Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
And another question... Is the resort really that empty right now? My understanding (please tell me if I'm wrong!) is that about half the rooms are closed right now for construction. Is it actually a lot less than that?

But then on top of that, I put in my dates for next month and all levels are still available for booking, which just seems really surprising to me. Has the resort just been running at that low a capacity? I'm thinking the pool will seem nearly empty--and buses too! Well, empty by Disney standards anyway!

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect while we're there. We're excited and can't wait for our first visit to WL in any case!

@Wood Nymph what stop is WL as far as buses go? If the first, how long does it take to go to Ft Wilderness then MK? If last, are there seats left?

I thought I read the bus goes to Contemporary, too? Is that correct?

The bus to MK is direct and only stops at WL. The bus to Epcot picks up at WL, then goes to FW, then to Epcot. It is about a twenty minute ride to Epcot. It is only about ten minutes to FW and then about eight minutes from there to Epcot. WL is the first stop coming back from the park.

The buses to DHS, AK and Disney Springs share with the Contemporary. They pick up at the WL first when going to the park or DS and stop first at WL on the return trip. :)

And another question... Is the resort really that empty right now? My understanding (please tell me if I'm wrong!) is that about half the rooms are closed right now for construction. Is it actually a lot less than that?

But then on top of that, I put in my dates for next month and all levels are still available for booking, which just seems really surprising to me. Has the resort just been running at that low a capacity? I'm thinking the pool will seem nearly empty--and buses too! Well, empty by Disney standards anyway!

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect while we're there. We're excited and can't wait for our first visit to WL in any case!
We stayed there in January and stopped by for a quick visit in June. The buses and boats were not crowded. There are less people in Roaring Forks. The dinner time crowd at Whispering Canyon Cafe appeared to be the same. It is a popular place for dinner, especially birthdays. The entire south wing is closed, which is half of the WL. And I think that the ground floor rooms that face the construction might be vacant, but I'm not 100% sure. They look vacant. But most of the villa building is fully occupied. It is not a ghost town by any means, but it is less crowded at the boat dock and bus stops.

Kook, congrats to your DD on her graduation!! Would you mind changing our dates on the log? The airline cancelled our flights, so it's been a scramble booking new dates and travel. We'll be there October 1-8. Thank you!

Of course I'll change them. Is it common for airlines to cancel that far out? Thank you for the congrats:)

KOOK- Congratulations on your DD's graduation! Will she be going to college in-state? Hope things are going well. Now that school is finally over, I am beginning to catch up here, and on the BC and BW threads. Even if I wasn't planning a trip, I would want to hang out here. Everyone is so nice and helpful.
So, when is your next trip?? ( I remember how much college tuition can drain a vacation budget!)
-

Thank you, @bluecastle:). Yes, DD's university is in-state and she just finished orientation and registration. We went on vacation right after graduation and I actually don't have a WDW trip booked, but I just might have to do something about that:scratchin. I had intended on taking my first solo trip after DD starts college, but, to be honest with everyone, many of the WDW changes in the past year have been disappointing to me. I don't want to use this thread to complain, but let's just say I'm not happy with the direction WDW is going so I've been on the fence about booking since August's trip. How about you? Do you have any trips to WDW in the works?!

Well, I've been away for a few months because,well,life happens,but I'm back and with a fresh perspective concerning our 4th visit to WL CL 8/24-9/1.

dH and I were last there the second week of December because we wanted to experience WDW during the height of Christmas season. During the last 6 months - 1) I had my right knee replaced, 2) DH had emergency stent surgery, 3)my Dad(94), has recovered physically from his broken hip,but refuses to go back to using a walker,preferring to stay in his wheelchair,so we're adjusting to spending time together differently,because he doesn't believe he has his mobility back, 4)daughter in law shocks whole family when she supposedly takes our three grandchildren to visit her family on the opposite coast and decides to stay there and not come back.....but we're all still here and continue to count blessings and think positive thoughts,because moving forward is the only direction we know to go in.

Sooooo, back in December,the North Wing was closed,but no walls were up anywhere,just outside construction. Then,as construction increased,I started looking at a split stay between here and the Poly. Then life happened,I was blown off course from WL, which turned out to be a good thing because it gave me a new view of the situation. This was the first visit I actually built in resort time during our 8 day stay and go figure,it's while construction is at it's highest and that skewed my whole opinion of our stay. BUT, now that I've had time to think about this- we never spent time at the beach,so won't miss that for now.

We walk so much during the day,we never made it to the gym like we thought we would,so won't miss that. We can still sit in a beautiful lobby and relax and people watch,so that hasn't changed. We decided that this visit will definitely be the first time we're using the pool and it's all done and brand new and that's a good thing. We can still walk to Trails End for dinner,another good thing. If we're lucky enough to get our second favorite room again,it's next to the current OFC and right by the elevator,so,another good thing.

The months changed my view from only thinking of the " bad" things to reminding myself of all that's good about WL and why we go back there once a year. Three years ago,we spent two hours on the roof when we were the Flag Family because Ranger Jack happened to have the time that morning. I think about all the CM's on CL that feel like family to us because they really are so wonderful and truly add to the Magic we feel. So WL started at 200% wonderful to us.....with construction, maybe the physical environment has knocked our possible experience down to,maybe,100%........so, instead of feeling trepidation towards our stay in August,we're looking forward to hearing " Welcome Home". When we hear that,the Magic just instantly washes over us and we're transported from reality to Disney in a nanosecond - nothing can change that!!!!!!!

:wave:
So much drama and August can't come soon enough for you, @fauntleroy1953! Many of the same CMs you know and love should still be at the OFC, even if it's still in its temporary location. Just think, if you get your favorite room, you'll be right next door - so convenient! And, WL will still be at about half capacity which is VERY appealing:)

I don't think I have your dates logged so I'll get right on that. I hope you'll post a full report for us in August:)

ETA: Just noticed you are the only one in the Lodgers' Log with a booked CL/OFC stay:confused3

Oh, and I turned 63 two days ago and I'm thrilled because if one considers the alternative, it's a fine number and a great age to be!!!!!!!

:bday::cake::bday:

Make sure you put a candle in your conch fritters;)

Thanks for the bump, @WDWKOOK! Just another gentle inquiry, would anyone staying there currently be so kind as to run a speedtest? Just go to speedtest.net and report the upload/download speeds for the guest wifi. It would be such a help for my upcoming trip when I know I have to do a few hours of work one morning. Thank you for helping a fellow lodger! :thanks:

Bumping one.last.time. for @Ellie Badge before you have to report on this yourself:upsidedow. I suppose you could also post your question to the RESORTS forum where more might see it.

BTW, a GREAT spot to spread out and get work done is at this fabulous, always empty, desk on the 5th floor. Outlets are underneath. Post about your trip if you can:)

IMG_1463.jpg

I'm sorry if this was recently posted.
Does anyone know the current hours for the mail pool?
Thanks so much!

I don't know for certain, but in the summer, the hours are usually 9:00 AM - 10:00 or 11:00 PM. The pool is only open when lifeguards are present.

Just booked our 2017 trip - 9/16-9/23 at WL. I've stayed here once before and fell in love with the place. We are booked in a standard view room. So since they've taken out the woods and there are no more woods views...does standard fall into that category now?

Congratulations on booking and I'll log your dates in POST 1.

Yes. There is still a lot of work to do in the south wing. They told us that they hoped to have the south wing finished by November. But from the pictures I've seen of rooms with the walls removed, I can't believe that it will be finished before 2017.

Thank you for posting what they told you along with your estimate:)

Last edited:
Of course I'll change them. Is it common for airlines to cancel that far out? Thank you for the congrats:)

Thank you, Kook! It's never happened to us before. We're flying Frontier and we've only flown into their Denver hub. Thankfully, everything has fallen into place and we actually prefer the new dates. Enjoy the summer with your DD! This is probably our last big trip before ours goes off to college.

Hi everyone. I have POR booked from 7/13-7/19 but thinking about changing to WL. I know there's construction but seems there's minimal impact. Anyone been there recently or have any thoughts. Hate to pass up a deluxe and my kids are older so will be at the parks most of the day. No need for playground or other amenities that are closed. Thanks!

Have you made a decision yet, @Shay212? Since all the closed amenities won't negatively impact your stay, I would change to WL and enjoy an upgrade to a half-empty Deluxe. The transportation options are more varied than a Moderate and like WL, they're also less crowded. You're also right next door to FW with more recreation and dining and an easy boat ride to CR with even more recreation and dining. Let us know what you decide!

First, I just want to share my excitement - 12 more days til my first stay at WL and my BIRTHDAY!! WooHoo!!

Second, I've been trying to find the perfect room to request - I booked Standard View - I really want a 6th floor room with a view of the castle/fireworks. I've been to touringplans, but I think a lot of their views are outdated from reading comments on here about the trees being gone now . . . Any room suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! I want this to be the best, most perfect birthday I could ever dream of!!!

I, too would request a 5th floor room. Just call Reservations and have it added to your booking at least one week out. Happy (almost) birthday!!!

This will be our first time staying at Wilderness Lodge (7/26 - 8/6). I have noted that the Red Flag boat only operates starting about a half hour before Magic Kingdom opening. We like to get to the gates about 45 minutes before park opening and also have a pre-park opening Bibbidi Bobiddi Boutique appointment one day. What is the best way to get to Magic Kingdom this early? We will have a rental car but am assuming that is not the most efficient method based on location of Wilderness Lodge. Would it just be best to bus it?

I'll add your dates to the Lodgers' Log, @gappedout:)

Xposted on resorts main page...

How is the walk from the transportation back to the villas and vise versa. Im worried about wildlife after dark coming back from the parks.

I found a club level at yaht club that would be $20 less per peron than the 2 bedroom at VWL but in order to get that price i have to get rid of the DDP. The others in my group think vwl with dining plan ks better than yaht club with no dining, but the wildlife is making me anxious.

Please let me know how the trail at vwl is. Thanks!

Just adding that you can't walk the trail after dark unless you use a good flashlight. The trail isn't illuminated at all. I discovered this years ago trying to jog on it before sunrise and had to head right back to the gym.

As far as wildlife along the trail, besides many deer who are mostly in the woods to the side, there are also some lizards, frogs, squirrels, birds and the occasional armadillo. FL is also full of snakes, so that's a possibility, too, but I've not encountered them on the concrete path. As far as gators, I have only seem them in Bay Lake while walking along the wooded path which is closed. Essentially, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. But, for us, the big appeal of that area is all the wildlife.

Thank you, Kook! It's never happened to us before. We're flying Frontier and we've only flown into their Denver hub. Thankfully, everything has fallen into place and we actually prefer the new dates. Enjoy the summer with your DD! This is probably our last big trip before ours goes off to college.
You're welcome and don't worry, you'll have more memorable trips;)

Bumping one.last.time. for @Ellie Badge before you have to report on this yourself:upsidedow. I suppose you could also post your question to the RESORTS forum where more might see it.

BTW, a GREAT spot to spread out and get work done is at this fabulous, always empty, desk on the 5th floor. Outlets are underneath. Post about your trip if you can:)

IMG_1463.jpg

@WDWKOOK what a GREAT spot!!! Thanks so much for the tip! I can't wait to check it out and will do a trip report after the weekend for sure. :D

@WDWKOOK what a GREAT spot!!! Thanks so much for the tip! I can't wait to check it out and will do a trip report after the weekend for sure. :D

I always love sitting there and I've never seen anyone else, though I'm sure others must have discovered the desk. It's a great view and pretty quiet and peaceful. The outlets are a bit awkward, but doable. Just look underneath the desk. Happy travels!

Aren't some of the floors in the lobby blocked off, looks like they are boarded up when you walk into it? Or am I missing something here?

Aren't some of the floors in the lobby blocked off, looks like they are boarded up when you walk into it? Or am I missing something here?
Yes, there are parts of the floors that are blocked off. The entire south wing is blocked off from the fourth floor up to the 7th floor.

4th floor - the viewing area that faces Bay Lake is blocked off and the entire south side of the resort is blocked off up to the sitting area over the front door. That sitting area above the front door with the comfy couch and fireplace, as well as the writing desk are still open for guests to use.

5th floor - the viewing area that faces Bay Lake is blocked off as well as the sitting area above the front door. And the entire south side, too.

6th floor - guests are blocked from looking out the windows that face Bay Lake. And the south side is blocked off.

7th floor - the balconies are blocked off so that club level guests can't view the lobby from the balcony. The club lounge is temporarily located in the VP lounge.

l4.jpg
This picture was taken in January and it was still blocked off when we were there in June.

l1.jpg
I've circled the areas that show the walls that block access to the windows on each floor. At the time I took this photo in January the 7th floor on the north side was still open. It is now closed off.

Last edited:
Yes, that are parts of the floors that are blocked off. The entire south wing is blocked off from the fourth floor up to the 7th floor.

4th floor - the viewing area that faces Bay Lake is blocked off and the entire south side of the resort is blocked off up to the sitting area over the front door. That sitting area above the front door with the comfy couch and fireplace, as well as the writing desk are still open for guests to use.

5th floor - the viewing area that faces Bay Lake is blocked off as well as the sitting area above the front door. And the entire south side, too.

6th floor - guests are blocked from looking out the windows that face Bay Lake. And the south side is blocked off.

7th floor - the balconies are blocked off so that club level guests can't view the lobby from the balcony. The club lounge is temporarily located in the VP lounge.

WL%20lobby%20all%20floors%20covered_zpsbriv82ln.jpg

This picture was taken in January and it was still blocked off when we were there in June.
Thanks. Ya, even with a deep discount, that there alone, would be enough for me to book elsewhere.

Thanks. Ya, even with a deep discount, that there alone, would be enough for me to book elsewhere.

Can I ask why? I just moved my reservation to WL for our first stay at the resort because it seemed like the construction was in areas that wouldn't really affect us. Why do you consider this a deal breaker?

Can I ask why? I just moved my reservation to WL for our first stay at the resort because it seemed like the construction was in areas that wouldn't really affect us. Why do you consider this a deal breaker?
Well because that lobby is so awesome and grand. The look of it, like it is there, would just put a damper on a stay there for me every time I would walk into it. I could handle the construction on the outside, and the view of it. But the lobby and the main pool area would be so very important to me.

The bus to MK is direct and only stops at WL. The bus to Epcot picks up at WL, then goes to FW, then to Epcot. It is about a twenty minute ride to Epcot. It is only about ten minutes to FW and then about eight minutes from there to Epcot. WL is the first stop coming back from the park.

The buses to DHS, AK and Disney Springs share with the Contemporary. They pick up at the WL first when going to the park or DS and stop first at WL on the return trip. :)
All of that sounds wonderful!! I'm so looking forward to staying here. I really hope it's not a problem for my coworker to switch us to WL at 7 months.

We wil most likely drive to all parks except MK as we have a handicap placard and can park up front. But it's nice to hear about all the other options.

Thank you for the reply!

Hey Kook,thanks for the replies!! Looking forward to seeing the usual gang at OFC. I think, because they are so nice,they're the reason I would feel a sense of betrayal if we stayed somewhere else. I'm intrigued by your statement concerning how WDW is changing...... I do admit,for myself,I have to make the effort to seek out the Magic now,when it used to come a little more freely. I'm also feeling that nickel and dimed everywhere feeling too....we'll be doing a few new experiences on this run- Norway ride,Soarin,Jiko wine tasting,Trader SAMs after 8pm, Jungle Book show......but we might wait until the new " lands" are completed before going back.......we'll see how much Magic we feel on this trip....

Well because that lobby is so awesome and grand. The look of it, like it is there, would just put a damper on a stay there for me every time I would walk into it. I could handle the construction on the outside, and the view of it. But the lobby and the main pool area would be so very important to me.

I've visited the resort for dinner and agree the lobby is amazing. But I guess the view in the pictures doesn't bother me that much. And I know we won't be lounging around in the lobby, just passing through coming or going to the parks! So for us that won't be an issue. Agreed, it would be nice if it wasn't there, but something I think we'll be okay dealing with.

But what about the main pool? I thought that was all set. Is there still construction going on there???? Maybe I have my information all backwards!

Hello!
Thinking of booking a June 2017 trip there depending on BB/AP Discount deals that are available in January. It says that the construction will be done in 2017, but there's no specific date given. Anyone have any inside info on this? I'm really the most concerned about using the pool.
Thanks!

I've visited the resort for dinner and agree the lobby is amazing. But I guess the view in the pictures doesn't bother me that much. And I know we won't be lounging around in the lobby, just passing through coming or going to the parks! So for us that won't be an issue. Agreed, it would be nice if it wasn't there, but something I think we'll be okay dealing with.

But what about the main pool? I thought that was all set. Is there still construction going on there???? Maybe I have my information all backwards!
No, I think the main pool will be ok, but I'm no expert.

@Wood Nymph thoroughly answered your question, but I may have been the cause of confusion when I posted about the 5th floor desk area. I assumed it was still open because it is right next to the 5th floor rooms in the North Wing which is the only open wing. The other seating areas with the fireplace and comfy sofas and overstuffed chairs is closed as those are in the South Wing and over the front entrance to WL.

Only the villa pool and hot tub is closed - the WL pool and hot tubs remain open.

Here is the list of closed amenities from the WL DVC Expansion thread (hyperlink below). The list was created by @Wood Nymph in January and I added some details marked with *

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 3.42.14 PM.png

Hello!
Thinking of booking a June 2017 trip there depending on BB/AP Discount deals that are available in January. It says that the construction will be done in 2017, but there's no specific date given. Anyone have any inside info on this? I'm really the most concerned about using the pool.
Thanks!

Welcome to the thread!

The only estimate I could find within all the public permitting paperwork was APRIL 2017. For more in-depth WL DVC expansion details, I created a thread devoted to the topic last year HERE. The hyperlink is also at the top of POST 1 of this thread.

@Wood Nymph thoroughly answered your question, but I may have been the cause of confusion when I posted about the 5th floor desk area. I assumed it was still open because it is right next to the 5th floor rooms in the North Wing which is the only open wing. The other seating areas with the fireplace and comfy sofas and overstuffed chairs is closed as those are in the South Wing and over the front entrance to WL.

The desk area is still open, but it is on the fourth floor, not the fifth floor. We had a room right outside this area on the fourth floor back in January 2015 and our son-in-law found it very convenient for getting some work done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter