Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea if the lobby will be fully open by February 2017?
The lobby itself is open. The only thing closed in the lobby is the main bank of elevators. Everything else is functioning normally. The construction walls on the upper floors of the south side of the lobby blend in well and aren't very obvious. So the look and feel of the lobby are still there, including all the totem poles. :) But whether or not the south wing is open by February is a real unknown. :(

Just got back from a wonderful vacation staying at the Lodge. I couldn't have been happier, the construction impact is minimal and it such a beautiful place to stay. One thing I did think of as we ferried over to the Magic Kingdom was why on earth did they not make WL a stop on the monorail? We are so close, which is so clearly seen since they removed the trees along the one side of the Lodge. WL is my favorite and its so wonderful, but I feel like that would have been the cherry on top of this resort :)

Do the rooms have a curtain that you can use to separate the sink area from the sleeping area like the moderate and value resorts do? I realized that in pictures I haven't noticed one. If not, has anyone noticed that this has or has not been an issue if one person is getting ready in the morning while others are sleeping? Thanks!

Just got back from a wonderful vacation staying at the Lodge. I couldn't have been happier, the construction impact is minimal and it such a beautiful place to stay. One thing I did think of as we ferried over to the Magic Kingdom was why on earth did they not make WL a stop on the monorail? We are so close, which is so clearly seen since they removed the trees along the one side of the Lodge. WL is my favorite and its so wonderful, but I feel like that would have been the cherry on top of this resort :)

That's good, another vote...could you hear any noise out in the back? Are the trees totally gone? We loved walking through the back behind the geiser and towards the ferry dock, but I think that's all under construction now?

DH and I booked this morning for our first stay at WL next month! We'll be there 8/27-8/31 for a short adults-only trip and I couldn't be more excited, I've wanted to try WL for quite a long time and DH is finally on board :) However I really don't know much about the resort, have been there once for dinner but that's it so I'll be reading this thread pretty thoroughly over the next couple days!

Do the rooms have a curtain that you can use to separate the sink area from the sleeping area like the moderate and value resorts do? I realized that in pictures I haven't noticed one. If not, has anyone noticed that this has or has not been an issue if one person is getting ready in the morning while others are sleeping? Thanks!

No I don't think there is a curtain but the sinks don't face the bed area like a moderate or value. There is a good floor plan here http://**************.net/2014/01/08/review-disneys-wilderness-lodge-continued-2/ and the first photo shows the sink area is off to the right of this corridor

.... One thing I did think of as we ferried over to the Magic Kingdom was why on earth did they not make WL a stop on the monorail? We are so close, which is so clearly seen since they removed the trees along the one side of the Lodge. WL is my favorite and its so wonderful, but I feel like that would have been the cherry on top of this resort :)
There has been quite a lot of discussion since the WL was announced as to why it was not added to the Monorail loop. It is a topic that comes up from time to time.

Most individuals have a strong view about not having a Monorail stop and that a Monorail does not belong in a Northwestern Lodge as it would ruin the great theming of the WL.

Another strong view expressed by many is the practical costs of modifying the resort Monorail loop to include the WL. Note the resort Monorail is inside the "Express" line so you would need to include a crossing or a "spur" to extend to the WL.

I have seen several renderings over the years that show a Monorail station on the grounds of the WL that is integrated into the resort but not right near the building to ruin the unique Lodge theming.

Summary: Don't expect a Monorail station at the WL in your lifetime but it is never to early to start saving for a Maglev station. :D :hourglass...

Dave

Another strong view expressed by many is the practical costs of modifying the resort Monorail loop to include the WL. Note the resort Monorail is inside the "Express" line so you would need to include a crossing or a "spur" to extend to the WL.

Here's a photo to better illustrate that issue. The WL is really not very near to the monorail line, as it curves away toward the TTC. An additional spur would need to extend quite far away from the original line and there's water and land to cross that might make things difficult. Overall it's probably prohibitively expensive and impractical.

Attachments

• monorail.jpg
    monorail.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 51
We just got back from an extremely magical long weekend at the Lodge, it was our first time ever staying there and it is definitely our new favorite!! You barely notice the walled-off levels in the lobby, the only thing that crossed your path with the construction at all like others said was the closed elevators. The path to the ferryboats is not under construction at all, and the pool was super fun!

That fourth floor desk was a great spot, but the only trouble was the internet speed was about 75 percent slower there than downstairs in the lobby! I have no idea how wifi routers work but it made a huge difference if I was in the main lobby vs. a little nook or fireplace corner. Even the Villas lobby across from Sturdy Branches had 4x faster internet than just around the corner in the Carrolwood Room, who knew??

But when in the lobby, the speeds were amazing, more than I needed! My husband and I actually ended up mostly the Villas lobby because the outlets were closer to furniture and less intrusive (we didn't want to be stringing power cords across floors where it might hurt someone) and when switched to the main lobby once we were all charged up. Of course I didn't really want to be working for a few hours while at Disney but I have to say the environment at the Lodge was so beautiful and relaxing I actually found those quiet hours where we were reclining and enjoying the lobby music while tapping away on our laptops really enjoyable and memorable!

We had a woods view where we could see the Contemporary and the Castle and the one night we were in the room for Wishes the fireworks filled our window! It was amazing! And at night hearing the boat horns in the distance was the most relaxing sound to sleep to.

We loved the pool, the resort felt almost empty and it was no trouble finding a spot in the shade which was very necessary because it was EXTREMELY hot! We've gone in the fall and winter before and this was our first summer trip and we thought we knew it was going to be hot but we had no idea. Thank goodness we chose such a beautiful resort so when it got to be too much we just headed back 'home' for a relaxing siesta.

I really can't say enough about how much we loved this hotel. We've stayed at the Boardwalk, the Yacht Club, AK Lodge, Coronado Springs and The Contemporary, and I'm sorry to say we've endured some disappointing issues at other resorts ranging from being downgraded, to going days without getting our room cleaned, to getting rooms lacking promised amenities like towels and a bathtub. There wasn't a single thing at WL that went even slightly wrong! And the cast members are easily some of the most helpful and cheeriest we've encountered. We're going back in November and we can't wait!!!

We just got back from an extremely magical long weekend at the Lodge, it was our first time ever staying there and it is definitely our new favorite!! You barely notice the walled-off levels in the lobby, the only thing that crossed your path with the construction at all like others said was the closed elevators. The path to the ferryboats is not under construction at all, and the pool was super fun!

That fourth floor desk was a great spot, but the only trouble was the internet speed was about 75 percent slower there than downstairs in the lobby! I have no idea how wifi routers work but it made a huge difference if I was in the main lobby vs. a little nook or fireplace corner. Even the Villas lobby across from Sturdy Branches had 4x faster internet than just around the corner in the Carrolwood Room, who knew??

But when in the lobby, the speeds were amazing, more than I needed! My husband and I actually ended up mostly the Villas lobby because the outlets were closer to furniture and less intrusive (we didn't want to be stringing power cords across floors where it might hurt someone) and when switched to the main lobby once we were all charged up. Of course I didn't really want to be working for a few hours while at Disney but I have to say the environment at the Lodge was so beautiful and relaxing I actually found those quiet hours where we were reclining and enjoying the lobby music while tapping away on our laptops really enjoyable and memorable!

We had a woods view where we could see the Contemporary and the Castle and the one night we were in the room for Wishes the fireworks filled our window! It was amazing! And at night hearing the boat horns in the distance was the most relaxing sound to sleep to.

We loved the pool, the resort felt almost empty and it was no trouble finding a spot in the shade which was very necessary because it was EXTREMELY hot! We've gone in the fall and winter before and this was our first summer trip and we thought we knew it was going to be hot but we had no idea. Thank goodness we chose such a beautiful resort so when it got to be too much we just headed back 'home' for a relaxing siesta.

I really can't say enough about how much we loved this hotel. We've stayed at the Boardwalk, the Yacht Club, AK Lodge, Coronado Springs and The Contemporary, and I'm sorry to say we've endured some disappointing issues at other resorts ranging from being downgraded, to going days without getting our room cleaned, to getting rooms lacking promised amenities like towels and a bathtub. There wasn't a single thing at WL that went even slightly wrong! And the cast members are easily some of the most helpful and cheeriest we've encountered. We're going back in November and we can't wait!!!

Sounds good...I'll be arriving at the WL on the 30th of this month, and have kinda been hoping that the crowds were diminished with the construction. If I can ask, did you find the dining options a little less crowded as well? Especially wondering about Roaring Fork.

Here's a photo to better illustrate that issue. The WL is really not very near to the monorail line, as it curves away toward the TTC. An additional spur would need to extend quite far away from the original line and there's water and land to cross that might make things difficult. Overall it's probably prohibitively expensive and impractical.

Actually, when you look at the bungalow construction from the air...they're getting pretty close to the monorail:

ftwilderness.png

Sounds good...I'll be arriving at the WL on the 30th of this month, and have kinda been hoping that the crowds were diminished with the construction. If I can ask, did you find the dining options a little less crowded as well? Especially wondering about Roaring Fork.

We mostly ate in the parks and only had one quick service meal at the Lodge, but every time we walked past Roaring Fork at various times of day it seemed mostly empty to us. More available tables than not.

I think all of the deluxe resorts have the sink area set so that you can't see the bathroom area at all from the beds. The wall between the sleeping area and bathroom area keeps out more light and sound than the curtain found in moderate or value resorts, imo.

That's good, another vote...could you hear any noise out in the back? Are the trees totally gone? We loved walking through the back behind the geiser and towards the ferry dock, but I think that's all under construction now?
They have a row of trees at the shoreline and then there are still trees by the boat dock area, geyser and service areas.

And the cast members are easily some of the most helpful and cheeriest we've encountered. We're going back in November and we can't wait!!!
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the WL. You reminded me why we come back there so often. We feel that the CM's at the WL are some of the best on Disney property. :)

Whispering Canyon Cafe was crowded at dinner times when we were there in January, but not too busy for lunch and dinner. Artist Point seemed a little less crowded but then we have never seen a huge crowd there. Roaring Forks is not crowded right now.

Thanks for all the posts regarding the expansion of the monorail to WL. A JIM HILL ARTICLE addresses this issue; in part, he writes:

"If anything, the very idea of having an ultra-sleek, modern transportation system making regular stops at Cypress Point's front door kind of undermined the sort of story that WED was looking to tell with this particular hotel. Which was: You're out at this remote spot in the woods. The whole point of booking a stay at Cypress Point was that you were looking to disconnect from the hectic, modern world and then reconnect with nature."

Lou Mongello/Josh Taylor have also talked about "CYPRESS POINT," one of four original MK-Area Resort concepts, later re-imagined as Wilderness Lodge. Interestingly, Cypress Point, in its concept, was to have been situated along the water with cabins!

"It may interest you to know that -- while Cypress Point / Wilderness Lodge was never intended to be connected to the Magic Kingdom Resorts monorail loop -- the Imagineers did initially plan on this wilderness-themed resort having its own unique internal transportation system.

Take a look at the 1994 era site plan that the Urban Design Group (i.e. the architectural firm that Michael Eisner tapped in 1989 to create a National Parks-inspired hotel for this 100-acre site) came up with for the overall Wilderness Lodge / Fort Wilderness campground area. Do you see that proposed rail loop in the center of this image?

Well, if Peter H. Dominick -- the lead architect on this project -- had had his way, the Fort Wilderness Railroad (which provided somewhat reliable transportation for Guests staying at the Fort Wilderness campground between the years of 1973 & 1977) would have been resurrected in a far hardier form. And this time around, that steam train would have taken people who were staying at Wilderness Lodge over to Fort Wilderness Junction. Where they could have caught a performance of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, had a meal or gone shopping in the new western-themed village that Dominick was looking to build next to Clementine Beach (i.e. that strip of sand to the right of River Country where Fort Wilderness visitors used to be able to swim. Until WDW officials began discouraging people from bathing in Bay Lake, that is)."

Actually, when you look at the bungalow construction from the air...they're getting pretty close to the monorail:

Your imagery reminded me to post a current aerial image to the DVC Expansion thread (and here, too) and your image as well, thanks:)

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 8.15.46 AM.png

Last edited:

Thank you for posting about your stay:)

No curtain is needed, (as @Wood Nymph posted), since there is a door to the shower/toilet and a wall between the bed and the sink area.

PINK ARROWS POINT TO SINK AREA:
IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

BED ON OTHER SIDE:
IMG_2396.jpg

SINK BEHIND OPEN DOOR:
IMG_2377.jpg

DH and I booked this morning for our first stay at WL next month! We'll be there 8/27-8/31 for a short adults-only trip and I couldn't be more excited, I've wanted to try WL for quite a long time and DH is finally on board :) However I really don't know much about the resort, have been there once for dinner but that's it so I'll be reading this thread pretty thoroughly over the next couple days!

How exciting! I'll add your dates to POST 1 and let us know if you have any questions.

Great little TR, thanks! I think one issue with the WiFi is "in-room" Vs. "resort." I completely forgot to mention to you that the in-room WiFi is always much slower than the common area/resort connections and I'll bet the 4th floor area is connecting through the in-room. I believe you can go into your WiFi settings and choose "resort" instead, at least I used to be able to do that. But, you figured out a better way is to remain in the lower/lobby WiFi areas and the VWL lobby area is a great place to relax and it's seldom crowded.

Congratulations on booking for November and I hope it's a longer stay:)

Thanks for all the posts regarding the expansion of the monorail to WL. A JIM HILL ARTICLE addresses this issue; in part, he writes:

"If anything, the very idea of having an ultra-sleek, modern transportation system making regular stops at Cypress Point's front door kind of undermined the sort of story that WED was looking to tell with this particular hotel. Which was: You're out at this remote spot in the woods. The whole point of booking a stay at Cypress Point was that you were looking to disconnect from the hectic, modern world and then reconnect with nature."

Yeah, Disney buses really bring home that rustic vibe. :rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter