Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stayed here for the first time from 8/16-23 and had a great time!!! Hardly noticed the construction at all and we were even back at the resort a few times in the middle of the day. Yes, you'd hear a little bit walking from the bus stop to the lobby but that was about it. Could go to the pool, down to the boat dock, over to the DVC building (DH wanted to see the trains!) and never even really noticed anything. Yes, one side is still boarded up from the second floor up in the lobby, but it's so well disguised you have to really look for it to see it.

Advantage was that the pool wasn't crowded at all. And the buses were AMAZING! Never waited long at all and never had a crowded bus, even at park opening! One night the family crashed on me and I stayed for the electrical parade alone. Left shortly after that and got to ride the boat back to the Lodge and see the fireworks from Wishes. Another time, I stayed back to do a little shopping--to surprise the kids later--and had a private bus back to the resort! None of us ever had to stand on a bus--no one did on the buses we rode.

Loved the relaxed feel here, just chilling out in the lobby, or in front of the fireplace on the 4th floor.

We asked for a bunk bed room, not picky about where. I faxed in through Touring Plans and also had it noted on my reservation and requested it at online check-in. When I got the text that our room was ready, I was terribly disappointed because I checked the Touring Plans site and they had it listed as queen beds. When we arrived I went to the desk and asked if there was any way to be moved to a bunk bed room (2 teenage boys--both bed hogs who need their own space!). She said she really couldn't move us because she knew all the bunk bed rooms were taken, someone else had come down a bit earlier and asked the same thing. But, surprise!, when she checked which room I was in, it actually had bunk beds!

We even had a view of the fireworks from our balcony. Not perfect, a few trees obscuring some of the lower ones, but it was great none the less.

Overall, it was a wonderful stay and I'm so glad we didn't let the construction scare us away. My kids were thrilled--this is their dream resort and I didn't let them know until we were on our way! Boy are they going to have a hard time come April when they go on a trip with their H.S. band and are staying at All Star Music! Now that they've seen this, I don't think there's any going back!

Stayed here for the first time from 8/16-23 and had a great time!!! Hardly noticed the construction at all and we were even back at the resort a few times in the middle of the day. Yes, you'd hear a little bit walking from the bus stop to the lobby but that was about it. Could go to the pool, down to the boat dock, over to the DVC building (DH wanted to see the trains!) and never even really noticed anything. Yes, one side is still boarded up from the second floor up in the lobby, but it's so well disguised you have to really look for it to see it.

Advantage was that the pool wasn't crowded at all. And the buses were AMAZING! Never waited long at all and never had a crowded bus, even at park opening! One night the family crashed on me and I stayed for the electrical parade alone. Left shortly after that and got to ride the boat back to the Lodge and see the fireworks from Wishes. Another time, I stayed back to do a little shopping--to surprise the kids later--and had a private bus back to the resort! None of us ever had to stand on a bus--no one did on the buses we rode.

Loved the relaxed feel here, just chilling out in the lobby, or in front of the fireplace on the 4th floor.

We asked for a bunk bed room, not picky about where. I faxed in through Touring Plans and also had it noted on my reservation and requested it at online check-in. When I got the text that our room was ready, I was terribly disappointed because I checked the Touring Plans site and they had it listed as queen beds. When we arrived I went to the desk and asked if there was any way to be moved to a bunk bed room (2 teenage boys--both bed hogs who need their own space!). She said she really couldn't move us because she knew all the bunk bed rooms were taken, someone else had come down a bit earlier and asked the same thing. But, surprise!, when she checked which room I was in, it actually had bunk beds!

We even had a view of the fireworks from our balcony. Not perfect, a few trees obscuring some of the lower ones, but it was great none the less.

Overall, it was a wonderful stay and I'm so glad we didn't let the construction scare us away. My kids were thrilled--this is their dream resort and I didn't let them know until we were on our way! Boy are they going to have a hard time come April when they go on a trip with their H.S. band and are staying at All Star Music! Now that they've seen this, I don't think there's any going back!

Thanks for posting about your stay, @VillainFavs. Once you stay Deluxe, it is very hard to downgrade. TP's information is frequently spotty, but that seemed to work to your advantage. Glad you got the bunks and I hope you get to plan another stay at WL soon.

:wave:Kook!!!! Your vaca is FAST approaching!! You know whAt this means!!!!! :dancer:

Should we be on the lookout for you??? :car: OR :moped: OR pixiedust::teleport: ???

Oh, and look below!:woohoo:

:hug::mickeybar

:wave:

I'm getting pre-departure panic jitters so thank you for your post - it made me smile. Flying down Monday and you should be on the lookout for a link to my LIVE TR;). I think it'll be much easier for me to post to one TR rather than my three resort threads. This will be truly a trip of FIRSTS! Nervous and excited!

Have you planned yet where your anniversary dinner will be? Artist Point?

I'm getting pre-departure panic jitters so thank you for your post - it made me smile. Flying down Monday and you should be on the lookout for a link to my LIVE TR;). I think it'll be much easier for me to post to one TR rather than my three resort threads. This will be truly a trip of FIRSTS! Nervous and excited!

You are very brave! Can't wait to share along with you!

No on Artist Pointe.... Staying far away from WL this time as we will cry a river of tears for many reasons.
I would trust your recommendations on an anniversary dinner tho.... We were leaning towards the NEW Flying Fish.

Just wanted to say have a fantastic solo trip Kook! I'm very envious!! I'll be on the lookout for your live TR link, can't wait to hear all about it! :wizard:

I was really considering booking here for Marathon Weekend (Jan 2017) for my husband and I. We have wanted to visit this resort for a while but our trips seems to always coincide with construction here! Maybe we should just bite the bullet and book it anyway??

I'd say go for it! I've had 2 reservations that I cancelled at the lodge because I got freaked out over construction. My son and I visited the lodge in June when we stayed at the Contemporary and loved it. I've since booked 2 stays there, one for early December and one for February and I'm so excited! I think it will be fantastic when all the construction is done but it's still a very magical place.

You'll be checking in at the Lodge on Monday? As will my GF and I.

It's day 8, our last day here,leaving in the morning. Happy to be here,sad for leaving. We did a lot over the week,including breakfast at Kona,Afternoon Tea at GF,lunch at Sanaa with side trip to Lodge. As beautiful as those resorts are, WL wins for most peaceful. Granted,there are so fewer people here right now,but the way the WL lobby is set up,with separate areas,people do their own thing and the sound doesn't travel, so the children coloring on the big tables surrounded by the lounge chairs, don't disturb the people reading in front of the fireplace,or the family having conversations in the middle.
This will be the first time we've come here without booking a future BB date,though. The only offer for BB is free dining and we're interested in RO discounts. The usual calendar showing value season dates aren't even in the room pamphlet anymore. We had to call Disney directly to find the value season dates. They're not exactly sending out the Can't Wait To See You Again For A Discount vibes.......

It's day 8, our last day here,leaving in the morning. Happy to be here,sad for leaving. We did a lot over the week,including breakfast at Kona,Afternoon Tea at GF,lunch at Sanaa with side trip to Lodge. As beautiful as those resorts are, WL wins for most peaceful. Granted,there are so fewer people here right now,but the way the WL lobby is set up,with separate areas,people do their own thing and the sound doesn't travel, so the children coloring on the big tables surrounded by the lounge chairs, don't disturb the people reading in front of the fireplace,or the family having conversations in the middle.
This will be the first time we've come here without booking a future BB date,though. The only offer for BB is free dining and we're interested in RO discounts. The usual calendar showing value season dates aren't even in the room pamphlet anymore. We had to call Disney directly to find the value season dates. They're not exactly sending out the Can't Wait To See You Again For A Discount vibes.......
I'm glad you had such a great trip, and enjoyed following your updates. By chance do you remember the dates for the free dining bounce back? The wheels in my head are already turning...

2017 bounce back

Free dining for 2017 (released 8/1/2016)

Dates are ...
5/30-6/6/17
6/30-7/5/17
8/11-9/9/17
12/8-12/20/17

Offer appears to end 9/30/16, but some people have been told that it is really 10/31

Excluded resorts:

• Fort Wilderness Campsites
  • All-Star Movies
  • 3-bedroom villas
  • Port Orleans French Quarter
  • Port Orleans Riverside (Dec. 8 – Dec. 20, 2017)
  • Villas along the Disney monorail line
  • Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – Little Mermaid rooms

At least they get to stay onsite! Both band trips we chaperoned were off site and I didn't take to kindly to that! :rotfl: DH and I are staying at All Star Music in December. We'd have LOVED to go back to WL but sort of a spur or the moment trip and we decided to splurge on "perks" instead of a resort since our trip will be really "laid back". A little nervous about the decision but didn't want to spend the vacation savings now...want to wait until next year when entire family can go. So glad you enjoyed WL...it's one of my favorite resorts. :tink:

You are very brave! Can't wait to share along with you!

No on Artist Pointe.... Staying far away from WL this time as we will cry a river of tears for many reasons.
I would trust your recommendations on an anniversary dinner tho.... We were leaning towards the NEW Flying Fish.

Though I've not been there, it seems I should recommend V&A for your very special anniversary:snooty::love:. You can walk right over from Poly and amble back;)

Just wanted to say have a fantastic solo trip Kook! I'm very envious!! I'll be on the lookout for your live TR link, can't wait to hear all about it! :wizard:

Thanks so much, @cinderkelly. It's nice to see some enthusiasm here on the DIS. Several acquaintances I've told look puzzled when I tell them about my plans. You'd think I was going to North Korea or Sudan...

You'll be checking in at the Lodge on Monday? As will my GF and I.

No, CR Tower Club is first, followed by BC and finally, GF RPC. But, I will be hopping the Blue Flag over to take plenty of photos. I hope you and your DGF have a great stay:)

You were very busy and got to do plenty of firsts. Safe travels over to FLL to wish dad a very happy 95th!! You should be further away from Hermine so that's a plus.

Not having read through the previous 218 pages, sorry if this question was already addressed. I've been searching for a passholder (or even general public) room-only discount for Wilderness Lodge for early November, but it still looks like they only have availability at rack rates. If WL is as uncrowded as people are saying, does anyone know why there are no discounts? Thanks in advance.

Not having read through the previous 218 pages, sorry if this question was already addressed. I've been searching for a passholder (or even general public) room-only discount for Wilderness Lodge for early November, but it still looks like they only have availability at rack rates. If WL is as uncrowded as people are saying, does anyone know why there are no discounts? Thanks in advance.
WL is not crowded because the entire south wing is closed, leaving only half of the rooms with guests in them.

There aren't very many discounts for any deluxe resort in November right now. But they might open some rooms later for discounts. It is only Sept 1st. :)

For one thing, even though park attendance is down the resort attendance was reported as being up. If they are busier than normal then no need to discount.

I just had an email from Disney Destinations this morning with discounts for November & December - including 20% off at WL & WL Villa's -- here are the details including dates.

Thank you for the replies.

There aren't very many discounts for any deluxe resort in November right now. But they might open some rooms later for discounts. It is only Sept 1st. :)
I hope so! Right now the only discounts showing up available even for passholders, for my early November dates, are a $100 rate for a campsite, or $917 for AKL! Many resorts are theoretically included but show no availability except rack rate.

I just had an email from Disney Destinations this morning with discounts for November & December - including 20% off at WL & WL Villa's -- here are the details including dates.

Thanks for this info. These offers both exclude my dates in early November, and while another offer is listed for my time frame, it shows no availability except as noted above... No WL discounts at all. Hoping they will be offered before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter