Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there fellow Dis-ers. I recently came into some DVC points from a very wonderful friend. We were thinking of going with Boulder Ridge for an early September trip. I was just at Geyser Point in March, and it looked like there was a fair bit left to go. I'm seeing different reports on the major construction finishing in July to match the Copper Creek opening. Others are talking more along the lines of December. Any thoughts on when the pool and landscaping are likely to be done on the current pace. It's been a personal dream to stay there, and I'd rather enjoy the Lodge for its intended set up. vs. its current state.

Thanks!

If you check in and get to your room and it isn't what you requested, go talk to the front desk. They will try to accommodate your request to the best of their ability. Sometimes that means you will have to wait a night to get a room that meets your request, but if you are willing to wait a night, they usually can accommodate you.

Thank you!

Sure, they have always included Deluxe resorts in Free Dining offers. I can't fathom where you'd hear otherwise.

How likely are they to fill a request? No one knows. In our experience they do if they can. But they can't always do it

Thank you!

You will have to open the wooden shutters to see out the window. But you won't hear the music. I watched the fireworks from the fifth floor window but fourth floor and higher would have the good view too.

We were there the week of the hurricane and also watched fireworks from those windows after it was too rainy to watch from the Poly (we had 'Ohana dinner). Although there is no music its a pretty good view with the shutters open.

Without having to read everything, can someone please tell me when all the construction will be finished? Thanks.

Most should be done in July as they are taking bookings for the new Copper Creek Villa rooms, so at least some of the cabins, the pool and the villas in the south wing should be open and Roaring Fork should be open again. I expect there will still be some tree planting and landscaping going on and the north cabins might not be open.

Without having to read everything, can someone please tell me when all the construction will be finished? Thanks.
Actually? NEVER.

When this project is done, there will be maintenance projects. Not Unique to the WL.... it happens everywhere.
What you really want to understand is the SCOPE of these projects. This is a big one.... but on a daily basis, it's a fair bet that SOMETHING is being fooled with at just about any resort :).

We just booked a split stay for September and we will be staying at boulder ridge for the first time for 5 nights. It's our first time ever at WL. I'm so excited. I've wanted to stay here forever but couldn't get DH on board. So on our trip last week, I suggested that we grab the contemporary/WL bus from HS because the poly line was so long I knew we'd never get on even the next one. He was already sick of standing there so he agreed. We hoped off at WL and walked around and he was sold- even with all the construction walls. He was always against split stays too, it I convinced him if we switched to 5/5 it would be the same points as the 8 nights at AKL that we had booked. So he agreed. :cheer2:So be ready for my questions.....First one, my kids want to know if you can see fireworks from anywhere at WL?

Actually? NEVER.

When this project is done, there will be maintenance projects. Not Unique to the WL.... it happens everywhere.
What you really want to understand is the SCOPE of these projects. This is a big one.... but on a daily basis, it's a fair bet that SOMETHING is being fooled with at just about any resort :).
How about when will the "big one"be done?:rotfl:

We just booked a split stay for September and we will be staying at boulder ridge for the first time for 5 nights. It's our first time ever at WL. I'm so excited. I've wanted to stay here forever but couldn't get DH on board. So on our trip last week, I suggested that we grab the contemporary/WL bus from HS because the poly line was so long I knew we'd never get on even the next one. He was already sick of standing there so he agreed. We hoped off at WL and walked around and he was sold- even with all the construction walls. He was always against split stays too, it I convinced him if we switched to 5/5 it would be the same points as the 8 nights at AKL that we had booked. So he agreed. :cheer2:So be ready for my questions.....First one, my kids want to know if you can see fireworks from anywhere at WL?
Some.
The Standard Rooms on the 4th, and up, floors can see them (no music piped in). There are some windows in the hall where you can see them too
You can see some fireworks at the Geyser Point bar, with music piped in, but only upper bursts

Hey everyone!

We're in the process of choosing our first Deluxe Hotel for a split stay and WL is really appealing :)

I've read parts of this great thread, but I'm still wondering about the bus service at this hotel : is it always shared with Fort Wilderness or other MK resorts? Is it that bad to have shared buses?

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone!

We're in the process of choosing our first Deluxe Hotel for a split stay and WL is really appealing :)

I've read parts of this great thread, but I'm still wondering about the bus service at this hotel : is it always shared with Fort Wilderness or other MK resorts? Is it that bad to have shared buses?

Thanks in advance!
We haven't stayed yet, but I know at the poly we shared with GF on slower times like in the afternoon, but first thing in the am we had our own. We always saw wilderness lodge share with contemporary. I'm assuming the same- at slower times. Maybe someone can confirm.

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

The bus transportation is on par with other Disney resorts. Experiences may vary, and you might get lucky and walk right on a bus or have to wait a long time, but that's the case with any of the resorts. In general Buses to parks other than MK stop and pick up at 1 resort on the way to the park, while MK buses go directly there (making it a short quick trip). Returning from parks WL often shares with Fort Wilderness, but is always the first stop. We love having the boat option too, since it is nice to take a trip on the lake to MK, FW, or CR.

There is lots of transportation info on the page at the beginning of the thread here. In general we love WL and find it to be a great fit for us, and a nice price point for a Deluxe resort.

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

We've had 5 or 6 stays at the WL. We've never shared a bus with another resort to/from the MK. The bus is by far the fastest way to get to the MK, though many people are fans of the boats. I personally like to boat back to the resort, but we always take the bus to the park because it's faster than the boat.

We've never NOT shared with another resort going to the other parks. Many times, though, it's just swinging into Ft. Wilderness to pick up people there. It really doesn't take long to stop at another resort.

PROBABLY fall 2017. New Pool? PROBABLY July 2017. But all of this is a guess - even on Disney's part. Having contracted work on our home? There is always a "deadline" :). With contractors, regardless of time, no one seems to die :). There is no shortage of shortages ("We can't get zzzz until May - so we can't do yyyy until June"). Building anything on a timeline is always a wish, not a promise :).

Now - bright side? Sandy and I have three trips to the WL under our belt - in full devastation mode :). We have enjoyed every one of them :). We will be back in April 2017 - and hoping for a DVC Construction View :).

Well, see here is the thing....

The good news is there is only so much they can do at WL, and they have already done a lot of it :-)

The bad news is they could always come up with something new !

In 2014, we booked before construction was announced and then voila, they were doing construction. The feature pool was closed. We still stayed there, but were offered compensation by Disney.

But we booked again for 2015, excited to be again at a constructionless WL.

Yep, you guessed it. They then announced more construction. No compensation this time, but we love WL so much we still stayed there anyway.

We are now booked for December 2017. We booked knowing CCV was being built. We are hopeful everything will be done by the time we visit (it looks like it will be done in June or July, with CCV opening in July).

BUT, given our track record part of me is just waiting for them to announce something *else* !!!

SW

I know it's just speculation, but I'm looking for some opinions from you experts while I pass the time.

I'm really, really hoping to rent DVC points for CCV for Presidents weekend in January (Friday-Tuesday) - our dates are firm, its following our disney cruise. Davids DVC lists the cost on it's website but said the earliest I can put in a request will be April 26.

I really hate to wait that long to put in a request, but that is the #1 place we want to stay. I keep thinking I should just put in a request for BRV now, just so I can get something, but I really want to hold out for CCV. I'm already kicking myself for not requesting BRV last month when the price was about $100 cheaper.

I keep going back and forth between 1) wait one more month and hope I can get our #1 request or 2) just put in a request now for BRV so we can be at WL and I won't need to worry about it for another month? WWYD?

Do you think there is any chance that I'll be able to get 4 nights over Presidents weekend at CCV 8 months out?

Thanks!

Ok, here's my educated guess - First, I'm assuming you're looking for a studio? If it's a 1 or 2BR then just wait because BRV will be available at 7 months if CCV can't be booked. Jan/Feb is not a real busy DVC time so I also think there's good possibility that the studios at BRV would also be available at 7 months so you could put in the request for CCV and if it can't be booked for some reason then BRV can be your backup. No guarantees of course but my DVC experience at that time of the year is that it's one of the easier times to book.

Hi there fellow Dis-ers. I recently came into some DVC points from a very wonderful friend. We were thinking of going with Boulder Ridge for an early September trip. I was just at Geyser Point in March, and it looked like there was a fair bit left to go. I'm seeing different reports on the major construction finishing in July to match the Copper Creek opening. Others are talking more along the lines of December. Any thoughts on when the pool and landscaping are likely to be done on the current pace. It's been a personal dream to stay there, and I'd rather enjoy the Lodge for its intended set up. vs. its current state.

Thanks!

I believe it was in the winter Disney Files (A DVC magazine of sorts) that DVC announced the quiet pool would be opening this summer. Once the CCV opening date was announced the speculation was that it will match up to around the same dates. Really, from what I've seen I would not think that would be an issue and expect the construction in that area to pretty much be done by the opening.

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

When we stayed there last week, the morning buses to Hollywood studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom went directly to the parks. They did not share with any resorts in the morning hours. We did not take the MK bus in the morning but it is usually direct, too.

The Disney Springs bus shared with the Contemporary and it was often filled with people using that bus to get to and from the Magic Kingdom.

The afternoon and evening buses share with another resort. The MK bus stops at the Settlement bus stop in Fort Wilderness for Hoop Dee Doo traffic. The Epcot bus stops at FW and the AK and HS buses stop at the Contemporary. But all of the return trips have WL as the first stop.

We loved the buses. No resort is going to have perfect buses, but these were pretty good. :)

How long is the boat ride to MK from the WL? We will be traveling with our who will be 3.5 year old daughter and our in laws so we chose WL for it being so beautiful but also for the boat to MK. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter