Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered the poly. I think it's the best of MK resorts for transportation. Not necessarily my type of theme. Prices are similar to WL.
The Poly is a lot more expensive than WL aside from the least expensive rooms which are comparable (we have been back and forth between GF, WL, poly, and POR. My husband is disabled although not in the same way (he's blind).. Also, I used a wheelchair for 1 day last trip due to getting migraines and no one said anything /gave any looks getting on the bus- we love WL bec of it's size and location (close to mk)...

With DD's graduation and vacation...I've gotten way behind here:blush:

We made it and love our room
We got 6004, so a long way from the lobby but with having to use the side elevators it seems fine

Got a great view of the castle and there is lone tree left that blocks the construction from view. Not that I'm one to be concerned about seeing a little construction, I'm not. It doesn't take away any magic for me at all

One thing though, something that never occurred to me in regards to the construction, the workers have quite the potty mouths. They were letting the curse words fly, enough to make a sailor's toes curl. Maybe it was a rare thing, no idea. Having grown up the daughter of a contractor I was around a lot of them and know it's pretty normal conversational words for them. Just not sure it's normal, or well received at a Disney property

Anyway, it is something to be aware of I guess

Thank you for posting LIVE, @AngiTN :)

Hi everyone, I'm checking in in a few weeks and it looks like I may have to spend a few hours one morning of our trip working remotely. I searched the forums for information on wifi speeds but most results were a few years out of date. If anyone is staying there currently, would you be so kind as to run an internet speed test (just go to www.speedtest.net) and let me know what the present upload and download speeds are at the Lodge? That will help me plan my day and see if I'm able to work from the room or if I'll have to figure out a plan B, perhaps find a Starbucks or something nearby. THANK you!!

Bumping your question, @Ellie Badge.

Just booked today. May 6 - 12, 2017. Standard room. Tammy and Cole

Congratulations Tammy and Cole, I'll log your dates:)

We just booked the Lodge for May 23-June 1 and I can't wait!!:thumbsup2

Carla

I'll log your dates, too Carla.

New pics, videos and info added to Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge Pages on Facebook.

Thanks for letting everyone know, @Mrdski.

Hey y'all! Just wanted to say hi! Longtime Disney World lover but just now joining the boards. Love reading everything!
My husband and I are taking our "babymoon" September 3-8 and staying at Wilderness Lodge. I haven't stayed here since I was a little girl...20 plus years....but very excited to return.
This will be my 11th trip but only his second. He isn't as fascinated with WDW as I am, so keep your fingers crossed for a happy husband!

:welcome: to the DIS and the WL thread, @FTJbyAllie. We're honored to have your first post here and congratulations on your very special trip.

Is the entire South Wing going to be DVC or just part of it when the rehab is finished?

Thanks for any info!! :thumbsup2
Carla

No one knows for sure and Disney hasn't even announced any details about this part of the DVC expansion. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hey y'all, adding another question about construction :D

I'm researching a trip for this coming October-November. Probably Oct. 27 to Nov. 7 with a split stay.
For the last few nights of the trip I'm considering WL because I'd like a deluxe and the prices are very good compared to the rest of the resorts in that category.
My last trip to WDW was this past January- a split stay at POP and CR (TPV! Wow!) and the trip before that I stayed at Coronado a couple of years ago.

I personally wouldn't mind the construction at WL at all but I'll be travelling with a first timer and I'm a little worried that he might be put off by it.
I've read a few pages back on this thread, seen all the pictures on the different threads and sites.

So finally, my question is- as a whole, when you first enter the resort or when staying there, do you really feel the construction?
Having the main elevator or the beach closed up.. do you really feel/see it? Do you get a construction-y vibe?
Does it feel like a deluxe?

Price is an issue, otherwise I'd go for one of the other deluxe resorts. I'd really love to be on the monorail loop! (Or closer to Epcot because of F&W!)

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated :)
Thank you!

Something besides the "look" and "feel" to consider is that many amenities are closed. Asterisks are my additions to what @Wood Nymph had posted:
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.39.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to a map of the respect showing where the restaurants/lobby/elevators are in relation to the rooms?

We are looking to book a Standard room, which I believe are all in the same area of the resort. From what I can gather, they are pretty close to the lobby, no?

Does anyone have a link to a map of the respect showing where the restaurants/lobby/elevators are in relation to the rooms?

We are looking to book a Standard room, which I believe are all in the same area of the resort. From what I can gather, they are pretty close to the lobby, no?
Touring plans has that on the resort section.

But with the current elevator issue close to lobby is really pointless. The elevator isn't in the lobby anymore. The elevator is positioned more or less in the center of the rooms. Roaring Forks is right next to the elevator on the first floor

Only the North Wing, where all the dining is located, is currently open.

From POST 3:
lodge-png.142974

WL_Bookable_Categories_Map_20160104_zpsyqmfc5go.jpg

With DD's graduation and vacation...I've gotten way behind here:blush:

Kook, congrats to your DD on her graduation!! pixiedust: Would you mind changing our dates on the log? The airline cancelled our flights, so it's been a scramble booking new dates and travel. We'll be there October 1-8. Thank you!

KOOK- Congratulations on your DD's graduation! Will she be going to college in-state? Hope things are going well. Now that school is finally over, I am beginning to catch up here, and on the BC and BW threads. Even if I wasn't planning a trip, I would want to hang out here. Everyone is so nice and helpful.
So, when is your next trip?? ( I remember how much college tuition can drain a vacation budget!)
-

Need some professionals thoughts!:daisy: We are headed to WL staying in a 1bd. Son has asked to invite a friend. This would put the total in the room at 5. In the past, we have stayed at SSR in a 1bd & were able to have 5, using existing bedding. Is this an option at WL?

Are you in the villas? If so, yes you can add him to the reservation, but they will not provide bedding or towels to you for the 5th person. I have three kids and we have legally stayed 5 in a one bedroom many times. I usually order an extra towel package which is $6. That gives you a few extra anyway. We bring a twin aerobed with our own sheets. We drive so bringing it is not an issue.

Hi everyone! We are planning a Disney trip for early March 2017. My kids have their hearts set on the WL deluxe room with club level access. Any guess as to whether or not the club level lounge will be done with renovations by then? I know that there is a temporary lounge but I just don't know if I can justify the extra cost during construction.

Hi everyone! We are planning a Disney trip for early March 2017. My kids have their hearts set on the WL deluxe room with club level access. Any guess as to whether or not the club level lounge will be done with renovations by then? I know that there is a temporary lounge but I just don't know if I can justify the extra cost during construction.

Nobody has any idea when the Old Faithful Club will be completed in it's permanent location.

Well, I've been away for a few months because,well,life happens,but I'm back and with a fresh perspective concerning our 4th visit to WL CL 8/24-9/1.
dH and I were last there the second week of December because we wanted to experience WDW during the height of Christmas season. During the last 6 months - 1) I had my right knee replaced, 2) DH had emergency stent surgery, 3)my Dad(94), has recovered physically from his broken hip,but refuses to go back to using a walker,preferring to stay in his wheelchair,so we're adjusting to spending time together differently,because he doesn't believe he has his mobility back, 4)daughter in law shocks whole family when she supposedly takes our three grandchildren to visit her family on the opposite coast and decides to stay there and not come back.....but we're all still here and continue to count blessings and think positive thoughts,because moving forward is the only direction we know to go in.
Sooooo, back in December,the North Wing was closed,but no walls were up anywhere,just outside construction. Then,as construction increased,I started looking at a split stay between here and the Poly. Then life happened,I was blown off course from WL, which turned out to be a good thing because it gave me a new view of the situation. This was the first visit I actually built in resort time during our 8 day stay and go figure,it's while construction is at it's highest and that skewed my whole opinion of our stay. BUT, now that I've had time to think about this- we never spent time at the beach,so won't miss that for now. We walk so much during the day,we never made it to the gym like we thought we would,so won't miss that. We can still sit in a beautiful lobby and relax and people watch,so that hasn't changed. We decided that this visit will definitely be the first time we're using the pool and it's all done and brand new and that's a good thing. We can still walk to Trails End for dinner,another good thing. If we're lucky enough to get our second favorite room again,it's next to the current OFC and right by the elevator,so,another good thing. The months changed my view from only thinking of the " bad" things to reminding myself of all that's good about WL and why we go back there once a year. Three years ago,we spent two hours on the roof when we were the Flag Family because Ranger Jack happened to have the time that morning. I think about all the CM's on CL that feel like family to us because they really are so wonderful and truly add to the Magic we feel. So WL started at 200% wonderful to us.....with construction, maybe the physical environment has knocked our possible experience down to,maybe,100%........so, instead of feeling trepidation towards our stay in August,we're looking forward to hearing " Welcome Home". When we hear that,the Magic just instantly washes over us and we're transported from reality to Disney in a nanosecond - nothing can change that!!!!!!!

Okay, just found an opening for free dining next month and moved our reservation from CSR to WL standard room! Hoping I made the right decision!!!! After dinner there a couple times my boys decided this was their dream resort. But with all the construction I was really, really afraid to spend the money on a stay here. Since they're teenagers and college looms on the horizon, this is probably our last "big" trip. So decided to go ahead and make the switch.

Please help assure me I made the right decision! We don't care about the fitness club or spa, we're not staying club level, and don't have little ones that would use a playground or kid's club.

I think my biggest concern is transportation. We don't have a car there and rely entirely on the Disney system. We do go to all four parks and usually make one trip to Disney Springs. CSR seems pretty central and I hear so many good reviews of the bus system there. What can I expect at WL?

Hi everyone, I'm checking in in a few weeks and it looks like I may have to spend a few hours one morning of our trip working remotely. I searched the forums for information on wifi speeds but most results were a few years out of date. If anyone is staying there currently, would you be so kind as to run an internet speed test (just go to www.speedtest.net) and let me know what the present upload and download speeds are at the Lodge? That will help me plan my day and see if I'm able to work from the room or if I'll have to figure out a plan B, perhaps find a Starbucks or something nearby. THANK you!!

Thanks for the bump, @WDWKOOK! Just another gentle inquiry, would anyone staying there currently be so kind as to run a speedtest? Just go to speedtest.net and report the upload/download speeds for the guest wifi. It would be such a help for my upcoming trip when I know I have to do a few hours of work one morning. Thank you for helping a fellow lodger! :thanks:

I think my biggest concern is transportation. We don't have a car there and rely entirely on the Disney system. We do go to all four parks and usually make one trip to Disney Springs. CSR seems pretty central and I hear so many good reviews of the bus system there. What can I expect at WL?

The transportation right now is pretty good, since the boats and buses are running normally but the resort has less people staying at it. The boat to MK is great. The ride is about 12 minutes long and one of the best things about staying at WL. It is especially nice to get on a boat after the fireworks. While all the other resort buses have huge lines, the people on the boat are just cruising on back to the resort. :)

The Epcot bus shares with Fort Wilderness and the DHS, AK and DS buses share with the Contemporary. The WL is the first stop when going to the parks and returning from them, which makes it nice at night.

We stayed at POR a few weeks ago and endured huge lines for the buses at park close. I really missed the WL bus during those times. I also decided that I will never complain about the buses for a deluxe resort after experiencing what the huge moderate resort bus routes are like. I would not worry about transportation at WL. :)

Just booked our 2017 trip - 9/16-9/23 at WL. I've stayed here once before and fell in love with the place. We are booked in a standard view room. So since they've taken out the woods and there are no more woods views...does standard fall into that category now?

Last edited:
Just booked our 2017 trip - 9/16-9/23 at WL. I've stayed here once before and fell in love with the place. We are booked in a standard view room. So since they've taken out the woods and there are no more woods views...does standard fall into that category now?

There is no known official change yet in the bookable categories, so standard view will get you standard view or better. Since they are not accepting woods view reservations and yet they are still using those formerly woods view rooms, we figure that during the construction those people staying in them probably booked standard view, since they are not courtyard view which is the only other bookable category. In the future they could add another bookable category, perhaps something like "theme park view" which could add a higher price point for those North side rooms that can see MK. This actually showed up on the website a while back, but disappeared fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter