ready but you can ask were it is and if you do not like it then you will have a better chance of being moved to a room you like

Most resorts have elevators.

To my knowledge, CBR does not have elevators in any building and OKW has some buildings without elevators. I think all other resorts have elevators. If staying at CBR or OKW, I suggest calling to have it noted on your reservation that you will have a mobility device and cannot do stairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

Also if staying at Port Orleans Riverside, the Alligator Bayou section doesn't have elevators. But it sounds like the OP is staying at a Value.

We are staying at the value resort All Music Stars and from what I can see, all buildings do have elevators. I guess the CM did not know this. That helps immensely!

yes all star music dose have elivators in all the buildings so you will have no problem getting in our out of any room ( floor you have)

Have a great time

I wouldn't worry about the accessible room. If you do find you need a shower chair during your trip, you can call down and they will bring one to your room. You can also have them remove the table and chairs from the room to give you more space for the ECV if you decide to rent one. I don't know the exact cost, but I think an Ecv will run around $200 for the week. The battery should last all day as long as you charge it at night.

I rented one in September at music and it was no problem at all. We were on the third floor and it was easy to use the elevator.

I spoke earlier to you but a few more comments. I still think an ECV is the way to go if it is in the budget. Store it at night in the boys room if there are less persons in there. Have one of the boys push/drive it to their room for the night. Call them and have them verify it is plugged in and charging. Mine hums when it charges. Many have a charging light. Be sure you understand how to charge it from the rental company. Have them show one of the boys and they can take responsibility to get it plugged in. Check that the outlet has power if the room lights are turned out!!!! That caught us by surprise one day.

You will not hold the group back on the scooter. You maybe able to outrun them if there were no crowds. I had rented for 15 years before buying a re-purposed rental last year. I have only had one battery problem on a rental and showed up the first day. The battery light was dropping way too fast. I called the company and asked for a different scooter. They brought me one with no questions asked. I practice battery conservation at every opportunity now on my own scooter and we get 13 hours of use easily on an overnight charge. (Length of charge depends on your weight and conservation diligence.) You will be able to add a medium backpack to the back of the seat to carry coats for the others and the front basket is great for everybody's water bottle. Don't put valuables in the backpack if you leave the scooter unattended.

I think the borrowed wheelchair will be an extra hassle but that is just me. I know I cannot push myself in mine.

Relax just a bit and plan to have fun with a scooter.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate it! I am feeling much more confident now. We've decided to use the borrowed wheelchair to get me through the airport coming and going and then rent a scooter through Walker Mobility as recommended in one of the posts. Also, another friend of mine is bringing over her daughter's scooter for me to use for the next two weeks before our trip so I can stay off the ankle as much as possible. So things are looking up! And that's a good idea about keeping it in the boy room. There are only 3 of them and they won't have near the "stuff"! Also, my son-in-law is a mechanic (teaches as well) so I have no doubt he'll be able to dismantle/charge/maneuver it as needed. I'm feeling much better about the entire trip! I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter